Garage NGD

Ronaldo

Reaction score
I decided to call The Gibson Garage to see what they had available in the Original Collection series Les Paul Specials.
First off, NO TV Yellows and they couldn’t tell me when they would have them either but they had a couple in Vintage Cherry which is what I wanted.
They had two one piece body and One two piece body.
I chose the one piece body with the darkest fret board.
The salesman was a good guy and willing to work with me answering all my questions and sending many pictures.
Actually thought about driving 10 hours to see it in person and make an event out of it but at the last second, due to a few reasons, I decided to just have them ship for free. If it didn’t work out, free returns.
It arrive unscathed in three days.

It’s very nice and it’s the first brand new guitar Gibson I’ve ever bought.
I was offered a 10% off discount because of my military veteran status which I didn’t know they offered. That was an unexpected gift!
The whole experience was good although a bit nerve racking as I didn’t play it before buying which I never do and I kept thinking about this fat 50’s neck that every body talks about being fat and chunky. How would it feel?
Let me just quickly say, cause I’m getting long now, that it might be the most comfortable neck I’ve ever played. Yes it’s full but there’s something about the shape that I can’t explain that makes it so damn nice.
And those P 90’s? Nothing has to be said that y'all don’t already know.
The fit and finish is superb and she comes in at 7.75 lbs.
There is one drawback with this nice guitar.
It produces a lot of static when sliding up and down the neck and touching the back cavity covers.
I‘m hoping that I can wear it away soon.
I'll try to post up a couple of pics if I can figure out how to.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sl8UFl7O2Kvx1lwkaSHcmmBe2kgciQ7K/view?usp=drivesdk

All good.

smk506

Reaction score
Nice score! I love specials the way most people love juniors.

A big neck can be deceptively comfortable. A lot of people think thin and slim is a faster playing neck but not for me.

Try running a dryer sheet up the neck and around the covers, that can go a long way on that staticky noise you’re hearing.

Ronaldo

Reaction score
Nice score! I love specials the way most people love juniors.

A big neck can be deceptively comfortable. A lot of people think thin and slim is a faster playing neck but not for me.

Try running a dryer sheet up the neck and around the covers, that can go a long way on that staticky noise you’re hearing.
Yeah the neck really doesn’t feel big or wide and I have normal size hands.
I will try a dryer sheet to see if that helps.
Should it be a new sheet or a used sheet?

wyldelife

Reaction score
Welcome in the Special club!
D83C0B3C-4694-4C76-91AA-D623F4E69D5A.jpeg

zencat

Reaction score
I decided to call The Gibson Garage to see what they had available in the Original Collection series Les Paul Specials.
First off, NO TV Yellows and they couldn’t tell me when they would have them either but they had a couple in Vintage Cherry which is what I wanted.
They had two one piece body and One two piece body.
I chose the one piece body with the darkest fret board.
The salesman was a good guy and willing to work with me answering all my questions and sending many pictures.
Actually thought about driving 10 hours to see it in person and make an event out of it but at the last second, due to a few reasons, I decided to just have them ship for free. If it didn’t work out, free returns.
It arrive unscathed in three days.

It’s very nice and it’s the first brand new guitar Gibson I’ve ever bought.
I was offered a 10% off discount because of my military veteran status which I didn’t know they offered. That was an unexpected gift!
The whole experience was good although a bit nerve racking as I didn’t play it before buying which I never do and I kept thinking about this fat 50’s neck that every body talks about being fat and chunky. How would it feel?
Let me just quickly say, cause I’m getting long now, that it might be the most comfortable neck I’ve ever played. Yes it’s full but there’s something about the shape that I can’t explain that makes it so damn nice.
And those P 90’s? Nothing has to be said that y'all don’t already know.
The fit and finish is superb and she comes in at 7.75 lbs.
There is one drawback with this nice guitar.
It produces a lot of static when sliding up and down the neck and touching the back cavity covers.
I‘m hoping that I can wear it away soon.
I'll try to post up a couple of pics if I can figure out how to.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sl8UFl7O2Kvx1lwkaSHcmmBe2kgciQ7K/view?usp=drivesdk

All good.
Had an 80's one. Those pups should be P100's unless recent models went out with P90's. Nice guitars.

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had an 80's one. Those pups should be P100's unless recent models went out with P90's. Nice guitars.
Yes. Hot P90’s!
Current Specials, Juniors, Standards and SGs all use standard P-90s. P-100s aren't especially common in Gibson guitars. A few hollow bodies e.g. ES-135, early to mid-'90s Specials, an SG here or there. A P-100 doesn't sound like a P-90 at all, it's quieter and not as bitey.

Latest Threads