Fretboards - what do you suppose I have here?

greens

Reaction score
I bought these two fretboards a few years ago on ebay. Supposedly they originated with the estate of an elderly luthier and were marked "Brazilian." That's all the info I have. They are planed, slotted and dotted at Fender scale. The lighter colored one is very dry and light to the touch. The darker one feels heavier. What do they look like to you? Thoughts appreciated.

1st one:

1.jpg

1a.jpg

1bb.jpg

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK, but Braz seems darker than what you have ... BUT I'm no expert.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
First one has the swirl of paduak.

But the color is more yellow than the typical paduak, which is pumpkin orange when cut.

Second one is likely Pau Ferro, otherwise known as Bolivian rosewood.

larryguitar

Reaction score
First one has the swirl of paduak.

But the color is more yellow than the typical paduak, which is pumpkin orange when cut.

Second one is likely Pau Ferro, otherwise known as Bolivian rosewood.
Any Padauk I've had out unfinished goes darker, rather than lighter, also. Heads off toward brown rather than yellow.

Larry

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Any Padauk I've had out unfinished goes darker, rather than lighter, also. Heads off toward brown rather than yellow.

Larry
I've got a paduak finger board on my first ever build, right here next to me.

It's 12-13 years old.

Decidedly chocolate. Used to be orange.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I want to say "bubinga", but the yellow color is keeping me from saying that.

I'd blurt out "mesquite" but I know better.

The second one, due to the lack of grain pits, I'd totally bet on Bolivian.

greens

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses, much appreciated - my takeaway so far is that it is pretty likely neither is Dalbergia Nigra but there is not much of a consensus otherwise.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
Second one looks a bit like Madagascan to me, none are bubinga or Brazilian imo

I do have some other Madagascan that looks a bit like the first one but goes to a chocolate colour later

archey

Reaction score
Doesn't look like brw. What does it smell like when you sand it? It's not the most scientific way to tell, but it works pretty well if you know what brw smells like.

Sunburstman

Reaction score
It looks to me like amazon rosewood for the first which is very close to Brazilian and the second to me looks like Brazilian Rosewood!

SlingBlader

Reaction score
I'm not sure what those are, but here is a picture of Madagascar rosewood for reference. To me it does not bear a striking resemblance to the boards in question. Of course the picture shows QS and the OP has FS boards.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i can't believe we had two hits on ipe for the first one. i wanted to say that, as i have a piece i resawed into blanks and it looks eerily familiar, but refrained to say so because i figured the odds were pretty low that a luthier would use it with all the other traditional woods available. personally, i think it would make a fantastic board, as they are hard and have quite a ring to them

Zeegler

Reaction score
i can't believe we had two hits on ipe for the first one. i wanted to say that, as i have a piece i resawed into blanks and it looks eerily familiar, but refrained to say so because i figured the odds were pretty low that a luthier would use it with all the other traditional woods available. personally, i think it would make a fantastic board, as they are hard and have quite a ring to them
I have a few boards of Ipe that actually have a nice figure to them.

The third from the left in this pic is Ipe with a coat of Danish oil. The sixth from the left is also Ipe but without the Danish oil.

Latest Threads