Gabby Petito -- missing 22 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildhawk1

Reaction score

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This whole thing sucks, her parents must be in a state of mind that’s unimaginable...

I don’t have any children of my own that I know of but I do have 2 step sons I’ve raised since they were 11 and 15, that I got 22 years ago, I couldn’t imagine something happening to them and them not being around anymore to laugh with, or just hang out, I’d be a fuckin mess and I’d be filled with rage if it was anything other than an accident

I hope the parents didn’t help him when he came home, I semi understand the desire to protect him but not for something as big as murdering a beautiful young lady, I’d report them in a minute and beat his ass while they were on their way to get him

I‘m not sure why this one hits me so hard but it does

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the FBI nail him where would he be tried? I notice that Utah, Wyoming and Florida all have the death penalty.
If he's charged Federally, it could be California and he'd still be at risk for capital punishment, even though we have a moratorium on executions.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, if it happened in a national park, is that federal jurisdiction, making it a federal crime? Unless he killed her somewhere else and brought her body to hide, but that doesn’t sound like what happened, as far as I can tell.

Roberteaux

The Immoderator
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If the FBI nail him where would he be tried? I notice that Utah, Wyoming and Florida all have the death penalty.

Alan
If the FBI nails him, he'll be tried in the federal court, in whatever district the crime took place in.

The feds have the death penalty as a possible sentence for murder as well.

--R

Roberteaux

The Immoderator
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, if it happened in a national park, is that federal jurisdiction, making it a federal crime? Unless he killed her somewhere else and brought her body to hide, but that doesn’t sound like what happened, as far as I can tell.
Yes, if you commit crimes in federal parks, the feds can charge you and try you for it.

Because the entirety of the United States is a federal law enforcement officer's jurisdiction, the victim could be murdered literally anywhere at all in the United States and if the US Attorney General decided to press charges, then the perp could be tried in federal court just for murder...

That hasn't really happened much over the years, though. But where you'll see the feds getting feisty is when something occurs that might have been a multi-state criminal episode... like this one.

Right now, there's a bill before the House Judiciary Committee to abolish the federal death penalty. No idea if it's being strongly supported, or if it's just another bill destined to die on the vine.

--R

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads