Gabby Petito -- missing 22 year old

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the FBI nail him where would he be tried? I notice that Utah, Wyoming and Florida all have the death penalty.

Alan
Good point that it can be tricky when multiple states are involved.

For a state to have jurisdiction over the crime, part of the crime has to be committed in that state.

A good example is an Alabama case from the 1990s. A couple kidnapped a 13y/o girl from a mall in Rome, GA, and later killed her a little over the state line in Alabama. Both states had jurisdiction, but only Alabama prosecuted.

Even though their trip started in Florida, the crime started in Utah, at the earliest. If, say, the cops searched his computer or diary/journal and found evidence that he was planning to kill her from the start, then Florida would also have jurisdiction, and he could be tried in BOTH states. I don't know about the states in between, but I wouldn't rule it out.

But this would turn on proof that he planned it from the start, and I don't think that is the case. I think they got into another heated argument, and he couldn't control his temper.

If he killed her in a federal park, this likely gives the federal government a swing at murder charges.

This is where "multiple sovereigns" comes into play. It seems like a violation of double jeopardy to most people, and I am inclined to agree. There is a big difference between kidnapping the girl in Georgia with the killing in Alabama and say, kidnapping in Niagara Falls, Canada and driving the victim to Niagara Falls, USA to kill her.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because the entirety of the United States is a federal law enforcement officer's jurisdiction, the victim could be murdered literally anywhere at all in the United States and if the US Attorney General decided to press charges, then the perp could be tried in federal court just for murder...
Would the feds have jurisdiction if an Alabama citizen murders another Alabama citizen by konking him on the head with a branch which fell from an Alabama tree? A century ago, they wouldn't, but I can't remember about today. I am assuming no civil-rights issues, of course. Let's say it was either two black men or two white men who went to the same church, had non-government jobs, and they were arguing about a card game.

fry

Reaction score
Autopsy confirmed her identity, and confirms homicide. No specific details given yet.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
If I was a suspect, my mother (86 years old) would grab me by the ear and deliver me to the police station.

Who doesn't raise their kids to love and respect human life? I guess humans have a way to become very myopic and unable to see the splendor of this world. The joy of human life, the amazing variety and richness of nature and so forth. I certainly have my days when everyone pisses me off (I am starting to think that it is me and not them), but to deprive another of life is very, very f*cked up.

I was just gazing out at the beautiful blue sky thinking how fortunate I was to be enjoying it...before reading this dark, sordid stuff.

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If I was a suspect, my mother (86 years old) would grab me by the ear and deliver me to the police station.

Who doesn't raise their kids to love and respect human life? I guess humans have a way to become very myopic and unable to see the splendor of this world. The joy of human life, the amazing variety and richness of nature and so forth. I certainly have my days when everyone pisses me off (I am starting to think that it is me and not them), but to deprive another or life is very, very f*cked up.

I was just gazing out at the beautiful blue sky thinking how fortunate I was to be enjoying it...before reading this dark, sordid stuff.
My dad would have saved the embarrassment and make me disappear!

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What can happen to the parents if they aided his escape?

Seven

Reaction score
Even John Walsh 'America's Most Wanted' host chimed in now vowing to capture 'dirtbag' Brian Laundrie. If they catch him alive and he gets convicted, he will have a huge target on his back in prison.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good question. I read that parents can't be prosecuted for harboring their child under Florida law, but I'm not sure know about federal law -- I think not. I also don't know about Florida (or federal) w.r.t. aiding escape/flight from justice.

Would Roberteaux care to answer this one?

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even John Walsh 'America's Most Wanted' host chimed in now vowing to capture 'dirtbag' Brian Laundrie. If they catch him alive and he gets convicted, he will have a huge target on his back in prison.
I have watched far too many prison/jail documentaries, and girlfriend killers seem to be out-despised only by rapists and child molesters.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
In the Kristin Smart case that I’ve mentioned a few times, the father was arrested for helping hide the body even though he had nothing to do with the crime except that. And as much as I’d like to say “fuck that guy for helping”, if my kid showed up with blood on his hands and asked for help, I’m not sure that I wouldn’t help him. He’s my kid.
Don’t judge the parents too quickly.

Mannish Boy

Reaction score
I'm not in favor of vigilantism, and I wouldn't want the girl's father to face charges, but I wouldn't cry for the "Laundry Kid" if vigilantes strung his ass up.
Ok, so's we sent Louie down to the Florida. He found the guy, say's it looks like he fell down, maybe hit his head on sumpthin'.

Last edited:

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Here’s my observation. If anyone cares to comment please feel free to do so. I watched the first 5 minutes of the Traffic stop, haven’t seen any other media, and read a few comments here.

The officer first seperated the two, left the guy in the car and questioned the girl.

The girl was crying and shaking, apologizing for being OCD, admitting to doing something. She seemed under the influence of something besides adrenaline and cortisol.

They had her sit in the police car, then questioned the guy, who had blood on his face and his hand. He said he she had hit him in the face with her phone, and that she gets like that. When asked why he went off the road he said she had grabbed the wheel.

Based on that, and also what I believe is my responsibility, I’m not jumping to any conclusions re. what happened who did what and how they should be punished. I might watch some more of the video.

Despite the court of public opinion on display here, the presumption of innocence is one of the main premises of our society- I wonder why is that ignored so often?

Oh I get it’s the Media! The media that we all should“ignore” in it’s relentless hype, except when it gets the blood boiling?

Is there a logical reason for this, or is it eye for an eye chest bumping machismo braggadocio that is ultimately a load of tosh? The historical/ancestral precedent of the gallows pole is still alive and well?

Anyway, I am reasonably sure that if the tables were turned, and a man had hit a woman in the face and caused bleeding, he would have been arrested at the scene, no?

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good question. I read that parents can't be prosecuted for harboring their child under Florida law, but I don't know about federal law. I don't know about Florida (or federal) w.r.t. parents aiding flight.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s my observation. If anyone cares to comment please feel free to do so. I watched the first 5 minutes of the Traffic stop, haven’t seen any other media, and read a few comments here.

The officer first seperated the two, left the guy in the car and questioned the girl.

The girl was crying and shaking, apologizing for being OCD, admitting to doing something. She seemed under the influence of something besides adrenaline and cortisol.

They had her sit in the police car, then questioned the guy, who had blood on his face and his hand. He said he she had hit him in the face with her phone, and that she gets like that. When asked why he went off the road he said she had grabbed the wheel.

Based on that, and also what I believe is my responsibility, I’m not jumping to any conclusions re. what happened who did what and how they should be punished. I might watch some more of the video.

Despite the court of public opinion on display here, the presumption of innocence is one of the main premises of our society- I wonder why is that ignored so often?

Oh I get it’s the Media! The media that we all should“ignore” in it’s relentless hype, except when it gets the blood boiling?

Is there a logical reason for this, or is it eye for an eye chest bumping machismo braggadocio that is ultimately a load of tosh? The historical/ancestral precedent of the gallows pole is still alive and well?

Anyway, I am reasonably sure that if the tables were turned, and a man had hit a woman in the face and caused bleeding, he would have been arrested at the scene, no?
You can never (without being there) rule out legitimate self defense.

But you don't ditch the body and drive back home acting like nothing happened.

Without that, this would just be another DV-turned-homicide and would never have been more than a blip on the local news in Wyoming and Florida.

Latest Threads