From wrap-around to bridge + stopbar

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I have an SG with just the wrap-around stopbar.
I'm considering adding some kind of tremolo / vibrola.
My preference goes to one of the meastro vibrolas. Or maybe some sort of tailpiece that doesn't require extra drilling.

In any case the wrap around needs to be replaced with some sort of bridge to set intonation.
I think there might be an issue with the way the bridge is drilled for. On this kind of setup, the wraparound is perfectly paralel with the pickup, while with a bridge + tailpiece the bridge is not paralel.
Anyone know if this can be compensated with a bridge with enough room for the saddles to move or does it need new holes drilled?

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Interesting, but not sure if I like to look of that.

I was going for this look:

But just using the wraparound as a bridge is a possible idea.
I'd rather go with the actual TOM bridge with individual saddles.

Anyone know if it will work?

I have the situation on the right picture:

1584529293036.png

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
If you wanna go with a tune o matic bridge you need to fill the holes from the wrap around and drill for abr studs. The studs need to be in the right place cause you dont have as much movement in the saddles as you do with the set screws on the back of a wrap around.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
If you wanna go with a tune o matic bridge you need to fill the holes from the wrap around and drill for abr studs. The studs need to be in the right place cause you dont have as much movement in the saddles as you do with the set screws on the back of a wrap around.
Thanks, that was exactly my question.

MSB

Reaction score
why does it have to have adjustable saddles? Does it not intonate with the current WA tailpiece?

If it doesn't, then you could always get a WA tailpiece that adjusts. I've had a few, but hated them all, that and they're ugly as sin, but to each their own. I have found the higher end WA tailpieces from vendors really do work better in the intonation department.

for a no drill trem, I'd look at a B6 with B3 hinge plate and either Towner/Vibramate adapter. Held on by the strap button and the tension of the strings, and if you want to take it off or don't like it, no one would be the wiser.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I always liked the bigsby but not on a SG.
Anyway the main concern is the bridge at this point and how to make it work with a trem.
I don't need the tune o matic perse but I much prefer the look of a regular bridge + trem because the look of keeping the original wraparound as some sort of bridge looks weird to me.

Back in the 70's they had this solution:

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I have one of these:

So I guess you get why I'm after the look with the meastro

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Don't forget the ebony board ;)
Weird guitar aint it.

MSB

Reaction score
I have one of these:

again, would NOT drill that, which is your only option it seems since you don't want to keep the wraparound. Have you ever played a maestro? they have a love/hate relationship. I did this to a LP since I don't have a SG at the moment, but I have a feeling as soon as I get one it will make a move, then probably with a DTs cover to complete the "look."

Attachments

mdubya

Reaction score
Just get an Original Collection SG Standard with a Maestro and save yourself the trouble! :p

Then you will have 2 guitars that retain some sort of value instead of one that you are out of pocket on, between the diminished value and the cost involved to do the work.

JMHO.

Reactions: MSB

judson

Reaction score
I have one of these:

do not drill this....what year?....wait a minute what is that? i do like the look of the maestro but i dont know :dunno:

Last edited:

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I'd like to prevent any drilling if possible. If drilling is involved I'll just keept it as is.

This guitar always has people confused but it's just a SG Goddess in 'ice burst'

mvanstee

Reaction score
Derick Trucks option
1584811171362.png
unless you actually want a Maestro. They dont stay in tune, which is why Derick came up with this.

tom and frayed

Reaction score
I'd like to prevent any drilling if possible. If drilling is involved I'll just keept it as is.

If you want to try something wacky, you could rig a type of floating TOM bridge. To keep it from moving around, you could make the base with llittle wooden pegs that go into the bushing holes. This way, you can have your TOM and it's totally reversible.

tom and frayed

Reaction score
I've never used a vibrato on a lightning bridge, but It seems like the strings would glide over it better than they would on a TOM.

Latest Threads