FX loop

xsouldriverx

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
so about 99% of the time i just play my guitar into my amp straight, and the 1% of the time i use a pedal i just put it between my guitar and my amp.
what is an FX loop for. are there certain things that sound better/can only be used in the fx loop?
im looking into getting into pedals (building and such) and if im getting an amp built for me should i consider the loop? if not i can save the money by not getting the loop.

doruondun

Reaction score
Loop means the chain order of your amp... But FX Loop is the place where you can put your effects pedal in that chain. It allows you to put effects between the pre-amp and power amp stages. It leaves the amp, connects to the effects and loops back into the amp.

If you have a clean amp, just plug the pedal straight to your amp... But If you have a distortion switch on your amp, you can try the FX Loop if you want.

As an example: If you have a chorus pedal and you want to use it with the distortion on. If you plug your pedal straight to the amp, you will get a chorus before the distortion, so the sound may not be good... But, If you plug your pedal to the FX Loop, you will get a chorus after the distortion, so you'll have much more control over that pedal and it will sound a lot better...

You can get much more detailed information here: http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/loop.htm

Adwex

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
im really asking because i like using a digital delay.

Digital delay works best in the fx loop.

The fx loop provides a means to place fx in the chain AFTER the preamp section, and BEFORE the power amp section. Some fx (including digital delay) sound better after the gain stage (distortion) of the amp, and that occurs in the preamp, so the fx loop allows you put your delay AFTER the distortion. If you put the delay between the guitar and the amp, and you have the preamp gain cranked to get distortion, the delay will most likely sound terrible. Same goes for chorus, reverb, flanger, etc.

xsouldriverx

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
so most "texture" effects go in the fx loop. overdrives in front of the amp. ok i see now. i know the fx loop allows you to put effects into the overall amp chain i just didnt know what effects should go there. much clearer now. thanks guys.

Latest Threads