Garmin GPS problems-I need the MLP techie squad's help--

Blues4U

Reaction score
I have several different GPS units for cars and my favorite one has gone crazy.

I have a Garmin NUVI 3590LM (LM stands for lifetime map updates)

This has been a completely problem free device since I bought it 3 years ago and last week I was traveling and it was working fine until I went through a series of mountain tunnels and the damn thing has lost it's electronic mind.

The GPS does not show details on the map now, it only shows major roads such as interstate and state hiways. It does not allow you to search any local attractions such as gas stations (it is actually stuck on the gas stations that were in the surrounding area when the damn thing quit functioning properly) If you punch in an address, it only gives you address options with that street name, in freaking Arizona, lol-- Seriously, this unit has not even been to Arizona, so it is doubly weird.

If you go to a location and save it as a favorite, you can go back to there, but if you try to punch in the same address, it will not recognize the address or it will give you the addy somewhere in AZ.

I first decided I would reload the most recent map update. That did nothing. Then I decided I would do a backup of the unit and then do a factory reset. Still, nothing changed.

The unit turns on and off and it is not stuck on a particular screen or giving an error message per se, it just will not find any address that is not located in Arizona.

I want to reload the Operating software and see if that fixes the problem, thing is, I cannot figure out how to do that seeing how the unit has the most up to date software loaded.

I cannot find any reference to this exact problem on the Garmin website so I figured I would come to the most logical place, MLP--

Surly one of you know it alls can help me figure this out and get this GPS unit back up and running--

:hmm:

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hope you get it straightened out. I thought those things went the way of the laserdisk, personally.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Call Garmin direct & explain the problem. I have found them helpful & easy to deal with.

I have the same GPS as you (2 actually, the Wife has one as well) & they are great IMHO. Have not had any issues with them but did have a software issue on my Laptop. Garmin sorted it out.

Good luck.

:cheers2:

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you get it straightened out. I thought those things went the way of the laserdisk, personally.

The problem is they're still just plain better than everything that's intended to make them obsolete.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The problem is they're still just plain better than everything that's intended to make them obsolete.

Curious as to how? I'd get one but it would have to beat an iPhone plus and that would be pretty tough to do.

Blues4U

Reaction score
Curious as to how? I'd get one but it would have to beat an iPhone plus and that would be pretty tough to do.

I know it comes as a shock to someone living within the confines of NYC, but there are plenty of spaces within the CONUS that have spotty to no cell service. There is always a satellite flying overhead, there is not always a good cell tower close by. Big storm or power outages will kill cell phone coverage, it will not hurt a satellite based GPS. BUT, some of the newer, cheaper GPS units use cell towers for position indication, those suck from my experience.

I have never dropped the GPS unit in the toilet either. ;)

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know it comes as a shock to someone living within the confines of NYC, but there are plenty of spaces within the CONUS that have spotty to no cell service. There is always a satellite flying overhead, there is not always a good cell tower close by. Big storm or power outages will kill cell phone coverage, it will not hurt a satellite based GPS. BUT, some of the newer, cheaper GPS units use cell towers for position indication, those suck from my experience.

I have never dropped the GPS unit in the toilet either. ;)

Even in the 3rd largest city in the world we have dead zones, too. I wonder if the Garmin is better than the factory nav in new cars somehow? Are there advanced features or apps somehow on them? Do they stick to the windshield how do they mount?

Mike's_LP

Reaction score
A few years ago, I updated my Garmin before driving to Long Island. Once I got a certain distance to NYC, it went full retard on me! a 2-3 hr. drive wound taking SEVEN on a Friday!!

Um....

... use your smart phone instead.

:dunno:

That's what I wound up doing, I found a way to prop it up on the upper dashboard. I've used it before and since without any problem, never again in NYC!

Chicago John

Reaction score

An auto GPS is engineered specifically to navigate while driving. It's much more ergonomic while driving, but most importantly it directly uses the nav satellites' signals, it doesn't depend on cell phone service.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
An auto GPS is engineered specifically to navigate while driving. It's much more ergonomic while driving, but most importantly it directly uses the nav satellites' signals, it doesn't depend on cell phone service.

The way I understand it, the cellphone also uses nav satellites' signals in conjunction with cell towers. In the absence of a cell signal, I believe you still have nav. I may be wrong but its how I think it works.

Blues4U

Reaction score
Update on bat$hit crazy Garmin--

Got with Garmin, did some talking back and forth Via e-mail. They asked me to do a diagnostic on it and tell them what showed up in the map file.

Turns out that the only maps that were loaded on this unit were the maps of the SW USa. They advised me to install a Micro SD card and reload the map files--Only thing was, I already had a 32 gig Micro SD card installed and thats where all my maps WERE, emphasis on WERE.

Rather than spend a couple more days conversing via email, I decided to go pick up another Micro SDcard and see if I could reload all the maps on it, as I was not able to load the maps back onto the SD card that was in the unit for some reason.

Picked up new card, installed it in the GPS, re installed the maps onto the new card and there ya go--a fully functional GPS--

Here is my question--WTF happened to the maps on my original card? What the heck happened when I was running through a series of mountain tunnels in PA that caused it to take a crap? The problem didnt start when I was updating or loading new programs, it occurred while I was on the road, with a trip already loaded and I hadn't touched the unit for hours when it went haywire--

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
The way I understand it, the cellphone also uses nav satellites' signals in conjunction with cell towers. In the absence of a cell signal, I believe you still have nav. I may be wrong but its how I think it works.

Plus with Waze you get updates on traffic, road hazards, speed traps, etc, Its ALWAYS updated the maps are never obsolete, I gave my GPS away, I had a big Magellan and I never used it once I loaded Waze on my Android

Blues4U

Reaction score
My GPS has real time traffic updates and construction stuff and what not--

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
I like my Garmin better than the NAV system in my Tahoe. The iPhone works OK but that uses data. In the end I just get lost a lot and bitch the entire time.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Update on bat$hit crazy Garmin--

Got with Garmin, did some talking back and forth Via e-mail. They asked me to do a diagnostic on it and tell them what showed up in the map file.

Turns out that the only maps that were loaded on this unit were the maps of the SW USa. They advised me to install a Micro SD card and reload the map files--Only thing was, I already had a 32 gig Micro SD card installed and thats where all my maps WERE, emphasis on WERE.

Rather than spend a couple more days conversing via email, I decided to go pick up another Micro SDcard and see if I could reload all the maps on it, as I was not able to load the maps back onto the SD card that was in the unit for some reason.

Picked up new card, installed it in the GPS, re installed the maps onto the new card and there ya go--a fully functional GPS--

Here is my question--WTF happened to the maps on my original card? What the heck happened when I was running through a series of mountain tunnels in PA that caused it to take a crap? The problem didnt start when I was updating or loading new programs, it occurred while I was on the road, with a trip already loaded and I hadn't touched the unit for hours when it went haywire--

corrupted data? It happens.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
There is always a satellite flying overhead, there is not always a good cell tower close by.
Could be wrong (it's happened a time or two), but don't most cellphones have dedicated GPS?

Pretty sure when I was in Europe, I could load a map and see my location without WIFI or cell service. The only problem was that I couldn't search for anything. In London, I bought a MIFI device and used that, but the same device didn't work on the networks in Paris (even though I was told it would). What I did there was just search for my destination when we were at our apartment, and then just take screenshots of the directions.

Latest Threads