Gary Moore Signature LP Questions

mystique1

Reaction score
Oh please. Gary Moore never played one of these with a Granadillo fretboard while he was alive. The real thing was the 2001 Gary Moore Signature Les Paul.

I didn't say it was because he played one! The fact that a higher priced Signature model used Granadillo made me think there can't be much wrong with it, and of course the Studio I bought had a whacking £430 off RRP as well. :naughty: When I did my research on Granadillo, it turns out it's a quality wood. Only drawback for Les Paul lovers, it's a bit on the pale side!!

101ABN327

Reaction score

DangerMoney

Reaction score
Excluding the BFG, how many different GM Les Paul models did Gibson produce?

There seems to be at least two (see pics below):
  1. one with chrome pickup covers with the neck PU reversed and mismatched knobs.
  2. one without PU covers and matching knobs.
Do all of them have 50s necks?
I've come across one for sale that looks like the last one below and is being represented as a year 2000 model.

Gibson.com: Gary Moore Les Paul Standard

null-24.jpg

1359643579-29392500.jpg

djw171

Reaction score
Its just the two sig models that you mentioned, other than the custom shop re-issue of his '59 grenny burst.
The 2000 model came with brown case also, but had a blue interior and the 90's style inside cover with his signature silkscreen onto it. Also it came with a pickguard which was not factory fitted. I believe it was one of the first guitars to use the BB pup's. (Joe Perrys followed with BB's also) although I could be wrong there. The 2013 version has the reversed neck pick up as an homage to the greeny LP, but its not wired in reverse. Mix matched knobs again like the '59. Both great guitars. I'm looking for a 2000 model to complete the trio.
Gary was using a 'tweaked' version of his GM sig model in the last few years. So the 2013 model was based on that. He obviously didnt mind no binding and was more concerned about tone (of which he had plenty).

Mark Vernon

Reaction score
These are fantastic guitars, they feel and sound superb. Gary did play them, and the 2001 version and the BFG live, as well as many other guitars. If you have any doubts about these, PLAY ONE, then question it. If you have to have binding, move on to something else, there are plenty of LP's out there.

I find it quite comical they way some of you guys start snubbing Granadillo instead of Rosewood. Really!!! you could tell the difference with your eyes closed? you be telling me its going to change the tone next!

I've seen a couple more of these other than my own and every one is superbly finished off. Gibson did a great job and Gary is very much missed.
I've got a 2013 and yes it plays great, it does have a studio look to it, but you forget that when you play it, and rip into a Gary Moore backing track. I honestly couldn't tell the difference with the fretboard material, and I've had loads of L/P. I also seem to of moved to the next level of my playing with it, as the neck and sustain is to die for. The Burstbuckers I hate and are due to be swapped for coil tapped 57 Classics which for me, will make my Gary Moore signature mine and replicate his sound much closer . I will miss the guy forever and am going to visit his grave in the summer on my motorcycle. He's the reason I'm an old Rocker .

brianbzed

Reaction score
I've got a 2013 and yes it plays great, it does have a studio look to it, but you forget that when you play it, and rip into a Gary Moore backing track. I honestly couldn't tell the difference with the fretboard material, and I've had loads of L/P. I also seem to of moved to the next level of my playing with it, as the neck and sustain is to die for. The Burstbuckers I hate and are due to be swapped for coil tapped 57 Classics which for me, will make my Gary Moore signature mine and replicate his sound much closer . I will miss the guy forever and am going to visit his grave in the summer on my motorcycle. He's the reason I'm an old Rocker .
Agreed! Plug one in, turn it up...you won't give a damn about binding!

Latest Threads