From Zero to Hero - Gibson Explorer Custom '59 Tobacco Makeover!

Metal Guru

Reaction score
Very beautiful.
I know I seem to really like earth tone colors on any/all guitars. I think a lot of people do too. Maybe that's
why they are so expensive on the used market.

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
I hope that at least the Gibson Custom Shop is made aware of this thread and takes note. Just look at all the feedback so far! This guitar has it all, classic design and classic finish but they're both so pronounced that they are truly timeless.
Sometimes design ideas just come out far beyond the original concept - this is one of those. You and your luthier have great taste.

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
The back of the body, the back of the neck and the stinger are just as cool as any of the other aspects. The colors/tones used are so rad. So many cool details too, like the figuring tailing off of the selector switch.
:h5: jealous

Paul46

Reaction score
How did I miss this thread????

Stunning work. I'm envious of your skills.

Thorin

Reaction score
That's totally...and absolutely awesome!!! The back...and the back of the headstock....the transition to the neck....probably one of the best transformations I've ever seen....

How change the sound all the new wood you putted on it?

Salud!!

repoman1

Reaction score
You are FREAKIN kidding me. Just imagine how many Gibson could sell. Maybe they aren't in it for the money after all. Sorry, I take that back....It's the money, not the love of the instruments. If they could dream like this and execute the dream they could get back to the company they used to be. Until then I guess we just have to do it ourselves.
Excellent execution of the dream. Continue the beautiful work.

UKPortista

Reaction score
Keep coming back to this thread...it is, without a doubt, one of the finest looking Explorers I've ever seen.

GeeJay

Reaction score
I have to agree with the others, outstanding work and a truly amazing end result.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I can say that is the ONLY explorer I've ever liked- and I love it lol.

NINFNM

Reaction score
I like them White, but the work is outstanding

fretout

Reaction score
Beautiful job Oleynoir! Mr. Witkowski did a great job! I, like a few others, keep coming back to this thread! I was actually planning to do the full body, neck, and headstock binding to one of my Explorers, and have been in the "planning" phase for a few months, just so I get the job right!

i don't plan on putting any veneers on the top, but I wanted to learn from experience! Originally, was your fretboard on the explorer flush with the body (meaning the neck joint was similar to the top on a Les Paul, where it is graded at the same degree the neck sits), or was the fretboard slightly higher than the body?

I've noticed that Gibson USA has had BOTH types of joints on the past, and when I originally got the "Explorer itch" (around 2007), many of the Explorers I played in the local stores were about 1/8" or so above the face of the body, similar to how a bolt-on neck is usually more elevated than set-neck guitars. On my 2016 LE Explorers, the fretboard is directly on the body, and the body is graded to meet the fretboard flush.

The reason I ask is because I want to understand if Mr. Witkowski cut the veneers thin enough to meet the neck/fretboard joint, or if he had to sand down the body to have enough relief to have the veneers exactly as tall as the fretboard joint.

Hopefully all that makes sense!

Last edited:

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How did you adjust neck for the added top ?
Did you add under fingerboard ?