Fried Celestion creamback - repair or let go?

zoork_1

Reaction score
I recently bought two 1x12 cabs with 70's Celestion Creamback's (G 12 H, 30 W, 8 ohm, cone RIC 1 HO).

Sadly enough, one was fried... :(

Is it worth a re-cone or should I just forget all about it...?

geddy

Reaction score
Recone. I've sent speakers back to celestion before now.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, how could you tell that one was "fried"? I mean, was it actually visibly damaged?

irocdave12

Reaction score
Send it to me for proper disposal or probably definitely have it re celestioned. Worth extra to send it home for repair than anywhere else

zoork_1

Reaction score
I'm curious, how could you tell that one was "fried"? I mean, was it actually visibly damaged?

No visible damage. It sounded a bit scratchy, and when I pushed the cone I could hear and feel it... :(

zoork_1

Reaction score
I'll take a look att Celestions web and try to figure out how to make it happen...

mdubya

Reaction score
Please elaborate on what you mean by fried?

Torn speaker cone is all but inaudible. If it is torn, a small bead of silicone will repair it and you will never hear a difference.

If it is the voice coil, that is a different matter. I am sure it can be repaired, but I have no experience in that area.

If it were a vintage speaker, I would rather own a repaired original cone, to a re-coned speaker. jmho.

zoork_1

Reaction score
Please elaborate on what you mean by fried?

Torn speaker cone is all but inaudible. If it is torn, a small bead of silicone will repair it and you will never hear a difference.

If it is the voice coil, that is a different matter. I am sure it can be repaired, but I have no experience in that area.

If it were a vintage speaker, I would rather own a repaired original cone, to a re-coned speaker. jmho.

No problem with the cone, it's the voice coil. I want to keep it as original possible, but I'm a bit worried that a repair will cost more than a second hand replacement... :hmm: I'll let you all know

mdubya

Reaction score
Re-coning won't do anything if it if the voice coil.

mdubya

Reaction score
I don't know much about speakers, just assumed a re-coning included replacing the voice coil... :eek:

I bet there is someone in Sweden that can do a great job fixing that speaker. I think it is worth the trouble. There are at least a couple of big time vintage Marshall and Celestion collectors in Sweden. See: Johan Segeborn.

zoork_1

Reaction score
I bet there is someone in Sweden that can do a great job fixing that speaker. I think it is worth the trouble. There are at least a couple of big time vintage Marshall and Celestion collectors in Sweden. See: Johan Segeborn.

Thanks I'll check it up

Latest Threads