Funny how strings can make a overall difference.

SNick

Reaction score
I replaced a broken Fender vintage tuner on my Strat this morning and for years I have been using D'Addario 10's on all my guitars. I was out of them this morning and used a set of Ernie Ball 10's I had lying around as backup. I was struck by the difference in feel and tone of the Ernie Ball strings and am not a fan. Anyone else have a similar reaction with different strings. Waiting on an order of new strings.....

Maybe it's just me. Probably just me. Yah, OK it's me.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I've used D'Addarios for over 30 years. I tried EBs that someone gave me, and could not wait to wear them out so I could get back to my D'Addarios. I just didn't like the EBs. The feel and tone were off. Not bad...but not what I was used to and what I like better.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I have to agree with both the above. Used D'Addario for decades, tried Dean Markleys recently, and discovered a new type of dislike. So went and bought a set of EB, discovered a new type of hate for them! I didn't wait to they wore out, changed them 3 days later.
Friends don't let friends play EB.

Red Beard

Reaction score
Its a feel thing with me
I swear i can feel the difference in D’addario and Erines
And im the opposite i prefer the feel of Erines or D’addario
I dont hear huge tonal difference in the same gauge,but change gauges and i do

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They make a bigger difference to me on how well I can bend and use vibrato, so in that respect a lot of difference in how I sound!

jbash

Reaction score
Strings make a big difference. I know there are always folks out there who say they don't, but I can sure tell the difference in tone and feel.

Feel has become much more critical for me in recent years due to my hand injuries, so I recently made the switch from Ernie Balls to D'ads. I've used Dads on and off for years and generally hate the tone but love the feel- they just did not work with my choice in pickups and speakers-complete mud. I needed the zing and presence of the Slinkys.

Long story short- after a bunch of pickup rolling in my #1 over nearly two years, I settled on some bright A5 pickups, but the slinkys were now too much zing. I knew Dads were the go to in this situation from previous experience (vintage style telecaster and Strat singles) and they are working out great not only for sound, but they feel better on my #1. They setup extremely well, and bending and fretting is easier. My hands are happier along with my ears.

As the saying goes- There's an a$$ for every seat :laugh2:

hbucker

Reaction score
I notice more of a feel difference than a tonal difference. Also, some brands don’t stay crisp as long as others. Which does become a tonal issue for me.

truckermde

Reaction score
I think strings make a big difference, and it's interesting to me that one brand of strings which is absolutely killer on one guitar, might not be so hot on another.

Such a multitude of variables which combine to create our tone.

Endless rabbit-holes for tone-chasing. :)

SNick

Reaction score
I'm not chasing tone anymore. I really am quite satisfied with my tone on all my guitars. Yah, I know lucky me. I will replace those EB as soon as I get my new strings in. It's kind of like missing an old friend.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used D'Ads for decades....bought a new Lester a few years back and flipped over the strings... Gibson Brite Wires... Used em ever since... 10s on Lesters, 9s on Fender scale....

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I’ve been buying strings in bulk for over a decade now. I honestly can’t tell the difference between them and regular Slynkys or D’Addario, Dean Markley, et al.

searswashere

Reaction score
Strings and picks make a difference.

EB’s havent done it for me, been a D’addario guy for over 20 years. Used to have a curt mangan deal and those were good too.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Used D'Addario's for many decades. Tried a set of EB's a few years ago and took them off immediately after playing with them. Forgot why I didn't like the EB's so I tried another set recently. I like the feel of the EB's I don't like the way they sound. Although I have a mixed set on my Keef tele with the brass bridge plate tuned to open G and they sound good.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used nothing but EB in the 70s and early 80s after briefly trying D'Addario XL.
Mid 80s I went to Dean Markley Blue Steel and stuck with those until the mid 90s.
Went back to EB 10s and stuck with them until a few years ago when I switched to DR "Pure Blues" Nickel and I haven't looked back.

9-46 hybrid on pretty much everything, though the R4 gets straight 10-46.

TM1

Reaction score
I've used nothing but Pyramid's for the last 28 years! Good German quality and very musical besides they last for about 5-6 times longer because of the quality of the materials!

ARandall

Reaction score
Being the thing that directly induces the signal in the pickup, the mass/construction of strings is vitally important......even within the same gauge these differences can be significant. But they are also an aspect of feel too, so its where the tactile/physical elements of the guitar overlaps to the electronic signal chain part.

RhytmEarl

Reaction score
A long time ago I went to the biggest music store in town and asked the guy (who I knew from playing in a band together) which strings were the most popular. D'Addario. So I bought those and stuck with them for decades. I figure they'll be the "freshest". I don't think a few weeks or months in a properly packaged set will make any difference but who knows? It's worked for me.

Now when it comes to flatwounds - Thomastik. Accept nothing less. They sound like a milkshake going down your throat feels.

sonar1

Reaction score
I’ve run the gamut. GHS Boomers and Nickel Rockers for quite a while.
My Slash LP came with EB Slinkies.

Now I’ve been on an EB Slinkies thang for a couple years. Seem consistent.

scooter500

Reaction score
I used D'Ads for decades....bought a new Lester a few years back and flipped over the strings... Gibson Brite Wires... Used em ever since... 10s on Lesters, 9s on Fender scale....
Thx for bringing these strings to my attention. I've been living under a rock so hadn't heard about Gibson's recent strings. Here's a short namm announcement:

Reactions: ehb

rich85

Reaction score
I live in Brisbane where the humidity is insane. Pretty much have to use coated Elixir strings.

I do like using pure nickel Gibson strings though. Not as bright.

Latest Threads