Funky Vintage Guitar Content

currypowder

Reaction score
Probably the funkiest MIJ guitar I've owned. I'm going to show my age, but it's only my deep love for The Cars that drew me to this one, even though it's not the same color as the one Ocasek has on the back of Panoramic and in the Touch & Go video (looks to be silver burst to me). Not an easy guitar to play sitting down, wants to slide off. The electronics and switching all seem to work as designed, lots of interesting tones to be had. Will need some adjusting and a little cleaning, but plays OK as is. Expect that it'll play much better when I'm done. Almost completely original except for the knobs, which will be easy to take back to near-original, strap buttons and the missing clear pickguard.

I present an early 80s (I'm guessing a 1980 based on the serial number 02107) Kawai Moon Sault MS-1000 in Cosmic Blue.

y4mFSTwmtzw5VL4VjaNJqd1yTso47KnjT5IAm5cxfa8Y_yPWitc4u9-p8npxgXkQfjNm6SWiM3S5g3VUtJ43mdNI61vwLFSISSZ5J7Gi31ZGhWVYCFiowIw1j4vAhC1uD6BLM6ZsglYTtDT7CmSw66kev_gSFREsyAEDU78oEPTEQjJ0cZS-HxUOpw2lDf4ROAQ

y4m9mWHT7NXoo9unCgffn11NMEoaBKI86aOOoiqlOXtO-Cyn-3Gjqk1TFYnFQzNk8dTUp2n4qkOhh4Mwe7B7mPno5ojs-AfNTo0f0QEJdM5a8MfEFUN5yZdbeOVQrGEcEFXOimvbVEciPV69_wcDo91ZE2hO4Bcx88i5t-zg2etCEfItlZchh7kYgY6AnL_DlqU

Puck Luck

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool, love the inlays. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it doesn't suffer from neck dive at all. haha

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
That’s cool.
I don’t recall ever seeing one of those.
I’m a sucker for unique and individual guitars myself.

I’m guessing typical good to very good quality and workmanship?
All of the Japanese stuff that I owned from way back when at least had a good neck - and skinny - with tiny frets.

I don’t recall seeing one with Rick Ocasek of the Cars.
Funny what passes from memory in four decades, eh?
I predict some Googlin’ ahead.

archey

Reaction score
Oh that's super cool! I'd really like to own a Kawai ks11 or 12. The slotted peghead on an electric intrigues me.

DavGrape

Oh, my darlin' what's her name.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The case!
Aye yi yi!

zeneffect

Reaction score
Those things are $$$ seen a few for sale, never cheap. Always wondered what the high price was about (then again I've seen the esp shoe guitar before too)

Grenville

Reaction score
Moon phase inlays, nice.

You could guess the year of the guitar by how many switches - not enough to be '76 or '77, just enough to be '79 or '80, lol.

currypowder

Reaction score
An update and answer to questions raised.

It was pretty dirty, but cleaned up nicely. Cleaned the fretboard twice before conditioning with a little lemon oil. The lacquer finish is in very good shape, almost nothing but a few pick scratches on the front. I wish it still had the clear guard, but maybe I can get one specially cut if I can find a template. I may try to source some white reflector knobs to at lease get the look back to original.

It plays nicely. The frets show almost no wear, but are a little on the low side. Could probably benefit from a leveling just to make sure all the frets are in line.

The neck is a nice medium C Shape and a little wider than most, which I like. The depth is about 0.87" at the 1st fret going up to about 0.95" at the 12th, very comfortable.

Definitely need a strap for this one, even when sitting, just to keep it stable. It hangs nicely, perfect playing position and I don't find it to be neck heavy at all. Only weighs 7.6 pounds.

The onboard electronics sound good and will be very useful in a live setting. Switchable and adjustable active boost/distortion circuit controlled by the first 2 minis and the middle knob. Then there's coil splitting and phase switching. All sound decent to my ears. Wiring is all clean and looks to be original. Pickups are Kawai.

Quality is very good, consistent with other late 70s/early 80s MIJ guitars I have owned.

I have no idea if what I paid was fair. I've seen these listed all over the place, though this particular model and color seems to be the model that lists the most. It will definitely appeal to those who like things a little off center.

Happy with this one, will keep it around for awhile, maybe permanently. I plan on taking it to the next gig, though not sure when that will be.

y4maci8Ihyh0VwNEe2hLa-Hl-E1WQdjzSYEEVgT1hdSAYHAQGg6KksewbvkE00PnUk1nBPfRlv554SEdQGtwgQVkTR2aylgn6iOrojLL0t01Za5sHYIEyIoFdPKzx01ytupIVdEy3T5rpyKG-NZ0A6J1777ac5XmF-b2MuvNxKLLbsjhnJRofq7GE5Tf8pi_bxT

y4mEH--dtjwYaGT-BrovwHNi8l5xtPtGlJp0MXdVaHxtn0TXX_zTKkW-roKpnWnt6dk-YNhIP2tZZshDglrFU_989123AaY4jMmmWd_CH2Oi9nBJ6Sud-qwOGP6tBliryAv6r56MOcmQeDoPjGncOQmvl4rZDZvswoFbSz0_WmhXsZWniYOnHX90Rpa5b20LHb0

y4mYqcWFmj4W8E1YTDEZmRZPJLybN_ZyQZvcZPgL8CixMXeYlGZmvoL4AfvAnzlzNM5PlcN4WopGVups8kNPmfn9V1m-GAiYr_StA3V3pToWLYzS5M3D_ema5upuJeafCgcqyt2Se_NwA7j-h8CRss4ciwSXD6034PnepaKWhH6wwRYewTXvvszbjbQ1123zgzO

Latest Threads