Gabby Petito -- missing 22 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly a nature cam caught him on a trail. Or someone that looked like him with the same color back pack. They're investigating the area per tmz

rfrizz

Lenured Tuser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What can happen to the parents if they aided his escape?

That's a good question. I read that parents can't be prosecuted for harboring their child under Florida law, but I don't know about federal law. I don't know about Florida (or federal) w.r.t. parents
Here’s my observation. If anyone cares to comment please feel free to do so. I watched the first 5 minutes of the Traffic stop, haven’t seen any other media, and read a few comments here.

The officer first seperated the two, left the guy in the car and questioned the girl.

The girl was crying and shaking, apologizing for being OCD, admitting to doing something. She seemed under the influence of something besides adrenaline and cortisol.

They had her sit in the police car, then questioned the guy, who had blood on his face and his hand. He said he she had hit him in the face with her phone, and that she gets like that. When asked why he went off the road he said she had grabbed the wheel.

Based on that, and also what I believe is my responsibility, I’m not jumping to any conclusions re. what happened who did what and how they should be punished. I might watch some more of the video.

Despite the court of public opinion on display here, the presumption of innocence is one of the main premises of our society- I wonder why is that ignored so often?

Oh I get it’s the Media! The media that we all should“ignore” in it’s relentless hype, except when it gets the blood boiling?

Is there a logical reason for this, or is it eye for an eye chest bumping machismo braggadocio that is ultimately a load of tosh? The historical/ancestral precedent of the gallows pole is still alive and well?

Anyway, I am reasonably sure that if the tables were turned, and a man had hit a woman in the face and caused bleeding, he would have been arrested at the scene, no?

I think there has been a trend over the past decade to arrest women who have smacked their bf/husbands. I know a cop who will haul them both to jail in cases of mutual combat. She doesn't take much BS.

I wound up watching the whole video at 1.25X speed. The cops were going to take her to jail, but they considered everything, especially the fact that the bf didn't want her arrested, and he was going to get her out of jail the next day. The solution to get him a hotel room to separate them for a few hours, and cut her loose was not unreasonable.

You are right about the court of public opinion, but on the flip side, this "court" has no jurisdiction to do anything. It's just talk. I have not said so, but this isn't necessarily a murder. We don't know enough to say this, so it could be manslaughter. We know only that it is a homicide. We also know that he left without her, and is now on the run, and that tends to show guilt

This, BTW, touches on something which has always pissed me off. Whenever there is a police shooting, after the coroner's report comes in, TV reporters and talking heads become serious and dramatic when they say, "The autopsy report is in, and it has been ruled... a homicide!"

Gee. Really? I wasn't expecting that. </ironic sarcasm> Of course it was a homicide because all shooting deaths (police or otherwise) are homicides. Of course, they know that this means nothing, and has no bearing on whether or not the officer was right or wrong. But they gotta gin crap up in hopes of better ratings.

socialhero

Reaction score
It’s one thing to retain an attorney so you can make a statement while protecting yourself.

It’s another thing to retain an attorney in an effort to prevent having to make a statement in the first place.

If it walks and talks and quacks like a duck, well shit: maybe he’s born with it, maybe it’s habeas corpus.

Zungle

Reaction score
Here’s my observation. If anyone cares to comment please feel free to do so. I watched the first 5 minutes of the Traffic stop, haven’t seen any other media, and read a few comments here.

The officer first seperated the two, left the guy in the car and questioned the girl.

The girl was crying and shaking, apologizing for being OCD, admitting to doing something. She seemed under the influence of something besides adrenaline and cortisol.

They had her sit in the police car, then questioned the guy, who had blood on his face and his hand. He said he she had hit him in the face with her phone, and that she gets like that. When asked why he went off the road he said she had grabbed the wheel.

Based on that, and also what I believe is my responsibility, I’m not jumping to any conclusions re. what happened who did what and how they should be punished. I might watch some more of the video.

Despite the court of public opinion on display here, the presumption of innocence is one of the main premises of our society- I wonder why is that ignored so often?

Oh I get it’s the Media! The media that we all should“ignore” in it’s relentless hype, except when it gets the blood boiling?

Is there a logical reason for this, or is it eye for an eye chest bumping machismo braggadocio that is ultimately a load of tosh? The historical/ancestral precedent of the gallows pole is still alive and well?

Anyway, I am reasonably sure that if the tables were turned, and a man had hit a woman in the face and caused bleeding, he would have been arrested at the scene, no?

So.....yes the mob is restless.....guilty as charged.....but you gotta cut us some slack , it is an off topic guitar forum.....;)

My wife and I has discussed this a couple times now.......

In the police cam video she appears to be almost apologetic and mentions her having OCD a few times.......to me she almost sounded like she was explaining her bad behavior?

So I wonder.....what is the chance she was dealing with mental issues and does in fact become hostile and physical with the boyfriend......regularly?

What if she has a history of freaking out and getting physical??....

Its more common with women than you'd think.

So.....the boy friend finally snaps??....totally snaps!!

Not really self defense....but frustrated retaliation??

Retaliation resulting in her death, he realizes he is totally fvk'ed and has nowhere to go but home....to the only people that know what he's been thru....?

The boyfriends parents know of the violence in the relationship and are sympathetic ......yet realize they are in a jam and hire counsel....

Counsel, says make yourself scarce......maybe not having all the facts ??

Boyfriend makes himself scarce......very scarce.

Last edited:

PeteK

Reaction score
In the Kristin Smart case that I’ve mentioned a few times, the father was arrested for helping hide the body even though he had nothing to do with the crime except that. And as much as I’d like to say “fuck that guy for helping”, if my kid showed up with blood on his hands and asked for help, I’m not sure that I wouldn’t help him. He’s my kid.
Don’t judge the parents too quickly.
Kind of what I've been thinking. I can't say I wouldn't try to help my wife or kids if they came to me in that situation

05jrock

Reaction score

When it gets to a point of physical violence from your partner in a relationship, Its definately time to leave.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's 3:15AM PDT and I'm listening to BBC world on the radio. They are talking about Gabby.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad would have saved the embarrassment and make me disappear!

Mine too. With extreme prejudice.... He was real big on that 'only thing of value on this planet is your name' bidness...

He told my late big bro and I several times, "if you get locked up for something you didn't do, I will get you out one way or another. If you DID whatever they locked you up for, I'd better be the last sonofabitch on this planet to find out because I'll make a beeline to that jail and slap whoever I have to slap, just to get locked up in the same cell....and your ass is over.'

Tone deaf

Reaction score

Any woman calls the cops and says her boyfriend, husband f-buddy (what have you) hit her and with absolutely no other corroborating evidence or testimony, he's going to lock up for at least the night.

In this case, it could have saved her life.

rfrizz

Lenured Tuser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Counsel, says make yourself scarce......maybe not having all the facts ??

Boyfriend makes himself scarce......very scarce.

I may have misunderstood you, but...

No sane, competent attorney would tell a client to go on the lam. Not only would the attorney be committing a crime, that is horrible advice because flight to avoid justice is manna for prosecutors.

Last edited:

rfrizz

Lenured Tuser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s one thing to retain an attorney so you can make a statement while protecting yourself.

It’s another thing to retain an attorney in an effort to prevent having to make a statement in the first place.

If it walks and talks and quacks like a duck, well shit: maybe he’s born with it, maybe it’s habeas corpus.

Lawyers always tell people to keep their mouths shut, especially to police.

"[A]ny lawyer worth his salt will tell the suspect in no uncertain terms to make no statement to police under any circumstances." WATTS v. INDIANA 338 U.S. 49, 59 (1949).

Prometheus

Reaction score
I was talking to the wife about this yesterday. I said my mom loves me beyond description, but let me assure you, she’d turn me in if I did something like this. She wouldn’t even have to think about it, it’s the right thing.
If I did that, my dad will kill me first, then my mom will kill me again, twice over

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 3:15AM PDT and I'm listening to BBC world on the radio. They are talking about Gabby.
Interesting. Just watched the 10pm BBC news (I'm in the UK). Now watching Newsnight. Not a single mention.

fry

Reaction score
I may have misunderstood you, but...

No sane, competent attorney would tell a client to go on the lam. Not only would the attorney be committing a crime, that is horrible advice because flight to avoid justice is manna for prosecutors.
A man walks into a bar and loudly says to the bartender, "all lawyers are assholes".A man sitting at the other end of the bar says " I resent that remark". The first man says "why, are you a lawyer?" He says no, ........I'm an asshole!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Near Baker? That's NW FL.... He may not ever be seen again.....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember walking into a store up town when a little kid and the lady behind the counter would see me and say "I ain't calling yo daddy or yo mam, I'm calling yo granny if you do anything."

Oh hell no.....

Granny would revive me just so she could take my young ass out again.... The razor strap hanging in her back porch was well broken in.... Stayed pretty limber....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads