Gaps under frets?

lgeoff239

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on these forums. I just purchased a new Les Paul Standard 50's. The guitar looks and plays great, but I was surprised to find that there are small gaps under many of the frets (pics attached). I measured them with a feeler gauge, and there are 3 that are .005" and the rest are .003" or less. The frets appear level and I am not getting any buzzing so I am thinking the frets were just not pushed down all the way in the factory. Has anybody else encountered this? Just wondering if this is something to be concerned about or if its par for the course with with Gibson's current QC.

Attachments

Subterfuge

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on these forums. I just purchased a new Les Paul Standard 50's. The guitar looks and plays great, but I was surprised to find that there are small gaps under many of the frets (pics attached). I measured them with a feeler gauge, and there are 3 that are .005" and the rest are .003" or less. The frets appear level and I am not getting any buzzing so I am thinking the frets were just not pushed down all the way in the factory. Has anybody else encountered this? Just wondering if this is something to be concerned about or if its par for the course with with Gibson's current QC.
mine always had a gap of about .003" since the day I bought it .. I just leave it, fret tops are all level and I really don't think the gap effects anything

lgeoff239

Reaction score
Hmm, I figured it might be relatively common. I'm just concerned about dirt/gunk getting under there.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just kiss the frets a couple times each with this StewMac fret setting tool.

View attachment 474743
I was going to buy one of those, but I'm going to have to save up for a couple of months.

Seriously, the only thing that comes to mind is the neck might be a little dry. All three of my Gibson necks were extremely dry when I got them... two were shipped and one was from the local rack.
The color noticeably darkened after a treatment with Dunlop oil. I never looked for, or noticed gaps under the frets.

lgeoff239

Reaction score
You guys realize I'm kidding about tapping down the frets ... and that is an honest-to-God ballpeen hammer and not anything StewMac sells?

Just askin'.
I realized. I just mentioned that I thought about trying to tap them down (not with a hammer like that.) But I quickly thought better if it.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score

lgeoff239

Reaction score
I was going to buy one of those, but I'm going to have to save up for a couple of months.

Seriously, the only thing that comes to mind is the neck might be a little dry. All three of my Gibson necks were extremely dry when I got them... two were shipped and one was from the local rack.
The color noticeably darkened after a treatment with Dunlop oil. I never looked for, or noticed gaps under the frets.
Yeah I am considering doing that. The thing is, once I oil the fretboard I might have trouble returning it, which I thought might be warranted if this is actually a problem. But from the responses here I’m gathering it may not be a big deal.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
You guys realize I'm kidding about tapping down the frets ... and that is an honest-to-God ballpeen hammer and not anything StewMac sells?

Just askin'.
I thought that was a real StewMac fret tapper..... like this StewMac relic-ing tool.

8FC7EB8E-1AB2-487D-A143-A1558DB9AB9E.jpeg

:rofl:

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I wouldn't be happy with that...I'm not sure what I'd do...but I wouldn't like it.
I would hope they checked out high with a rocker so I could knock them down.
I have definitely worked on guitars with dead notes due to raised frets.
If it wouldn't knock down, I'd run some CY glue into it and clamp it down.
A drying fret board could cause this.
If the frets were level and the notes ring true, I suppose I'd leave it and try to forget about it.

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Either the fret tangs are too long or the board shrank or they let it go out like that. Can O Worms IMHO, you would want to yank them all and Re- radius the board, re-slot the fret slots etc.. Everything I know worth knowing I learned from watching FreddyG. If it was mine I would just put a thin layer of CA glue in the gaps and forget about it.

Apologies for any ignorance I may have.

lespaul1648

Reaction score
If you feel this is the guitar that you plan on marrying then have a guitar tech take a look at. Music stores are somewhat opened now.

Latest Threads