Furiously po'ed at Dell..

chasenblues

Reaction score
Until that time comes, you might want to try the Apple experience yourself.
Actually know of a person who "bought" a MAC of some type from a person.F-ed it up putting in the wrong password/s, Instead of getting the right one from who he got it from, tried combo's of what he thought it was and bricked it. Took it to the Apple folks thinking it would be no big deal and of course with no proper receipts they wanted to charge him.

chasenblues

Reaction score
I''ve already packed it up in the original packaging, and when I get back from out week drive up the coast, I'm going to BB and Geek Squad.
Did you buy it from them and if so are sure this type of an issue is covered by any warranty they might have..They might charge you also.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
This thread raises a larger issue. We consumers are sold computers, and the companies assume we all have IT degrees from MIT. Well, we don't. Some of us, in our working years, had IT departments that worked under us. We did what society calls "more important things".

Reminds me of the early 2000s when BMW brought out their 7 series with complex computer-based systems on these $120K cars, that sold to high level execs. A majority of the cars sold were returned the next day, and the buyers said they couldn't drive them. And folks in the skilled trades, like plumbers, couldn't drive them either.

Computer makers assume we are all geeks, and most of us are not. Right now, I can't see or hear any of the vids posted on this forum because " I am missing an Adobe player flash plug-in". I try to down load it, but it doesn't work for me. What the hell is a down load and a plug-in ? So until I take my Mac desktop to the shop, again, I continue to miss info here.

If the maker of most other products were to sell such junk, they would be buried in class action suits. The reason computer makers escape this death is that attorneys (like execs and those in skilled trades) don't have the knowledge to put the case together.

I just wish there were a non-computer way to participate in MLP. But there isn't.

pwhite

Reaction score
Are you using Safari or Chrome? Chrome has flash built in. The current Flash is only good for OS X 10.6 and up.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
This thread raises a larger issue. We consumers are sold computers, and the companies assume we all have IT degrees from MIT. Well, we don't. Some of us, in our working years, had IT departments that worked under us. We did what society calls "more important things".

Reminds me of the early 2000s when BMW brought out their 7 series with complex computer-based systems on these $120K cars, that sold to high level execs. A majority of the cars sold were returned the next day, and the buyers said they couldn't drive them. And folks in the skilled trades, like plumbers, couldn't drive them either.

Computer makers assume we are all geeks, and most of us are not. Right now, I can't see or hear any of the vids posted on this forum because " I am missing an Adobe player flash plug-in". I try to down load it, but it doesn't work for me. What the hell is a down load and a plug-in ? So until I take my Mac desktop to the shop, again, I continue to miss info here.

If the maker of most other products were to sell such junk, they would be buried in class action suits. The reason computer makers escape this death is that attorneys (like execs and those in skilled trades) don't have the knowledge to put the case together.

I just wish there were a non-computer way to participate in MLP. But there isn't.
+1.. computer makers need to realize this and make exceptions for people who have minor issues and help them to help out and fix the problems. Charging an outrageous price like the person should have been able to fix the device is ridiculous.

These quick repairs should be covered by the warranty or they should make it easy to fix it yourself. At this point there shouldn't be this level of complexity to use a PC or any device.

And while there are good forums to get help to fix your PC in many cases you need to have the time to get the help you need.

Ed B

Reaction score
Once my laptop craps I'm going to be done with Dell myself. Tech support hosed my father in law.

I recently bought a computer for my father. Very shortly after he became ill and didn't get a chance to open it. I figured we'd send it back and grab another deal when he's better and ready to use it. We had 30 days to return. It's day 33. They wouldn't take it back. Spoke to a manager and everything. I know it's clearly my fault for missing the window but I thought that was sh*tty.

wizard1183

Reaction score
My bro bought a desktop Dell in the late 90s. Had probs so he called Dell. I **** you not, that Pakistani named John had him on hold for over 2.5hrs! You'd call and just put the phone and speaker and do whatever you wanted cause it would take a lifetime to come back on.:laugh2:

I'm not dealing with that. I want an Americanese computer. So I went with a Mac. Sure I paid much more but I don't have the problems associated with windows and it does what I need it to do without worry.

JMV

Reaction score
Dave, you have just brought back so many repressed memories of trying to deal with Dell's "customer service". I had so many experiences similar to yours, being told I was going to be charged for x,y,&z even though I had an extended warranty. Uh, no. That's what warranties are for.

Thankfully I haven't owned a Dell in more than 10 years, and this is exactly why.

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
Dave, you have just brought back so many repressed memories of trying to deal with Dell's "customer service". I had so many experiences similar to yours, being told I was going to be charged for x,y,&z even though I had an extended warranty. Uh, no. That's what warranties are for.

Thankfully I haven't owned a Dell in more than 10 years, and this is exactly why.
JMV ! Haven't seen you 'round in a dog's age ! Glad to see you back ! Hope you aren't getting wet.

Sorry to hijack the thread, Dave, but I was just so happy to see my old Texas buddy.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've actually owned Dells forever since I dumped the Tandy 33.
They are all I've ever used at work.
Sent all three daughters to college with one.
I've never had a moments trouble with any of my work Dells.
I run em into the ground until they're so outdated they're too small for today's programs, then get a new bigger one.
Never a service call in all those years.
I like the product.

If that happened to me, I would feel the exact same way.
There's just no point in it being that way.

gem12

Reaction score
I love Dell computers. But when it comes to tablets, I buy nothing but the Apple iPad.
All my home PC's are DELL and never had a problem, if I want a tablet, I wont buy the Venue......not so good review.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick and valuable posts, fellas. Lots of good ways to go here.

MLP rocks. No doubt about it!

I''ve already packed it up in the original packaging, and when I get back from out week drive up the coast, I'm going to BB and Geek Squad.
Geek Squad will charge you $125 to place it on their counter and to fill out the paperwork. Any work is extra. I'm licensed computer repair, besides being an IT guy at the local high school. If you get it to me, I'd charge you $40 to $50. But in all transparency, I'd only Google solutions that you could Google yourself.

Good luck sir.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yeah, Gary,

Like how do we "google for ourselves"? I have a problem with my flash player. As posted above, if I download "chrome" all will be well. When I tried to go to a web site on my browser, I got a notification to download chrome. I clicked on it and what happened? not a damn thing. We are being sold these damned computers with no instructions. when we call for help we get ripped off. When we go to a computer service place nine times out of ten we get ripped off. Where are our Attorney Generals? In places like my former state of Okla., they probably have been paid off. But where is the US Attorney General?

rxbandit

Reaction score
Computers are tools. Being computer illiterate is nothing to be proud of. Basic computer updating and upkeep is not rocket science.

There's never been more information/tutorials available at your fingertips then now.

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Gary,

Like how do we "google for ourselves"? I have a problem with my flash player. As posted above, if I download "chrome" all will be well. When I tried to go to a web site on my browser, I got a notification to download chrome. I clicked on it and what happened? not a damn thing. We are being sold these damned computers with no instructions. when we call for help we get ripped off. When we go to a computer service place nine times out of ten we get ripped off. Where are our Attorney Generals? In places like my former state of Okla., they probably have been paid off. But where is the US Attorney General?
Dole,

Go here : Google Chrome Support page

Mac

Download the disk image.
Open the file called "Google Chrome.dmg."
In the window that opens, find the Chrome icon Chrome logo. Drag it to the Applications folder. If you don't have administrative rights, you'll be asked to authenticate. If you're not able to authenticate, drag the icon to a location on your computer where you do have rights, such as your desktop.
Open Chrome. We'll automatically import your homepage settings and browser history for you.
Open Finder.
In the window's sidebar, to the right of Google Chrome, click Eject .

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Most ink blots are designed to a sexual thought, according to shrinks.

All I see in the above ink blot is SteveC throwing up in his Benz.
Good catch!!!

If I remember correctly, it was when I caught you doing nasty things to that wooden mannequin in the back seat.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I wish I understood what you are saying about downloading chrome. To me, these instructions might as well be in Greek. While I thank you for your attempt to help, please understand that many in our population do not understand these terms at all. No offense, but do you know what "res ipsa loquater" is all about? The term comes from my former profession, before I retired, and if you did not train for that profession nobody should expect you to know. And I feel nobody should expect me to know the terms in your instructions on how to "download" chrome. (BTW, what does "download" mean?) I'm a retired attorney and have friends who are retired plumbers, brick and stone masons, and landscapers, and I don't understand their terms, nor they mine. Is this difficult for the computer industry to understand?

Latest Threads