Full size tele bridge interchangeable with vintage strat style bridge?

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Alright so I’m thinking about putting an actual tele bridge on my tele.
It has this vintage style strat bridge.
FB36FC10-63B3-4C56-99E7-AA809757853F.jpeg

My geetar is a little dusty so it may be hard to see but obviously as you know, the screws that mount the bridge to the body are in between every two saddles. Three screws. I’ve only ever found this one.
1450D02D-FC2F-4A4B-9CCD-11CC6DD2952F.jpeg

It’s a Callaham and specifically shaped to be used with a bigsby. Which is what I’m going for. Problem is, I want a full sized tele bridge with the “ashtray” pickup mount.

the only one I’ve seen have three screws is this one.
719EC856-2837-4C76-BA3F-EADC496D62DF.jpeg

I don’t mean this is literally the only one, I mean the only three screw layout. In this one, the middle screw is a direct fit, but the outer screws are on the outside of the saddles, vs on the vintage strat style, they are in between the saddles.
50BAB1A5-570D-48B3-AFD7-72C9405A4F88.jpeg

I could probably use this but at the cost of having to route for bridge studs, unless I just use an arch top bridge but remove all the wood except what won’t fit the the holes?

finally this
2457710D-6D51-4D8C-8CD2-6D735ABFEA43.jpeg

Obviously the screws don’t line up like I need them to, but what if I only use the strap button screw and the center bridge screw? Would that be sturdy enough for only the center saddle screw and strap screw from the vibramate plate? I know I ask a lot of ridiculous questions on here but all I do is strive for information no matter how much of an idiot I look.
I wanna hear from ARandall, CB91710, Roxy13, and redking. You guys seem to be a little more aware. Thanks
-Davey

Hecubus

Reaction score
If you are installing a Bigsby, you can use any Bigsby compatible bridge you want (since string spacing holes won't matter). Fill the screw holes with dowel rods and drill new holes for whatever bridge you choose.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most modern Teles use the wide 3-bolt spacing. Older Teles, Mexican Teles and Fender reissues use the incompatible 4-bolt plate. Your Vibramate pic shows the 4-bolt plate.
I would use any 3 or 4 bolt plate for a Tele as Hecubus says. There is likely an ashtray version available. Plug the incompatible holes and drill new ones. The plate will hide the alteration.
Messing with the bolt pattern and leaving out screws may lead to a Vibramate that Vibrates ;)

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Most modern Teles use the wide 3-bolt spacing. Older Teles, Mexican Teles and Fender reissues use the incompatible 4-bolt plate. Your Vibramate pic shows the 4-bolt plate.
I would use any 3 or 4 bolt plate for a Tele as Hecubus says. There is likely an ashtray version available. Plug the incompatible holes and drill new ones. The plate will hide the alteration.
Messing with the bolt pattern and leaving out screws may lead to a Vibramate that Vibrates ;)
Hahaha good word play:applause:

Davey Rock

Reaction score
If you are installing a Bigsby, you can use any Bigsby compatible bridge you want (since string spacing holes won't matter). Fill the screw holes with dowel rods and drill new holes for whatever bridge you choose.
That makes since. Yes I planned on this if I was at a last resort. After all, considering I’d have this vibramate plate attached and lined up, I could use the holes to mark where I needed to drill as well.

ARandall

Reaction score
Yep, just dowel and fill for what you can't use.
That way you don't have to buy the whole unit linked and can just buy a bridge if you like the look of it, and a bigsby type you want (or an off brand unit)

I wanna hear from ARandall, CB91710, Roxy13, and redking. You guys seem to be a little more aware. Thanks
-Davey
If you put an @ symbol first then we get a notification @Davey Rock . Otherwise you have to hope we just stumble on the thread

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Yep, just dowel and fill for what you can't use.
That way you don't have to buy the whole unit linked and can just buy a bridge if you like the look of it, and a bigsby type you want (or an off brand unit)

If you put an @ symbol first then we get a notification @Davey Rock . Otherwise you have to hope we just stumble on the thread
Ok yea I saw that a few times but never really realized what it was for. Figured it was a way to name someone’s account properly or as a link but didn’t realize it gave notifications. Thanks for that!

Latest Threads