FSOT: 2001 Gibson ES-135 w/ seth lovers, case, looking for Les Paul or SG. Can add $$

sixstring531

Reaction score
Trades:
Looking for a Les Paul or SG. Can add $$$ if necessary
Guitar:
I count the 135 as one of the unsung heroes of the Gibson offerings over the years. Unlike the 137 and 335, the 135 has a balsa center, which gives it more of the full hollow body sound. In my opinion, it sounds like a big ole fat Les Paul. Think Thorogood playing an old Les Paul. The guitar simply rocks. With the Seth Lovers, cleans are beautiful, overdrives are superb and its one of those guitars that provides a little inspiration you may not have known was there. Love the trap tailpiece - sustains and rings for days!

Neck/Action:
Action and frets are fantastic. Whoever owned her before me did one heck of a good job on the setup and I didn't have to do anything. I've been playing quite a bit for more than a year and it hasn't needed adjusting. I did do the old nailpolish trick on the G and B saddles, as they would rattle at certain frequencies (sometimes). I tried other saddles, including a period correct Gibson, and none sounded as good as the original, so I fixed the original. If I can find it, I will include an extra saddles (the whole thing) at no cost. Action is subjective, but after 10+ Gibsons, I would say this is near (if not) the top as far as playability. It just makes you want to keep playing. Neck carve is more on the 60s side, though I don't know what Gibson called it for the 135 in 2001. It's not fat; it's not thin. Rosewood fretboard is beautiful! Dark, lush -- just a good looking rosewood.

Blems/interesting bits:
As this is a 2000s era Memphis, there are things to mention, as I would want to know if I were a buyer: You can feel the joint of the fingerboard/neck on some spots. No big deal, but don't want anyone to be surprised. On the heel joint, you can see some finish cracking/checking. It happens to all of them and is of no concern. The volume pots provide a little static about every 4-5 times I have it out. If I roll them up and down several times, it goes away for another time. If I had deoxit, I would clean them. Again, no big deal. Other than those, it is in great shape for an almost 20 year old guitar.

Case:
Comes with original case, which is in good shape with working lock.

$1290 obo shipped. CONUS
Will trade toward a Les Paul and can add $$ where necessary

Last edited:

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Looks great, I had a blue burst 135 and it had the same heel checking. These are great guitars!

sixstring531

Reaction score
Yeah - I am being a little overly "negative" in describing the guitar. Selling online you get a lot of kids who think everyone is GuitarCenter or Walmart and will use any excuse to try and return something they wanted to rent for an hour. So, I will put way more info than is necessary.

That being said, none of it is as bad as I describe and I did my best to use pics to show the "issues". I don't think there is a 135 out there that doesn't show exactly what I describe.

Latest Threads