LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Plain old naptha.

Coleman camp stove fuel, lighter fluid, etc.

It will not harm lacquer finishes.

It's a fuel, not a solvent.

It will clean off any old goo funk or crud instantly.

Now that you FB has been cleaned properly, you can add any new wax or polish you want.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plain old naptha.

Coleman camp stove fuel, lighter fluid, etc.

It will not harm lacquer finishes.

It's a fuel, not a solvent.

It will clean off any old goo funk or crud instantly.

Now that you FB has been cleaned properly, you can add any new wax or polish you want.

Had a guitar on the bench a week or two back.... one of those "I loaned it to a friend and this is how it came back" deals.... Guy had put damn stickers and shit all over it...and was filthy... Owner got it back and pulled all the stickers off and it had evidently sat.... Sticker residue can be a bitch as it keeps collecting dirt and grime.... Grabbed the blue can and some Brawny, in no time, back to original finish. A bit of polishing and looked great.... Cleaned all the crap off of it quick, fast, and in a hurry.... Naptha is da cheeze for getting da crap off....

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Had a guitar on the bench a week or two back.... one of those "I loaned it to a friend and this is how it came back" deals.... Guy had put damn stickers and shit all over it...and was filthy... Owner got it back and pulled all the stickers off and it had evidently sat.... Sticker residue can be a bitch as it keeps collecting dirt and grime.... Grabbed the blue can and some Brawny, in no time, back to original finish. A bit of polishing and looked great.... Cleaned all the crap off of it quick, fast, and in a hurry.... Naptha is da cheeze for getting da crap off....
The man who effectively taught me the trade once told me, "keep a gallon of it under your bench, it's the luthier's best friend". You can dunk a 60 year old nitro finish in a barrel of it, and it won't harm the nitro.

It will pull the old oils up from the pores of wood.

It will degrease and prep wood for finish.

You can wet-sand with it, and it won't swell the wood if it gets in the holes.

It will completely remove any sticker adhesive residue.

It will remove pencil marks from wood that you've made, without sanding.

It will remove old wax and polish from finished guitars, so you can apply clean, new stuff instead of pushing around the old funky stuff.

Pretty handy stuff. I get mine from Wally World (when my wife drags me kicking and screaming into that damn place) for 12 bucks a gallon. Generic camp fuel in the sporting goods section.

And before anybody tries to crap on that can of fuel, it's served me in every capacity for it over the last ten years, with no harm to any object I've used if for.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing how well it will cut through what looks like cold ass KFC chicken leg grease on a finish....

I've had a few guitars come into the shop over the years that I really wanted to hang em in the alley and put a flame thrower to em just to sanitize and burn off the top layer of refuse....

That's why we can't have nice things... Chicken leg grease....

Last edited:

GitFiddle

Reaction score
For excessive grime and grunge, scrape with a razor blade.
Clean with Naptha.
Finish with a light coat of Olde English Lemon Oil. Wipe on. Wipe off.

That has been my formula for years
That was until I tried Gorgomyte.

I haven't scraped or cleaned my rosewood fretboards with anything else since. Amazing! Gives your frets an amazing shine too.
(I still keep a blue can of Naptha on my garage work bench at all times.) You can get quart or gallon cans at Lowes.

judson

Reaction score
naptha to clean off the finger jelly

then Fret Doctor to condition

i tried mineral oil before but it seemed to collect dirt and actually smelled like ass after a few weeks

thats when i spent the money with Fret Doctor.....some think its pricey but a bottle goes a long way

:yesway:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For excessive grime and grunge, scrape with a razor blade.
Clean with Naptha.
Finish with a light coat of Olde English Lemon Oil. Wipe on. Wipe off.

That has been my formula for years
That was until I tried Gorgomyte.

I haven't scraped or cleaned my rosewood fretboards with anything else since. Amazing! Gives your frets an amazing shine too.
(I still keep a blue can of Naptha on my garage work bench at all times.) You can get quart or gallon cans at Lowes.
I will lay a secret on you guys. Jimmy Johnson was a good friend of mine. He was Alex Lifeson's guitar tech for years. One day I was polishing and cleaning a fretboard and JJ saw what I was using and thought it was fantastic. It was a "Miracle Cloth"....you can still buy them, cheap...just search google. JJ repackaged it and sold it as Gorgomyte.
Gorgomyte IS Miracle Cloth!
JJ is dead now.....only reason I'm telling.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will lay a secret on you guys. Jimmy Johnson was a good friend of mine. He was Alex Lifeson's guitar tech for years. One day I was polishing and cleaning a fretboard and JJ saw what I was using and thought it was fantastic. It was a "Miracle Cloth"....you can still buy them, cheap...just search google. JJ repackaged it and sold it as Gorgomyte.
Gorgomyte IS Miracle Cloth!
JJ is dead now.....only reason I'm telling.
This, Freddy?

1615600477895.jpeg

hahnsottis

Reaction score
For conditioning the board, I heard somewhere that the dunlop ultimate lemon oil is just mineral oil (baby oil) with a lemon scent added. Not sure how true this is. I love the bottle with the applicator for the dunlop, but once it is used up, I may try to refill it with baby oil. Anyone know the validity of this?

cmjohnson

Reaction score
For a really grungy board, use a toothbrush to loosen the foothills of dirt leading up to the frets.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every string change, I rub the board with my mineral oil rag that you have to work at it to make a wet spot even kinda appear... Help soften kank, easier to clean. I recharge with just a few DROPS every few MONTHS... Then I hit the board with the plastic bristle brush to de-kank the board, especially up against frets.

Logic: A fret is an anchor point on one end of a resonant string system. It is a juncture of metal firmly implanted in wood.

Rhetorical question time:
As a slider munky, I sometimes will put small pieces of gaffer tape in specific places underside a heavy ride cymbal. Why?
I will sometimes do same on bottom head of a floor Tom. Why?
I will sometimes roll a trunk cloth or small bar rag, stick my hand inside kick Rez head port, lay it against bottom of Rez head, and turn tuners on front down about ten minutes each. Why?

Now, why would I want to do relatively the same to a frets? Or would I?

Keep your boards clean, especially up against the frets. It will also extend string life. All that kank piling up will get on strings while you play, penetrating between winding, and generally kank up the strings, killing the life out of em. Then there is the kank affecting ability of frets to easily vibrate along with string.

Kank: Dead skin, sweat, chicken leg grease, nose and ear wax, skin oil, dirt, bird droppings, bear scat, germs, bacteria, rat piss, fungus, all kinds of things that could crank up a most interesting Petri Dish Cultural Dance Party... Keep your shit clean...

Latest Threads