Frets on the back ala Duane Allman.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have the frets from my very first guitar handy and want to put them into the back of my Lester as both a tip of the hat to Duane and to have a piece of my first guitar as a reminder of where it all started or something.

Anyone have any idea how to actually get them in there?

Reaction score
Hahahaha!!

Roxy, Any suggestions beyond a fret saw? Gotta get these pretty specific lengths. Maybe a razor blade and elbow grease?

Roxy13

Reaction score
It would take a long time to get the slots wide enough with a razor blade to get the tang seated.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
allmandone15.jpg

I'm not sure how you'd do that with a fret saw.

First flatten your frets. Open the jaws of a vice just wide enough for the tang & barbs, drop the ends of the tang in the slot and tap the fret flat. You want to know the working length of each before you lay them out and start cutting, not guess how much longer radiused frets will get when you hammer them into a flat surface. (And mahogany is a lot softer than rosewood -- if you try to hammer in radiused frets the ends are likely to dig in.)

Once they're flat start laying them out to spell your name. Will likely take a lot of experimentation to figure out where the short ones will go and where the long ones will go.

Then mark out the lines on the body. I'd use a chisel to cut them. Run down one edge of a line, walking the chisel along, flat facing out, angle facing in toward the slot. Then run down the other side of the line. Then pop out the wood between the 2 cuts.
----------------------
Be very very sure you're going to keep that Les Paul forever. You aren't Duane so putting your name in frets on the back of the guitar will seriously devalue it.

And if someday you have to sell it, not only will you take a financial hit but your sentimental frets will be gone forever.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Oh, since mahogany is softer than rosewood, you probably want the slots narrower than fretboard slots. You might want to experiment with a couple of frets on scrap mahogany.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I don't know why but I thought you wanted them on the back of the neck :rofl:

A Dremel would be easist probably to slot the back then. And you will have to chisel the edges then to get them squared up.

Gfunk_Minor

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will not add a sarcastic comment about 2 sided tape.....

mtgguitar

Reaction score
Take it to a guitar tech, watch his face when you tell him what you want. Or, bend the frets and make jewelry out of them.

Injector

Reaction score
Why not have them ground down to metal filings and then keep them in an ashes urn?
:D

uncle mud

Reaction score
Only if you plan on keeping it forever. It will half the value of your guitar IMO

moreles

Reaction score
IMO, it wasn't really a good idea when Twiggs did it for Duane, and it's not a good idea now. I'd try to let the urge pass by finding some other project.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would route the lines in. Use a straight edge carpet taped down as the router fence. I would also undercut the tangs on each end just like a "over the binding" fret job. That way you won't overshoot the length of the route....it will look cleaner.

Latest Threads