Gary Moore BFG - pickup mounting ring holes

spinozist

Reaction score
I've not noticed before that there are marks around the humbucker on my BFG, and it's been suggested that they could have been the result of filling holes drilled to attach a mounting ring. I bought the guitar new from Thomann back in 2010 and - apart from adding strap locks - have not attempted any mods. Has anyone any idea how these marks could have been made at the factory?
bottom marks.jpgtop marks.jpg

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Sounds like they did not have a CNC program that would rout the top for the pickup slots without the holes to attach the covers...

My 2018 BFG has pickup surrounds...

Here is another close-up photo of a BFG GM, I don't think I can see those same plugged holes:

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
I've never even thought about it, but how are they mounted? to a plate like p-90s? with shorter screws?

spinozist

Reaction score
Sounds like the did not have a CNC program that would rout the top for the pickup slots without the holes to attach the covers...

My 2018 BFG has pickup surrounds...

Here is another close-up photo of a BFG GM, I don't think I can see those same plugged holes:
Interesting theory on the CNC program. As with your photo, I've not noticed the marks on any other BFGs [but then again I didn't notice them on my own until someone pointed them out :doh:].

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
How strange ... Thomann sometimes get special runs / extended runs of models no longer available elsewhere. Maybe this was a guitar made specifically to provide Thomann with additional stock and hence got made a little different?

Pete M

Reaction score
There seem to be a couple out there with pickup rings. It seems odd that people would feel the need to add them and not mention it when selling on a sig model, and they both still seem to have the pickup mounted in the wood. So could they be original? Perhaps there was some mix up at the factory?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GIBSON-GARY-MOORE-LES-PAUL-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-2009/202755666080?hash=item2f352df0a0:g:3VgAAOSwvA5dUh-d&LH_ItemCondition=3000

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/gibson-les-paul-gary-moore-signature-251599492

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
:hmm: Why was this thread moved to “Other Gibson’s”??

A BFG is a Les Paul,....

Seems like it would get more attention in the Les Paul section.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Sounds like the did not have a CNC program that would rout the top for the pickup slots without the holes to attach the covers...
Sounds about right. Trogly on YouTube (no affiliation) posted a video yesterday in which he took the pickguard off of one of the Billie Joe Armstrong Les Paul juniors with the ugly oversized pickguard. That particular junior has a single humbucker mounted to the pickguard, but under the pickguard, there were screw holes for mounting rings that had been sprayed over.

Best guess is that they're supposed to use a different CNC program for guitars without mounting rings, but sometimes examples like these slip through the cracks.

spinozist

Reaction score
How strange ... Thomann sometimes get special runs / extended runs of models no longer available elsewhere. Maybe this was a guitar made specifically to provide Thomann with additional stock and hence got made a little different?
Sounds another credible explanation.