Garage Band or...?

Robmosis

Reaction score
So, I did some home recording about 10 years ago with a Boss BR1600 all-in-one DAW. So it’s been awhile. I just picked up a Focusrite Solo used for $40. I’m interested in the cheapest, most user friendly recording software for PC. I’ve heard that Garage Band is pretty easy. Just looking for experienced opinions. Thanks in advance.

Hogie34

Reaction score
For PC? Garage Band is for Mac not PC.
this. Garage band is a Mac program that comes stock with their computers. It’s ok for laying down ideas but beyond that...
Since you’re using PC , there’s quite a few low cost DAWs that will keep you busy for a while . Reaper is a great alternative to the bigger name DAWs . You get an infinite number of updates to the program.
It’s around $70-80 for the non-commercial license. I recently left the reaper platform for Logic just for the sake of continuity with other studios etc. I would have stayed with Reaper if that weren’t the case.

Static

Reaction score
Reaper is good and will do the job. I'm now using Cakewalk by Bandlab which runs on PC and is now free. It's pretty full featured, but the basic recording function is simple enough like Reaper.

Mexicanbreed

Reaction score
I´m getting into Reaper for music production and it is a completely capable DAW. If you are interested in amp vsts, I´d suggest you check out Scuffham´s S-Gear. I actually don't miss any amp with it.

AML

Reaction score
Reaper is a bit like being thrown in at the deep end compared to Garageband (which is really Logic Lite).

Everybody who has put the effort into learning the Reaper interface loves it, but it really needs an "idiot mode". Cakewalk was certainly easier, but I opted out when they shut up shop.

Latest Threads