Fretwire for 'fretless wonder?'

Vinyl

Reaction score
Trying to locate some correct size fretwire for a partial refret.

New, NOS or reusable salvaged old wire. Anybody got any?

If you've matched original wire with current production wire on a partial refret, please let me know what size/type you used.

Thanks.

Atomic

Reaction score
Dunlop 6130 is referred to as "medium jumbo" but i find that they are actually pretty flat and wide- measuring .106" X .036." they could work for your fretless wonder as they are close in size to the frets from the 70's. for comparison, most of the frets you see Gibson using now are closer to a 6105 which measures .096" X .047." though i dont think they are 6105s as the modern gibson frets are pretty square.

i just had a guitar refretted with 6105 wire. its tall but not overly so. if i were to go for a fretless type of feel i would definitely lean toward medium jumbo.

Vinyl

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the existing 'fretless' wire is .07 wide, and I want the replacement wire to be visually unnoticeable, so that's the problem. There may be some wire near that, but I don't know anyone who's used it or how it looks after installation.

The original wire was either machined or dressed to be quite low, so if the stock isn't tall enough to start with, it'll still look rounded after it's dressed.

Since the overwhelming majority of work on those guitars is full refrets with larger stock, it's hard to find anyone who's done partials for that kind of information.

If I were going to do the entire board, I like your suggestion. I'll keep it in mind.

Latest Threads