Fretting out on my B string, I think

IRG

Reaction score
So I have an '85 Les Paul Studio Custom, cool guitar, although I think a couple of changes are coming in the future, another post, another day.

But I have one issue with it right now. It's on the B string, around the 17th and 18th frets, when I'm playing and use vibrato, the sustain immediately stops. A dead note. Now, what is kind of funny is it depends, in part, in how I use my vibrato. If I'm using my pinky, I get some sustain, not perfect, but the notes don't just cut out. If I use my index finger it almost dies out immediately.

So I picked up my Epiphone LP Tribute, and I can use my vibrato style on the same frets with no problem at all, and same with other guitars, so I have to believe the issue is the neck/fret/bridge on my Studio Custom.

Could it be as simple as a neck adjustment? I don't have any issues with it otherwise. Maybe it's a fret that isn't quite level? I don't see any issues, but someone a bit savvier than me might be able to see this in person. I don't have pics at the moment, not sure they would help anyway.

The other mod I'm thinking about is a different bridge. I believe this is a Nashville type bridge, which seems raised pretty high, although the action isn't high really at all. And the strings seem to sit on the bottom of the bridge before they hit the saddles, I don't think this is good. I could maybe top wrap on the tailpiece, I'm think this would help eliminate this issue, but could possibly cause other issues. I think a pic here would help, after work today I'll post some.

But I've been looking at Stew Mac bridges, and might just want to replace it altogether. Any thoughts at the moment? Cheers.

IRG

Reaction score
Try posting in the Luthier's Corner forum here on MLP. A lot of helpful guys over there would know what to do.

Luthier's Corner - MyLesPaul.com

Without having it in front of me, I would say you need a fret level.
A neck adjustment won't really help you all the way up there.

Thanks, I'll do that maybe after I have some pics to post. And I think you're right, probably a fret level in the one area (it's only 2-3 frets, and seems to be only on the B string) would help. THey're also fairly shallow frets, I kinda like them actually, I can move around the fretboard a little quicker, which isn't much to say, but every little bit helps!

EDIT, duh, I forgot I was in the pedals forum. Yes it needs to be moved.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
...And the strings seem to sit on the bottom of the bridge before they hit the saddles, I don't think this is good. I could maybe top wrap on the tailpiece,...

Could you elaborate on this?

Do you mean the strings run through the saddles and touch the back of the bridge on their way to the tailpiece?

Just making sure you don't mean they are touching the bridge in front of the saddles. :hmm: (towards headstock is front, towards tailpiece is back)

IRG

Reaction score
Could you elaborate on this?

Do you mean the strings run through the saddles and touch the back of the bridge on their way to the tailpiece? YES, THIS.

Just making sure you don't mean they are touching the bridge in front of the saddles. :hmm: (towards headstock is front, towards tailpiece is back)

Yep, towards the tailpiece. I don't have this issue at all with my Epi, but it isn't raised as high either. I could lower it, maybe, but then I think it might be too low, causing fret buzz.

Sooner or later, I might do a general overhaul to it. It is lacking it's original Tim Shaw pickups, I believe what's in there now are a pair of DiMarzios from the '80's, but it is unknown which model they are. They sound pretty good, but I think I can do better.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Yep, towards the tailpiece. I don't have this issue at all with my Epi, but it isn't raised as high either. I could lower it, maybe, but then I think it might be too low, causing fret buzz....

You don't want to lower the bridge to fix that. You just need to raise the tailpiece until the strings aren't touching the back of the bridge.

IRG

Reaction score
You don't want to lower the bridge to fix that. You just need to raise the tailpiece until the strings aren't touching the back of the bridge.

I'll definitely give that a try, simple adjustment to start with at least.

IRG

Reaction score
I've raised the tailpiece just a little so far, and the sustain is definitely better now, and I've only played it unplugged. Strings still resting on the bridge I think though, so maybe I'll raise it a bit higher. But it's an improvement so far, thanks!

GitFiddle

Reaction score
When you turn the studs on the tailpiece, try to use a tool to fit the slot tightly, else it will booger up your slot. I've found a handy tool is the little wrench that comes with a Dremel tool. It fits in that slot perfectly. Just lift each side of the tailpiece enough to get the strings off the bridge. The best setting doesn't have to be level (side to side), with the face of the guitar.

drew365

Reaction score
I have two guitars that have a similar problem. One or two notes that won't sustain if I do bends on them. I'm thinking of getting one pleked to see if it helps. Both have stainless steel frets. I need to call and make sure the plek machines work with ss.

Latest Threads