Frets won't seat

Al Walker

Reaction score
My fret job failed. Most of the frets wouldn't seat flat against the fret board. I radiused the board (12 inch radius) and bought the properly radiused frets. I recut the fret slots deep enough and still they would't sit properly.Why? I was going to settle with it, but, because the frets are off the board, I can't file the fret ends enough for them to not be sharp. Help! Also some are loose. even with superglue the won't stay. I am a rookie at this.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you bevel the fret slots? The shoulder of the fret tang is generally a soft angle, and the slot must be beveled to account for it

Last edited:

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that why I use a triangle file in the fret slot? ;-) I remember Tom B. or FreddyG telling me to use the file to break the edges of the slot but never realized that was one of the reasons to do it. Thanks.

Cheers Peter.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that why I use a triangle file in the fret slot? ;-) I remember Tom B. or FreddyG telling me to use the file to break the edges of the slot but never realized that was one of the reasons to do it. Thanks.

Cheers Peter.
That’s it

Macronaut

Reaction score
Does Gibson not bevel the slots when installing the original frets at the factory?

Al Walker

Reaction score
Did you bevel the fret slots? The shoulder of the fret tang is generally a soft angle, and the slit must be beveled to account for it
No I didn't. Never knew that. Thanks. I'm going to pull the frets and try again. The guitar came with super jumbos, so I have a lot of fret yet. I'll give that a try. If they are still loose,I may get the fret crimper. Thanks, everyone.

Al Walker

Reaction score
Woo! Just looked at the crimper. A bit out of my financial range.

ARandall

Reaction score
The only time I've had issues with frets not seating is when the saw I'm using is not suited to the tang of the wire. I have mostly used stewmac parts, and they all seem to work well together....apart from the most recent builds where I used ebay fretwire.....and had awful trouble with seating.

The tip about bevelling the slot edge is a great one though!!

BPW666

Reaction score
Both at the same time. Use a small jewellers triangle or rat tail file, a couple of passes are all that's needed.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Just curious if you are using SS frets? If so do you have a drill press? I use my drill press with a caul to seat them. StewMac sells them as well as Philiadelphia Luthiers. I think I got mine from Greece before PHL started stocking them.

Macronaut

Reaction score
Just curious if you are using SS frets? If so do you have a drill press? I use my drill press with a caul to seat them. StewMac sells them as well as Philiadelphia Luthiers. I think I got mine from Greece before PHL started stocking them.
I haven't done a fret job yet but, a press, using a caul with the appropriate radius just seems to make the most sense to me.

Latest Threads