Fretboard conditioning before and after on dry, light fretboard

Lzwb

Reaction score
Just got a 2018 Les Paul Tribute in Satin Honeyburst.

It gets delivered, I opened up the case and the fretboard was extremely light, and I was really disappointed because I like very dark/black fretboards on Les Pauls. The pictures on Reverb showed the fretboard to be very dark, but I guess it was because of the lighting.

I decided to see how the fretboard looked after some fret doctor, but I didn't expect it to darken much because of how light this board was.

I put on 1 coat, wiped it off, and it darkened a decent amount. I put on another coat, a lot heavier then the previous one, and let it soak for about an hour before I wiped it off. I still can't get over the different, it looks like a totally different piece of wood.

no treatment
Fretbaord%201_zps0y2fahxp.png

1st coat, the board is still wet in this picture
fretboard%203_zps6gcyxxj1.png

2nd coat, after soaking for about an hour and wiping it off
Fretboard%202_zpsfj9ld77t.png

v3KhRd9

Fretbaord%201_zps0y2fahxp.png

Last edited:

scozz

Reaction score
That’s a beautiful fretboard, light or dark @Billy4269. Some really nice grain there.

Fret Doctor is amazing stuff, that’s all I use now. I don’t care that it’s expensive, we all spend lots of hard earned money on our guitars, I think a few bucks extra for some good stuff to keep them looking great is warranted.

Now how about some more pics of that guitar?

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
It looks good, it does but never let it “soak” longer than a few short (maybe 2 or 3) minutes. Wood absorbs and when it does it swells whether it be oil or water. That can cause grain to rise just enough to cause damage maybe string buzzing or become porous.

You really don’t need much. Better to wipe on and wipe off 2 or 3 times than one good soak.

You can end up with this (pictured) after too much and it would need to be sanded. I know because 30 yrs ago I did this same thing to an SG. Just passing it on ....

Worst product I ever used was that Dunlop conditioner stuff, it did this type of damage and wasn’t even on long. I’ve seen people blame the guitar manufacture for “cheap wood and poor quality work”. which it isn’t.

F09F7EA7-2634-48ED-923C-B3814A5D386F.jpeg

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I've been saying this for years. Nobody listens. :laugh2:

It looks good, it does but never let it “soak” longer than a few short (maybe 2 or 3) minutes.
Once like this to darken the board doesn't hurt, I've been doing it for over 10 years, and even Fret Doctor's paperwork says up to an hour to darken a board.

yamariv

Reaction score
Wow, that's a huge transformation..What the heck is in fretdoctor??

Lzwb

Reaction score
That’s a beautiful fretboard, light or dark @Billy4269. Some really nice grain there.

Fret Doctor is amazing stuff, that’s all I use now. I don’t care that it’s expensive, we all spend lots of hard earned money on our guitars, I think a few bucks extra for some good stuff to keep them looking great is warranted.

Now how about some more pics of that guitar?

I'll post some pics of it next week once I get the new pickups and everything I ordered wired into it. I tore the electronics apart without realizing I don't have the right electronics to rewire it.

Ordered an RS guitar works vintage wiring kit + Manlius Landmark PAF bridge and 5% Underwound Landmark PAF neck with the magnet swapped for the PG mod.

Also have a left handed red Jimmy Page #3 style les paul I'm getting next week from Precision Guitar Kits that I ordered a few months ago. Putting an RS guitar works kit + Manlius T-top/underwound landmark neck combo going in that one.

Lzwb

Reaction score
A light-colored fretboard does not mean it's "dry." Once all that oil wears off onto your hands it will be the same color you started with.

I know that a light board doesn't automatically mean it's dry - but believe me, this board was dry. It looks a lot better in the picture then it did in person. It had that dull, almost white-ish glaze over it.

Also, I've used this stuff on a few fretboards before, none of them as light as this one, but not one of them has ever returned to the pre-fret doctor color. About a year ago I used it on two necks I ordered from Musikraft that I specifically ordered "dark" indian rosewood, but they weren't as dark as I expected. One coat of this stuff and its been practically black ever since.

scozz

Reaction score
You really don’t need much. Better to wipe on and wipe off 2 or 3 times than one good soak.

This is very good advice....plus if used too much or too many times, the wood can become a bit soft and cause fret sprout.

Once a year.....twice at the most imo.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
In an older thread, it was reported that Fret Doctor is just Bore Oil, relabeled and sold for more money. I'm not 100% sure this is true, has anyone heard this before?.
Al

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
I've been saying this for years. Nobody listens. :laugh2:

Once like this to darken the board doesn't hurt, I've been doing it for over 10 years, and even Fret Doctor's paperwork says up to an hour to darken a board.

I've been doing it for over 30+ .... it just isn't something I would do because it isn't necessary. It softens the wood and can lift/loosen frets.

Just my opinion, thanks for sharing yours.

Latest Threads