Gabby Petito -- missing 22 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Rob's no "hick"! He's a YankeeFloridianCajun witch chef. :)

:laugh2:

And I think that you might be prescient, sir... for as it happens, right as I read your post I was just about to start cooking a roux for tonight's gumbo!

20210920_195301.jpg

--R :thumb:

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:laugh2:

And I think that you might be prescient, sir... for as it happens, right as I read your post I was just about to start cooking a roux for tonight's gumbo!

That's hilarious!! (stop making me look up words!) :laugh2:

Prescient:
ADJECTIVE

1. having or showing knowledge of events before they take place

BTW: You never showed this in your recipe you shared. From the picture I see, at what point do you add the Fancy feast? Secret ingredient??

rfrizz

Lenured Tuser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The murder - if there was one occurred in WY. So the parents can’t be charged with that. But if they helped the suspect allude the cops in FL, that is a separate crime and FL has jurisdiction.

Since he crossed state lines, are there any federal harboring laws which would apply?

rfrizz

Lenured Tuser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I could write a lot more about it. What you heard above was by no means the end of my personal involvement in this very curious case. But the rest of the story is not germane to the subject at hand soooo...

...guess I'll cut it short right here.

I know you like to keep to the topic, but since we have meandered into hicks like us and cooking.....

If you are up to typing out the rest of this story, must of us will read and enjoy it, I ga-ron-tee!

PapaSquash

Reaction score
My favorite scene from this movie. NAILS the northern Minnesota dialect.
When I lived inside Minneapolis, I had a neighbor who spoke exactly like that. Grew up on a farm in rural Minnesota. Meticulous guy who was retired from Honeywell Aerospace. Married to a casserole-totin' Lutheran farm-wife type who sewed dresses for my kids' dolls. The nicest people who ever lived. That dialect brings a bit of moisture to my eye.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Reaction score
If I was her father and saw him in a dark alley tonight those Twitter legal experts would tell me leave him alone because, "he hasn't yet been charged with a crime."

Nope.

That's the difference between you and me. I believe in the rule of law. You believe in in rule by lynch mob.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The murder - if there was one occurred in WY. So the parents can’t be charged with that. But if they helped the suspect allude the cops in FL, that is a separate crime and FL has jurisdiction.
Interstate.
Based on the encounter in Utah and body in Wyoming, FBI could push for kidnapping/murder, or murder took place in Utah and he took her to Wyoming making it a Federal case... may already be. Wyoming and Florida get in line.

Dave_W

Reaction score
There usually is a crime in being an accessory after the fact. That is, providing aid to a suspect, whether he has been charged or not. Is this crime occurred it occurred in FL.

True. But he hasn't been named as a suspect yet, and it hasn't yet been ruled a homicide. I expect that to happen soon.

Right now he's a "person of interest" but as I said earlier, that's not a legal term.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since he crossed state lines, are there any federal harboring laws which would apply?
Pretty dicey.
As a "person of interest" there is no harboring case. A person of interest may be a suspect, or a potential witness.
Once an arrest warrant is issued, then it would certainly apply... but I'm not sure how that would apply to them withholding information about actions that took place before the warrant was issued... it could be an ex-post-facto situation.
5A may also apply... can you be compelled to testify against a direct blood family member?

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pretty dicey.
As a "person of interest" there is no harboring case. A person of interest may be a suspect, or a potential witness.
Once an arrest warrant is issued, then it would certainly apply... but I'm not sure how that would apply to them withholding information about actions that took place before the warrant was issued... it could be an ex-post-facto situation.
5A may also apply... can you be compelled to testify against a direct blood family member?

Again, I can speak authoritatively only of Florida law, though I am aware of a few peculiarities that serve as differences in federal cases versus state cases.

In Florida, there's a spousal confidentiality privilege... which stipulates that a spouse cannot testify against their partner except for under a few limited circumstances.

I understand that in federal courts, a spouse still cannot be forced to testify against their partner... but that if a spouse elects to do so, the other spouse cannot preclude the testimony from taking place, as is the case in Florida.

No idea what the score is when it comes to parents testifying against their children in federal courts... but in Florida, there is NO confidentiality clause or any other privilege. That is, in this state a parent *can* be forced to testify against their child... or go through the rigamarole I detailed in a previous post, where they are taken in as uncooperative material witnesses, held on contempt charges and etc...

--R

AlanBiker

Reaction score
If the FBI nail him where would he be tried? I notice that Utah, Wyoming and Florida all have the death penalty.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads