FX Loop w/switchers (Boss ES-8 or TheGigRig)

socalanthony

Reaction score
As my pedalboard starts to grow out of control I find myself “tap dancing” a little more than I’d like so I’ve been looking into getting a Boss ES-8 or the TheGigRig G2.

Currently I have about 13 pedals and I have my delay chorus reverb type pedals running into the FX Loop and my overdrive distortion type pedals running into the input of the amp.

I’ve never used a switcher like the Boss or G2 before so I’m curious if these things are set up to use both the input AND fx loop of an amp.

Sorry if this is a silly question but I just don’t get how I can separate what goes before the amp's pre-amp or does it even matter with these switchers.

Thanks

Kuskas Nor Fyn

Reaction score
Yes, the G2 has a volume insert that can be placed anywhere in the chain. You use this to run to and from the effects loop on the amp. I think the boss does something similar.

socalanthony

Reaction score
Okay so I'm assuming that I can somehow tell the switcher which pedals to push thru the fx loop (via the volume insert) and which ones to the input of the amp, correct?

Brocko

Reaction score
Yes. Each pedal is in one loop, including the effects send/return. You can change the order of the loops.

socalanthony

Reaction score
Great!! Thanks.. Makes sense now

Anyone have a preference regarding the Boss or G2?

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
tricky one, as Brocko and I use the ES8, Broadhurst uses the G2.

I used to use the Gigrig Pro14 and loved it, but the Boss is ace. The G2 is sublime though. It really comes down to how much you're willing to spend.

gbroadhurst

Reaction score
As snaredrum said it really all depends on how much you want to spend. The G2 does have two more loops, however will not run effects in parallel like the Boss.
I bought the G2 just before the Boss came out and I'm pleased with my purchase. The G2 has had two software upgrades since I bought it which were $20 each. The Boss has had zero.

Kuskas Nor Fyn

Reaction score
I've decided the G2 is what I need, it's just a matter of time until I get the scratch together.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As snaredrum said it really all depends on how much you want to spend. The G2 does have two more loops, however will not run effects in parallel like the Boss.
I bought the G2 just before the Boss came out and I'm pleased with my purchase. The G2 has had two software upgrades since I bought it which were $20 each. The Boss has had zero.

yeah, Gigrig DESTROY Boss when it comes to support, aftercare, etc. They're amazing.

socalanthony

Reaction score
I was just about to pull the trigger on the Boss and then I stumbled on the RJM Music Mastermind PBC 10. I like the fact I can set up all my parameters via the computer which to me is worth the extra bucks since I don't think this can be done on the Boss. Has anyone had issues with the RJM Music Mastermind PBC 10? The G2 is nice but not sure if the price is worth it for me considering everything I need (at least I think I need) can be done with the es8 and pbc.

j200george

Reaction score
I run the boss. It's a good piece of kit though the manual is a disgrace. There's a Facebook site that covers the es8 and es5 which saves the day more often than not.

It can do pretty much anything switching wise though admittedly I find the lack of a usb and an iOS gui a real limitation.

Also some people find programming it with the assign functions straightforward. I struggle a bit, but that's me being a bit dense and not having the time or paitence to learn the details.

Also be prepared to stump up a couple of hundred on cabling/ Solderless cables/ patches if you want to keep it neat.

I play in a covers band with an increasing set list of our own material I find it really allows me to focus on playing and not on the tap dancing routine.

Latest Threads