Gary Moore Signature LP Questions

101ABN327

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the Gary Moore Signature Les Paul was produced without binding? Gibson calls it a "LP Standard but it looks more like a higher end Studio to me... Gary was a classic '59 player and his name and tone are synonymous with the Les Paul. I just think his signature model would be a more attractive guitar with binding...

LPGMTLMCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

Caretaker

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the Gary Moore Signature Les Paul was produced without binding? Gibson calls it a "LP Standard but it looks more like a higher end Studio to me... Gary was a classic '59 player and his name and tone are synonymous with the Les Paul. I just think his signature model would be a more attractive guitar with binding...

His request to make it affordable.

kasu

Reaction score
Seen him with one on stage.... If its good enough for Gary its good enough for me.... well, its probaly way too good for me actually...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0]We're not Worthy!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

matt748

Reaction score
I was really interested in one of these. I don't believe it does have a bound neck.
Also Granadillo which had stopped me purchasing one.
I just felt that for the money I can get a better Les Paul.

matt748

Reaction score
Is this Gary playing an actual signature les paul?
Looks very similar.

101ABN327

Reaction score
Yes. If you look closely at the truss rod cover, it has his name on it. Don't know if he's playing the first article Gibson made for him or if that one is a production model.

TheX

Freedom is NOT a safe space
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's about the money. They built what they wanted, and to get paid he has to be seen playing one. It's a studio at best.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
His request to make it affordable.
Yer just going for post counts.....stop it! Hate people that do that! ...lol :)

156 posts since 2007...wow! Slow it down posthoarder!

Sorry OP, back to the regularly scheduled thread :)

kasu

Reaction score
It's about the money. They built what they wanted, and to get paid he has to be seen playing one. It's a studio at best.

Nope. Standard specs, with full thickness body, just lacking the binding.

mystique1

Reaction score
I was really interested in one of these. I don't believe it does have a bound neck.
Also Granadillo which had stopped me purchasing one.
I just felt that for the money I can get a better Les Paul.

The fact the GM Signature had a Granadillo fretboard kinda made it ok for me to buy a Studio with it. It's lighter in colour, but feels great under the fingers. It's supposed to darken to a Rosewood colour over time any way, and its density makes it a lot more resistant to wear than Rosewood. I had an old Strat Plus from the late 80's, and there were large play wear divots in the Rosewood fretboard when I retired it after 20 years.

ulijdavid

Reaction score
Hello to all. I have been on this site for over two years gathering as much info as possible. I currently own 3 Les Pauls and have owned a 1993 "all Gold" Les Paul that was incredible. I have one of the Gary Moore tribute guitars. I was reluctant to buy the guitar due to these incredible "short comings" - granadillo and binding. Fact is....play one!!! They feel great and have incredible tone. Listen to and feel the guitar. If you look first, you are passing on something special. Sometimes I think those that are blind have a greater advantage.

matt748

Reaction score
Hello to all. I have been on this site for over two years gathering as much info as possible. I currently own 3 Les Pauls and have owned a 1993 "all Gold" Les Paul that was incredible. I have one of the Gary Moore tribute guitars. I was reluctant to buy the guitar due to these incredible "short comings" - granadillo and binding. Fact is....play one!!! They feel great and have incredible tone. Listen to and feel the guitar. If you look first, you are passing on something special. Sometimes I think those that are blind have a greater advantage.

Now I am rethinking things,
Should I try and get one of these?
I just want to ensure its worth the money. No bad reports from owners across the board either.

Nilitara

Reaction score
I've got one guys, purchased it just after it was launched. Got to say this is my No1, I've also got a 2013 Trad, but my Gary Moore pips it for me. These guitars are absolutely gorgeous. The stock Burstbucker Pros scream but also clean up really well.

I can understand some peoples view on the Granadillo used, but I kinda like it, it's not the normal rosewood so to me it's a bit different. It does also darken up somewhat after a few cleans with lemon oil. I've a feeling these won't be around soon, so I'm glad I got mine!

I can't praise them highly enough, mine is bloody heavy too. 10lbs, which is strange as it weighs more than my Trad, and they are not weight relieved.

null-25.jpg

null-24.jpg

09BB0C02-3706-46CD-B5FA-8DE4C0AF190B.jpg

tzd

Reaction score
The fact the GM Signature had a Granadillo fretboard kinda made it ok for me to buy a Studio with it.

Oh please. Gary Moore never played one of these with a Granadillo fretboard while he was alive. The real thing was the 2001 Gary Moore Signature Les Paul.

djw171

Reaction score
These are fantastic guitars, they feel and sound superb. Gary did play them, and the 2001 version and the BFG live, as well as many other guitars. If you have any doubts about these, PLAY ONE, then question it. If you have to have binding, move on to something else, there are plenty of LP's out there.

I find it quite comical they way some of you guys start snubbing Granadillo instead of Rosewood. Really!!! you could tell the difference with your eyes closed? you be telling me its going to change the tone next!

I've seen a couple more of these other than my own and every one is superbly finished off. Gibson did a great job and Gary is very much missed.

101ABN327

Reaction score
Interesting... I've never had the opportunity to play one or to even look one over. But I wonder why Gary opted out on the binding. I guess there is no data out there that chronicles the thought process between Gary and Gibson. I would have never thought they would be so heavy! My brain automatically defaulted to "Studio" when I saw no binding.

That's Gary in Post #5 and he's definitely playing one of these. It pops on stage visually and sounds solid and BIG! These are averaging around $2200.00 used on the different gear sites. It may be worth a look. I keep checking my local GC for one and the Manager is supposed to call me if one comes in. I'm a Gary Moore fan and would like to play one of these!

djw171

Reaction score
They were about $2400 new. Have Gibson stopped making them now?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Oh please. Gary Moore never played one of these with a Granadillo fretboard while he was alive. The real thing was the 2001 Gary Moore Signature Les Paul.

Did he play one after?

The 2001 Gary Moore didn't have binding either. It was affordable and sounded absolutely great. I was stunned by the tone it delivered.
Was a great buy.

1359643579-29392500.jpg

Latest Threads