Fuzz Face Bad with Les Paul?! Chase Tone Content

jwinger

Reaction score
A lot of people say a fuzz face is a bad match with a Les Paul...too much bass, muddy etc.

Well, maybe with some that's true. Chase Tone seem to have really addressed this with their 68 red velvet fuzz, however, which I was lucky enough to pick up cheap recently.

The main trick is the bass control, which seems kinda similar to the clean trimmer in the analogman man sunface. Less bass, obviously, as you turn it down, but cleaner also. Keeps the clarity on the bottom strings, if you want it that is.

The feel knob is a bias that goes from spitty to punchy and direct, almost like a great overdrive if you roll the fuzz back a bit also. More highs as you turn it up also so has a secondary function as a bit of a high end tone control

The mids knobs is self explanatory. It really allows the sound to cut

Fuzz seems to have a very nice taper. Unlike a traditional fuzz face, it's usable across its range, not just right at the end. For comparison, at 11 o'clock I get very similar tones to my low gain germanium analogman sunface, which had the clean pot set for max clean/min fuzz.

Plenty of volume on tap. First impressions I'm blown away by the versatility and tone. Heading to the studio later today to see if it has what it takes as volume to kick the analogman off the board...it's definitely more versatile.

A little clip below into a clean 65 Bandmaster. Two other things that supposedly don't work with fuzzes haha. Where do all these rumours come from!?

sputnik

Reaction score
Those are great fuzz’s! I actually like the new Fuzz Fella a little better. Check that one out too.

jwinger

Reaction score
Those are great fuzz’s! I actually like the new Fuzz Fella a little better. Check that one out too.
Haha I was looking looking at that also, but this is enough for me now I think!

jwinger

Reaction score
And here it is into a matamp series 3000 at proper volume...

Latest Threads