Friendly Neighborhood Rascist...

dangerdog

Reaction score
So here is a conversation I have been having with ebay user "Hutchebut" about a very nice Tokai I have for sale:

Hutchebut:And now why is it that I pay the same amount for a Jap copy when I can buy a used REAL Custom Shop piece right here in the USA?? Are you ****in crazy??

Me:Because in most cases they are better guitars for the money.Are you an ignorant racist ****?

Hutchebut:How did race come into play ? I guess if you are a little short dick midget Kamikaze then yes, I am, and why the **** do you think those fake Gibsons are better?? Open your eyes Oh... they are open sorry!!!

Me:How did race come in to play? Are you really so stupid that you have to ask that? I will explain.

First off you used the word "jap". That is a racial slur...like "nigger" or "spic" or in your case "cracker" or "redneck" or possibly "hillbilly".Then you continued your racist theme by insulting a Japanese brand you know nothing about and an entire country's guitar making abilities.

In fact, I shit you not, I showed a friend of mine (white guy) your initial question and the very first thing he said was "what a racist".

Since I personally have sold about 5000 guitars (50% USA made and 50% Japanese) and have about 50 in my personal collection, again 50/50 I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Japanese made guitars are every bit the quality of USA made. You, on the other hand, know so little about Gibsons or quality guitars that someone could sell you plywood Chinese fake and you wouldn't know the difference.

You are probably too dumb to understand this but I will try anyway......a very good luthier is a just that...doesn't matter what race they are or where they build. When a top luthier in Japan makes a Les Paul style guitar he uses top notch materials and builds them EXACTLY the same way as they do in the USA...often to more exact specs historically speaking. Dollar for dollar you are often going to get a better guitar in Japan. Better fit and finish, better woods, more historically accurate, much better neck and fretwork, that plays and sounds better.

Of course believe what suits you best...and who can blame you? Growing up in a trailer you never really had a chance.

zontar

Reaction score
Well, gotta take his side on this one. Who wouldn't get offended from being called a racist by someone who doesn't know them via the internet?

What he said wasn't even racist....

Well, he didn't come out & call him one--he asked if he was one--and he had reason to.
I think you're reading something into this.

dangerdog

Reaction score

Yes it was pretty clearly racist or maybe just ignorant but they are usually the same thing. Many, if not most, racists don't even realize that they are....it is just their upbringing.

To recap signs of his racism and/or ignorance in his INITIAL message:

The word "jap" is blatantly racist, perhaps some might not know this, but to not know it shows ignorance at least.

Tokai is known for making some of the best LP clones ever...to not know this and to contact a seller out of the blue to insult them about it is also ignorant....same thing to disparaging Japanese LPs as "copys".

Then there is the follow up rant which only someone who can't read would try to argue is not racist. or maybe that is just his idea of a joke?

Personally I think I had his number: he sounded like an ignorant racist, I asked him if was an ignorant racist, his answer was a resounding "YES!".

kevinh

Reaction score
He was ignorant of the quality of Tokai guitars- not of Japanese people.

He didn't call an epiphone a "Ch*nk" copy or say that a MIM strat was made by some "Sp*c".

He said the guitar was a Jap copy. Unfortunately for many of the liberal manpurse-wielding anti-gettingtheirfeelingshurt public, shortening "Japanese" to "Jap" in the interest of saving yourself the 2 seconds it takes to type the last 5 letters is a crime, now.

zeronalo

Reaction score
my wife is a jap - her family are all japs, a bunch of my friends are japs - I'm white and a minority where I live

no one cares. so clean the sand out of your vagina and quit making a big deal about it.

too many extra sensitive people out there these days making a big deal out of small shit

Freddy

slapshot

Reaction score
my standard response to this same question i've been asked a zillion times is always "if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand" sometimes they get a bee in their bonnet about it & demand an answer but its giggle worthy at best.

lunchbox

Reaction score
This reminds me of the Swiss snobs in the watch world that won't ever wear a Seiko. :facepalm:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHF9WfcEGb0[/ame]

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, gotta take his side on this one. Who wouldn't get offended from being called a racist by someone who doesn't know them via the internet?

Are you ****ing kidding me?

I'm pretty sure that you supporting the blatant racist's position makes you a de-facto racist yourself...

:hmm:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
my wife is a jap - her family are all japs, a bunch of my friends are japs - I'm white and a minority where I live

no one cares. so clean the sand out of your vagina and quit making a big deal about it.

too many extra sensitive people out there these days making a big deal out of small shit

Freddy

I'm sure that you found the racist's second message particularly amusing, didn't you?

Those short dick midget kamikazee squinty eyed bastards have good senses of humor for the most part. **** 'em.

dangerdog

Reaction score
He was ignorant of the quality of Tokai guitars- not of Japanese people.

He didn't call an epiphone a "Ch*nk" copy or say that a MIM strat was made by some "Sp*c".

He said the guitar was a Jap copy. Unfortunately for many of the liberal manpurse-wielding anti-gettingtheirfeelingshurt public, shortening "Japanese" to "Jap" in the interest of saving yourself the 2 seconds it takes to type the last 5 letters is a crime, now.

So it is OK to use a derogatory term for Japanese when disparaging their guitars but not OK to use "spic" or "chink" when doing the same with Mexican and Chinese ones?:laugh2:

Is it OK because YOU don't find it derogatory? Because I am sure almost all Japanese Americans would find it to be derogatory...even more so in the context of which he used it.

Explain that please.

BTW...where do you think his opinion on Japanese guitars comes from?

Probably doesn't come from actually owning one. Most likely it springs from his xenophobia and ignorance..

His negative attitude towards Japanese guitars is based SOLELY on his perception of Japanese people!!

He insulted a product he knows nothing about based solely on it's country of origin and was really rude in the process.

This is how I KNEW he was an ignorant racist.

dudu

Reaction score
I don't see how your private conversation with this guy belongs here. He
may be racist and ignorant, but you, sir, look like an attention whore to me.

Besides, not all Japanese people are guilt free when it comes to racism. Ever
been there?

dangerdog

Reaction score
I don't see how your private conversation with this guy belongs here. He
may be racist and ignorant, but you, sir, look like an attention whore to me.

Besides, not all Japanese people are guilt free when it comes to racism. Ever
been there?

****ing "EBAY" section makes me an "attention whore"?

More likely you jumping in to call me that makes you an outright and obvious troll.

I deal with Japanese racism to gaijin EVERY SINGLE DAY......doesn't make doing it back right....troll.

BTW If I was truly going for attention I would have found an excuse to post this somewhere else...not in the "ebay" section...also known as Tumbleweed Central.

circusboy28

Reaction score
Ooops, "sand in the vagina time" for sure. Perhaps you need to turn down the sensitivity and attention whoring and grow a backbone - you've tried this sort of nonsense before and it was equally idiotic then. You throw your hangups at people and then cry to Mummy when it pisses people off.

They are OFTEN described as "Jap" made guitars. It's common. It's hardly a racist slur. Over here people can describe Fenders or Gibsons as 'Yank' guitars without any US citizens getting all weepy about it. MIJ or Jap made are basically interchangeable terms for describing guitars. If that hurts your feelings so much perhaps it's your problem rather than other people's.

People of Japanese origin are quite common over here, I've never heard or seen any reaction to the term "Jap made - guitar" from anyone...except you. My guitar playing nurse buddy plays a Jap Strat - as HE calls it - and guess where he was born? Nagasaki.

He was questioning your pricing. Of a guitar that regardless of quality, IS a copy, as he said. He didn't swear at you or behave abusively, until you swore at him and were abusive to him. He then reacted to YOUR abuse.

Really mate, get a life and stop looking for racism in everything, you're as bad as a feminist who baits men everywhere because of her own prejudices. It's sad that you have to seek attention in this sort of way, baiting other people because of your own lack of self esteem or self acceptance.

J.T.

Reaction score
I wonder if the guy who questions the value of MIJ copies also drives a Honda or Toyota or Nissan because American cars suck. That would be great irony, lol...

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Questioning dangerdog's pricing of a guitar is ridiculous. If he thought it was too high, then move along, big deal. The fact that he wrote what he did was to ruffle feathers. In doing so he brought attention to his ignorance of the subject at hand. Most likely it goes a lot further than that. People like hutchebut really aren't worth the effort. With only two people checking out this section it hardly makes dangerdog an attention whore.

Can't we all just get along? Answer: no, unfortunately.

The Refugee

Reaction score
I never heard of the term "Jap" being racist until this. Lazy wording for "Japanese"? Sure. Racist? That surprised me.

I think after you asked him if he was a racist, he went off on purpose. Whether he feels that way I don't know, but I think he was just trying to yank on your chain and get you riled up.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Am I the only ****ing person in this thread who read the guy's second message?

"Nah, totally innocent. He was just shortening the word 'Japanese,' thats all!"

I guess if you are a little short dick midget Kamikaze then yes, I am, and why the **** do you think those fake Gibsons are better?? Open your eyes Oh... they are open sorry!!!

Agreed. NOT racist.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I never heard of the term "Jap" being racist until this. Lazy wording for "Japanese"? Sure. Racist? That surprised me.

Back before and during WWII, "Jap" was the label attached to the stereotype of a short, buck-toothed Japanese wearing coke-bottle glasses and only good at copying, not innovating. If the term were directed at a person and not a guitar I could see the cause for offense.

Am I the only ****ing person in this thread who read the guy's second message?

"Nah, totally innocent. He was just shortening the word 'Japanese,' thats all!"

I guess if you are a little short dick midget Kamikaze then yes, I am, and why the **** do you think those fake Gibsons are better?? Open your eyes Oh... they are open sorry!!!

Agreed. NOT racist.

I agree that his reply was blatantly bigoted. It also informs the first reply, and leads me to believe that "Jap" might have a comfort-zone in his vocabulary. It also might mean that he didn't like being called a racist and decided that if he were in for a penny, he was in for a dollar. Immature and stupid, to be sure.

The thing is, some people use slurs without racial intent, but simply because they don't know any better. Does that make them racist?

I had a friend come over once for a barbecue and he was talking about how he'd "nigger-rigged" his studio. Rather than call him racist, I simply explained to him that I have people in my family who've been called that out of malice and I asked him that while he was at my house he refrain from that sort of language. He had not thought of it that way, he said; he apologized, and was fine with meeting my request.

Had I just gone off on him about being a racist I'm sure that the scene would've expanded.

It's not that he was a bad guy, he was simply thoughtless, and had never examined how what, to him, was a colloquialism could have an emotional impact on others.

I suspect that what might have happened here is that someone who was simply ignorant got pissed off for being called racist and figured he'd go in whole-hog. Not that that excuses it, but perhaps it explains it?

Latest Threads