Fun with tube testers. Always have a spare.

fett

Reaction score
I have a TV-7 and a 6000a that I haven't used in years. I'm now getting back to testing a bunch of tubes. I found a pair of vintage 6ca7 tubes that could be very valuable if they tested well. I whipped out the 6000a. I read the instructions and everything. I plugged in the tube and pressed test. The needle moved up and down and wouldn't give a reading. Damn!!!!! I whipped out the TV-7 and tried again. I had to go on the web to relearn how to line test. Set all the knobs and let her rip. The needle worked!!!! The min. reading is 32. The tube is in the high 40's. That's a very good reading. I actually like using the TV-7. I'll deal with the 6000a later. I'm just getting started. :dude:They are GE.

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought, when the Amplitrex and Maximatchers came out years ago, that would spark a trend of new design tube testers that had the advantages of modern technology. ...that never happened.

redking

Reaction score
One of the amp techs I have used in the past has a tube tester that is the size of a recording console - I wish I could remember the name of it. He told me he purchased it from the manufacturer (now out of business) for ~$5k and has had offers over ~$10k to sell it now.

yamariv

Reaction score
Love having my B&K 707 tube tester at my disposal! It's saved me more than once when I bought tubes from questionable auction sellers..

I rebuilt and recalibrated mine recently so I know she's good to go and accurate. Just make sure you calibrate yours before using if you want to trust your readings. Testers are such a cool piece of machinery, mine is fully point to point hand wired, very cool!

Latest Threads