Fretboard crack

Lumi71

Reaction score
Hi guys,
just sold a wonderful Greco LP.
Had, what I thought, a cosmetical issue, with a laquer crack at the neck/body binding joint.
Buyer informed me now that it is a little wood crack.
I have a good conversation with him an we are both willing to solve it.
Really did think it would only the laquer..
There were also no issues with playin it.
Need some advice how to repair it and what would be an estimate price for a repair..
Want a fair solution for the buyer and me...
CIMG9151.JPG

Attachments

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's not a crack. It's the finish that's cracked because the fretboard to body glue joint has shifted and delaminated. This happens from humidity extremes....the fretboard rosewood has a higher shrinkage ratio than the maple top and bam....something's got to give. In this case, the finish cracked when the joint shifted. I see you can slip a piece of paper under the fretboard....simple glue job and then a finish touch up. Couple of hundred bucks.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I agree looks like some deep lacquer cracking. If it really bugs you, it would be pretty easy for a quality shop to “melt” that back in probably.

Personally I hope you got a good deal as the guitar looks a bit dried out and not particularly well maintained.

Lumi71

Reaction score
I sold the guitar.. Just saw the laquer crack, but I was not aware of the fb lifting...there were no noticable problems...
So an easy glue job?
What would be a rate for a glue job here without the finish touch up? (buyer saw the laquer crakc before buying it)

moreles

Reaction score
Seems like posters did not look at the pic where the paper slides into the crack/space. That's not just a finish crack. The fretboard is separating from the body at that point as well. IMO, this is problematic, not because it's necessarily indicative of a bigger problem (failued glue joints) but because it just possibly could be. If it were my guitar, I would likely roll the dice, run som,e thin CA into the space, possibly melt the nitro back together, and call it a dy and hope there's no future movement. On thew other hand, if I were a buyer, I'd expect a low price for a potentially iffy instrument. I'd be surprised if there's any real problem, but the separation is not something you want to see as a buyer. Looks like a slipshod orignal glue-up -- the stuff Greco and Burny owners claim is a Gibson thing.

Latest Threads