FS: 1996 Gibson Les Paul '59 Reissue R9 w/ ThroBaks Good Wood ERA

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
For sale is my Gibson Les Paul '59 ReIssue or R9 from 1996 and its in unbelievable condition for a 19 year old instrument. As most of you know the early to mid 90's Gibsons are widely regarded as some of the best ReIssue Les Pauls ever built. The quality of woods and craftsmanship were extremely high. This era is known as the Good Wood Era. This guitar is a very fine example of the quality and craftsmanship of this era.

There are a hand full of small dings here and there, 3 on the top, one on the back, one on the side (lower bout bass side), and one on the tip of the horn. When I say dings though, most of these are so small that I can't photograph them well. Also on the back there are a few very very light buckle scratches. Again, can't get them to show up in a photo. Overall, the finish is really nice looking.

The top is extremely flamey and the burst is really killer. The quality of the mahogany back and neck are also very very nice.

One drawback - At some point this guitar was re-fretted with stainless steel frets. I don't really feel this effects the tone of the guitar at all and on top of that, the fretwork is absolutely perfect. This guitar will literally last forever. Now with that said, if stainless frets are a deal breaker, we can work something out and I can refret the guitar with Nickel Silver frets no problem at all. Please note, there are no longer nibs at the fret ends.

The big plus, there is an absolutely smoking set of ThroBak pickups in this guitar. ThroBak winds a mean pickup and these are a very fine example. They are model # - SLE-101 Plus and carry a retail price of $529 alone.

The neck is super comfortable, not to big, not to small, and measures .85 @ the 1st and .95 @ the 12th. The fingerboard edge has a slight roll that makes it even more comfortable. The guitar weighs in at 8.7 pounds, a great weight for a Les Paul. The guitar just had a full professional setup here at my shop and is strung with 10's. Will restring to the gauge of your choice and tweak the setup for the buyer.

Lastly, it comes with a newer Gibson branded Lifton Style ReIssue case. Really nice quality case for a killer guitar.

I really hate to sell this thing but it simply doesn't get played and I want to put the $ into other projects and gear.

I'm looking to get $5800 Paypal'd and shipped. Sorry, I'm not considering trades on this one.

DADGAD

Reaction score
That's a great one for sure. Just got a set of Throbaks myself and can wait
to try them. GLWS!

kmasters68

Reaction score
If I had the cash I would snag it. That top is perfect!

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This guitar is really special. Bananas even. Great weight, great neck feel. I plugged it into my JTM45 on full tilt and its got tone for days. I'll do a quick vid tomorrow. By the way, I've seen all original R9's from this period sell for $8K+ depending on the top, like actual sales. This is a deal and a half for one hell of a guitar.

Definitely open to offers. Hit me up!!

pmonk

Reaction score
Now that would make the perfect Christmas for someone!

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Now that would make the perfect Christmas for someone!

Yeah it would. :thumb:

Played it again yesterday for a few minutes. Absolutely smoking guitar. Don't miss it. Plays just as good as it looks.

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I need to get this thing sold asap. Need to pull the trigger on some stuff. Make me an offer!!! You never know.

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Ok, need this one gone ASAP. I have stuff that I've committed to that I need to pay for.

Massive price drop - $4200 obo paypal'd and shipped to the lower 48.

Latest Threads