Friedman pickups

morbidalex666

Reaction score
Has anyone had first hand experience with the Friedman humbuckers?
The classic plus maybe?

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’m curious myself.. it’s the same pickups that come in their guitars... wouldn’t mind trying some buckers

jbash

Reaction score
Wound by Grover Jackson.

But IDK what they sound like. I've been curious too.

morbidalex666

Reaction score
I believe they are wound to Dave Friedman's specs and ears.
Yeah they are supossed to be wound in-house, since apparently Grover Jackson has great experience in pickup winding, starting fron the Charvel - Jackson days.

I started this thread because all I could find was raving reviews by owners of Friedman top-dollar guitars.

I was really hoping someone had first hand experience with retrofitted Friedman pickups, so that a comparison of some sort could be made. I am looking for pickups to go in my partscaster, which has currently a JB in the bridge posiiton.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Looks like they sell them @ Sweetwater... kind of pricey at $130 for a humbucker with a nickel cover, compare to the usual DiMarzio/Duncan offerings. Duncan Antiquities with cover are $145, but they are unpotted where the Friedman's are potted. What's my point? Not sure I just woke up. :rofl:

caseychan

Reaction score
I had a Friedman classic plus that I swapped around a few guitars. American pro Strat, charvel model 2, Gibson explorer, and a PRS custom 24. I experimented a lot with mag swaps, pots, wiring, height, and a cover. It’s a LOW output pickup compared to a jb. It’s more like the Duncan ‘78 custom. (But not as good in my opinion.)

I wanted to like it so badly-but what I figured out was that I didn’t really like the tone of the people playing them—Even though the internet told me I did. Go figure. All jokes aside, you may love them. What is it you don’t like about the JB in there?

morbidalex666

Reaction score
I had a Friedman classic plus that I swapped around a few guitars. American pro Strat, charvel model 2, Gibson explorer, and a PRS custom 24. I experimented a lot with mag swaps, pots, wiring, height, and a cover. It’s a LOW output pickup compared to a jb. It’s more like the Duncan ‘78 custom. (But not as good in my opinion.)

I wanted to like it so badly-but what I figured out was that I didn’t really like the tone of the people playing them—Even though the internet told me I did. Go figure. All jokes aside, you may love them. What is it you don’t like about the JB in there?
Thank you so much for the reply.

Nothing wrong with the JB. It does what it does fine. Just want to change the tonality and lower the output of that guitar for better cleanup. Plus, if I need high output, I tend to turn to ceramic optioins.

I've tried to put vintage style PAF repros in a superstrat and didn't like it. Output too low and not enough aggressiveness. The Friedman classic humbuckers are supossed to have a modern edge.

What's your take on that? Did you expect something softer from this kind of pickup perhaps?
How did you find it in a boosted Marshall situation or similar?
Why did you like the 78 better?

caseychan

Reaction score
The words “modern” and “edge” shouldn’t be anywhere near the Friedman classic plus.
I expected much more output and sizzle.
The problem you had with pafs in a strat will be worse with the Friedman. (I assume you used a 500k volume pot for that?)

I ended up with A Suhr ssh+ And two Suhr Aldrich sets for those guitars. More even EQ than a JB, but with all the power.

morbidalex666

Reaction score
The words “modern” and “edge” shouldn’t be anywhere near the Friedman classic plus.
I expected much more output and sizzle.
The problem you had with pafs in a strat will be worse with the Friedman.
Well that's disappointing...
I don't expect huge output out of it - just not PAF low output.
And I would certainly expect more attack. Oh well..

BTW the Suhr Alrich set is a killer set - absolutely perfect for its intended purpose.
I have a set and it won't go anywhere.
I am not looking for that thing at the moment though.

Many thanks and cheers!

caseychan

Reaction score
No problem! Good luck to you on your quest! I don’t want anyone to be discouraged to try Friedman pickups. They may be perfect for you.

Latest Threads