FS / FT Beauty of the Burst : Brockburst 9 0913

brockburst

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats on the sale, wish I could have snagged that one but it wasn't meant to be..

I HOPE ARTIE BOUGHT HER! Can you tell us who the lucky (but broke) bastard is????
Haha well sure, as soon as I see the payment hit my account. He is a great guy and a big collector.

Texas07R8

Reaction score
So who is the proud new owner??? Artie, Frank?????

inquiring minds want to know...

brockburst

Banned
Reaction score
Italian Collector that I sold the "ugly" blue quilt 59 to with the matching headstock. Sad to see this baby go...I snagged a old wood replica from boogieongtr from the forum here and am putting the rest toward the down payment.

Everyone seemed to value the collectability of it more than I did, I wanted to play the hell out of it every day, mod it if i wanted, put PAF's in it...whatever. So I got a player's piece instead and banked the rest of the cash for the condo. I am definitely a collector, but at 25, I have many years to grow my collection.

19mab68

Reaction score
Strange behaviour to sell a guitar like that,and then think of you your self as a collector..
Best Regards/Michael..

brockburst

Banned
Reaction score
Strange behaviour to sell a guitar like that,and then think of you your self as a collector..
Best Regards/Michael..
for that kind of money i could buy many different collectables, and not worry about it..

thanks for your two cents tho :laugh2:

19mab68

Reaction score
The whole idea is to collect,not just to buy all guitars you can at the same time and think that you are a collector,and as soon as you get a nice deal,you sell what ever you collect,THEN YOUR NOT A COLLECTOR,THEN YOUR A BUSINESS-MAN!!!!!!!!

WoodyTone

Reaction score
You are 25?! I think I have a splinter older than that! GREAT guitar. Obviously you have no more maturing to do -- your priorities in life are dead on!

Bloody rocker

Reaction score
I know it's sold, and i didn't have the money to buy it but can someone tell me what is so special with this guitar? And why is it a BOTB Guitar??

THanks

Brian Brock

Reaction score
Pains me to do this, especially as this fine lady has only been in my presence for a short amount of time. Time to pursue a couple more "important" life ventures, such as buying my first house while mortgage rates are at historic lows....so. Here we go.

I have a Beauty of the Burst - Brockburst RI. The story and information that I have on this guitar is about as accurate as it can be, most people know how strangely tight lipped Gibson is about this in general. But, here is the story, with as much honesty and detail that I can provide. Its very cool, and there is some unearthing left to do no doubt. I would like to discuss with any interested parties directly, mainly to protect interested parties as a large transaction such as this should be done in confidence and be left to the new owner to come forward if they choose to.

About me - 100% Ebay Powerseller Feedback distinctive_guitar. Sold many high end guitars, including vintage gear, tons of references. Jdwright6 is my name on TGP. I shoot it straight, and believe in honesty. Thanks for your consideration. Ideally, I would like to trade this guitar for either a regular R8/R9/R0 or Murphy plus Cash. I am not really interested in anything else for the most part, but try me with feelers anyway.

History - I am sure you know who Brian Brock is, the original owner of one of the most famous 1959 Les Paul Standards, known of course as the Brockburst, featured in the Beauty of the Burst Book. Well he sold his guitar to vic dapra in 1983...and regretted it since then.

So after the book was released, gibson did a couple "ghost run" replicas of some of the beauty of the burst models. These serial numbers are not even registered with Gibson (you can call them if you like), a search shows "serial number not found" (931384) as this was a "secret project" as this guitar were apparently not supposed to make it into my appreciative hands. 2 Guitars were made for Brian Brock himself to perfectly replicate hisguitar. Tom Murphy was part of this project, unlike other regular Murphy's of that year or previous years. This guitar's wood was tracked down and hand selected by murphy, painted and slightly aged by murphy. Tom decided to leave most of the "aging" to happen over time but did replicate minor marks down to the shrunken E Tuner (I have emails from the owner to confirm this). This guitar also has a brazilian fretboard (unconfirmed by Gibson, confirmed by Brian Brock), and has a faded back just like the original. Also has a faulty dummy latch on the case, just like the original. Two of these guitars were built for Brian Brock himself, and he chose the one he liked the best, the other went was slated to go to a Gibson superuser who ended up missing his opportunity, and second on the list, who I bought it from, is a very well known studio owner in LA who's collection rivals anyone's. He paid cash for it sight unseen and had it until I purchased it from him a couple of months ago. Gibson confirms this guitar exists but will not provide any information (which is actually kind of funny), even though I have a signed COA from the President of Gibson. I have reached out to Tom Murphy and I also have emails from Brian Brock himself (very cool), and emails from the original owner documenting everything I have said. Even the original 1959 Serial number, 9 0913 appears on the back of the headstock. So I have included a couple pictures, and check out the one side by side to the Beauty of the Burst book.

As you can tell this seems to be one of the most secretive builds done by Gibson. It's interesting that since the mastermind Edwin Wilson, they don't seem to want much to do with the year 2003 at all. (Brazilian Boards, Stingers, BOTB's, other Music Machine runs etc etc) Rumor is these Beauty of the Burst runs didn't have permission from the owners to make recreations....so...without a lawsuit. They erased the serial numbers from their system as if they don't exist. The serial number on the COA which is covered up in the pics....is 931384. That serial number is found in the control cavity by the volume pots. The replica serial number 9 0913 is on the back.

Brian Brock

Reaction score
Disclaimer, I Brian Brock,
know nothing of what the above member "brockburst" posted.

Brian Brock

Reaction score
BTW....I have not "regretted selling it ever since." I got great money for it at the time I sold it, and have never looked back. I owned it for eight years and moved it on. I have had many other Bursts before and since that are equal to "The Brockburst". I have no idea who named the guitar after me, but it wasn't I. I'm not that narcissistic to name a guitar after myself. Rick Nielsen said it best when the greed took over the vintage guitar market: "In reality, there isn't a guitar made that is worth more than $5000." I have heard Hubert Sumlin get better tone out of cheap Japanese guitar than some guitar snobs hammering on their $400K Sunbursts. A PAF is a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands!
I wouldn't worry. This post is over 10 years old which is when the guy was last seen here.
That is how long it has been since I have been on here also. I am currently buying and selling 'golden calves' that are also great for idolizing.