Frustration joining a forum, I can log in, but am not allowed to post, don't know why

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
^ It makes sense for the dealer to tell the customer that not changing part X will make the car explode, because then the customer says "ok, $400 for a new cat doesn't sound so bad" and gets his visa card out.

In the real world, you could remove the cat entirely and fool the ECU with a couple of resistors and the engine won't care. Nothing bad will happen unless I've got my MoT hat on and I'm conducting a test. ;)

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
yahoo answers :laugh2: Didn't ask.com have any hits?

man who can't spell or punctuate said:
I fixed the same problem...same 2.5 liter Nissan engine...front Cat fractured in pieces, slipped sideways in exhaust pipes, plugged line, caused huge back pressure on engine, trashed the Oxygen sensor setup, ran terrible and no power, overheated engine, messed up internal seals, and then they said ...Gosh you really abused this car! They have a problem with these Years and Models...sue them. I did in small claims.........

Failed O2 sensor (or lack of servicing) collapsed the catalyst and blocked the exhaust. Driver continued driving despite lack of power until engine OVERHEATED and wrecked itself. This is what we in the trade call "owner failure" and it's really hard to explain to someone that it wasn't the car's fault that they ignored its pleas for help and flogged it until it died.

Selling horses was probably this bad too.

NRBQ

Reaction score
Still seems very odd from my perspective, which is that of a professional auto technician of almost 20 years with both autoelectrical and gov't mandated emission control testing qualifications. Main worry is that the cat is below the engine and connected to the exhaust ports, making it quite unlikely for material from the cat to find its way into the engine. Some failed cats blow their guts into the rear silencer, others melt and block the exhaust entirely. I've never found bits of catylist material in an engine.

There are plenty of cars where the cat is bolted directly to the end of the manifold without trouble, and I've never heard of this issue on a european nissan.

Of course, I could be wrong. It just doesn't sound RIGHT.

Well we're talking about the pre cat that is in the engine bay and is attatched to the maifold, not the cat that is under the car, there are two. The pre cat is known to disitintegrate and the particles get pulled into the engine and skink the motor, I'm sorry that you haven't heard of it but Nissan techs that work on the brand daily know all about it. Anyway I'm not wanting to get into a who's right thing, just trying to figure out a way to participate on an Altima forum.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score

NRBQ

Reaction score
Here's a bit from an active forum member:
"The OEM precat is not well made and placed 2 close to the engine block. That causes the cat material to heat up the. Break apart and get sucked back on to the engine by the normal exhaust back pressure. Since the cat material is ceramics and platinum and other porous materials it damages the cinder walls and pistons and a lot of other nasty things. The first symptom is engine oil consumption, but can escalate rather quickly. There are.many horror stories of completely blow. Engines due to the the precat P
0420 is almost always a precat. The longer you wait the more damage it will do to the engine."

And here's another from the same thread:
"Once you get a P0420, the converter will have to be replaced to clear that code. The deterioration of the precat is generally the cause as Ed has pointed out. An 02 sensor will not clear a p0420."

This from another forum poster:
The pre-cat issue is this, I'm trying to quote it as best as I can, saw it in numerous TSB's. At excessive heat and certain driving conditions, the materials in the pre-catalyst can deteriorate and sand-like particles can be sucked back into the engine, scoring the cylinder walls. This will increase oil consumption and/or coolant consumption which in turn will lower overall engine compression. If the owner continues to drive the vehicle under these conditions, the engine will need to be replaced.

Same forum as above:
well i had the same problems. fixed the headers and still nothing. i had to replace the engine at my expsne. any way nissan can either reimburse me or do something ? after all, there rep has gone down and i will never buy a nissan.

And yet more:
Bianca: I'm in the same boat (except mine is a 2003 Altima). From all that I've read, all the Altima and Sentra cars that have the QR25DE engine in it will eventually have this issue. I'm not a mechanic, I don't understand the whole reason behind it. However, I am currently working with the NHTSA on the issue (since Nissan's recall procedure didn't resolve the issue), and I would recommend that IF you replace the engine, it appears to be highly recommended to forego (get rid of) the precat, either by gutting it (completely getting rid of the honeycomb structure inside) or swap it out with a different header.

More more more:
The oil loss is caused by the ceramic powder from the broken down catalytic elements being sucked back into the engine, mixing with the oil, and acting as a grinding abrasive literally polishing your engine so far out of tolerance that the rings don't work and the bearings are all shot. Dead engine. Do not pass Go. I can only imagine the oil starvation issues if the filter gets all plugged up with that dusty gunk.

I could go on and on and on, I'm not making this stuff up, just because something doesn't make sense to you doesn't make it bull shit.

igore67

Reaction score
Typically I just search forums like that for answers and don't join up. This place was different.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
So what's your point?

Never mind. I thought you couldn't read posts either.

So... I just registered and I received my confirmation almost immediately and I can start threads, make posts, reply to posts, basically anything that I can do here. No problems at all.

I'll never go back there so if you want my user name and password for that forum to see if it works for you, send me a PM and I'll be glad to give it to you.

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
Ok, I'm done. Quoting people on other forums means you are WAI SRYS and I should bow out now.

FYI, the last place I'd look for advice on anything is an owner's forum.

NRBQ

Reaction score
Never mind. I thought you couldn't read posts either.

So... I just registered and I received my confirmation almost immediately and I can start threads, make posts, reply to posts, basically anything that I can do here. No problems at all.

I'll never go back there so if you want my user name and password for that forum to see if it works for you, send me a PM and I'll be glad to give it to you.

Thanks Barch, I appreciate that, I figured it wasn't normal and if you just joined and can post there must be some kind of glitch in my case. No need to let me have your info, if I can't get them to fix it I'll just lurk and find another Nissan or similar forum. Thanks for doing that, it lets me know that it really is me and not just the system. If you do go back tell them I say :wave:!

Electroman67

Reaction score
It takes up to a week sometimes to get access to reply and make threads, take a pill...it'll be aight...happened over at ford truck forum too....

NRBQ

Reaction score
It takes up to a week sometimes to get access to reply and make threads, take a pill...it'll be aight...happened over at ford truck forum too....

Oh it's been quite a while, I joined a few months ago, I had just never attempted to post before. After I did write them I waited a little over a week, then wrote again and waited another week or so, last time I wrote was a few days ago, so Ive been pretty chilly willy. At this point they are either on top of their site or they are at sea without a captain. I wouldn't have posted much anyway so not a huge deal. No doubt in a week or so when I write and finally tell them to F off and die, I'll get a quick welcome letter and be cleared for take off.

Electroman67

Reaction score
Oh it's been quite a while, I joined a few months ago, I had just never attempted to post before. After I did write them I waited a little over a week, then wrote again and waited another week or so, last time I wrote was a few days ago, so Ive been pretty chilly willy. At this point they are either on top of their site or they are at sea without a captain. I wouldn't have posted much anyway so not a huge deal. No doubt in a week or so when I write and finally tell them to F off and die, I'll get a quick welcome letter and be cleared for take off.

Maybe Hoross is a mod over there too.

NRBQ

Reaction score
Up early and thought I'd update just for the heck of it. I just decided to purchase a new pre cat and be done with it.

Nissan = Part $689
Napa = Part $569
O'Reilly Auto = $449
Auto Zone = $400
Amazon = $270
BestandFox = $229 Free Shipping, includes everything needed, gasket, springs, screws etc. OEM quality < Not very hard to do vs. Nissan's OEM pre cat) 5 Year Warranty. Direct fit, no cutting no welding.

There are plenty of solid reviews for the company and the specific product, I feel secure in the decision. I'll install it myself with the help of a friend that is mechanic.

To have Nissan install a pre cat would be around $1000, I'll take installing it myself for $229 Bob! Plus once the new pre cat is installed I'm done having to worry about this well known issue. This is a nip it in the bud type situation. The car doesn't burn any oil and I intend to keep it that way.

That is all.

Nissan

NRBQ

Reaction score
I don't think any ones here was asking or wants to know...:cool:

I have to say I'm with you on that one. If the guy didn't want to tell us than why did even even bring it up in the first place, was he trying to make us feel bad. Thanks for calling him on that stupid comment, I'm sure he's a semi nice guy but DAMN what were you tinking boiya.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
I have to say I'm with you on that one. If the guy didn't want to tell us than why did even even bring it up in the first place, was he trying to make us feel bad. Thanks for calling him on that stupid comment, I'm sure he's a semi nice guy but DAMN what were you tinking boiya.

Usually guys that say that are really dying to tell "the secret".....:thumb: Its a syndrome more pronounced in woman.

NRBQ

Reaction score
Usually guys that say that are really dying to tell "the secret".....:thumb: Its a syndrome more pronounced in woman.

I think you may be onto something there. The thing that kind of urked me was the "mechanics" just roundly dismissed what I said about the car and what a failed pre cat does to a 4 banger Altima as if I was some kind of idiot and had no idea what I was talking about. Of coure I am an idiot but they didn't know that, and what I said was spot on thank you very much. I just didn't want to get into a pissing contest about being right, although I just couldn't resist backing up my claim with others that have had the same issues with their Altimas. In the end, I just want to fix my car.

Latest Threads