fret and binding isssue, could use some advice

Liquid State

Reaction score
hi,
am hoping to get some info on best next steps to take.

I received a LP JR Spec for xmas (Cherry, 2 P90's, bound neck). The wife knew I was looking for a single coil gtr (I was heading in the direction of a strat), so she surpised me with a Jr Spec with p90's. The thing sounds awesome, it just growls.
After the glow of the surprise wore off a bit I started to notice how easy the high E was rolling off the fret board. Did some reasearch, is a not so uncommon problem with the bound necks. I have it at my luthier and he is recutting the nut and ordering a new bridge (un-notched) so he can center the strings appropriately.

Here is where the question lies: I am also having the issue of the string getting hung up between the fret and the nibs as it roll off and then back on to the fret board. The seam between fret and the nib is not smooth. Is this a warranty issue I should be pursuing with Gibson????

My luthier is planning on taking the fret hieght down a little bit. We mic'd them and they are currently between a jumbo and mid, so there is plenty to take, with the hopes it will take some of the bevel off the ends to help keep the string from rolling off.

Am I voiding any potential warranty with the fret board quality by having him do a fret dress??

I know all the advise about not buying sight unseen for playability issues like this, but what can you do when when it's a gift.....

thanks for any help

SL

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue with my trad. I don't think the gap was there when I bought it, but over time I noticed it was possible to lose the top E string between fret and binding from about the 6th fret up to around 15. I considered starting a QC thread about it, but instead went back to the shop with it. I discussed the options with the manager (I like the guitar, didn't want to swap or refund, the gibson service centre is in Holland....) and their on site luthier/technician filled the gap with porcelain filler, then buffed it up. You now can't see a gap and the fret/binding edge feels smooth again.

I have some pictures and the repair invoice from the dealer to back this up btw... I'm only mentioning it at all because it looks like someone else had the same trouble.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue with my trad. I don't think the gap was there when I bought it, but over time I noticed it was possible to lose the top E string between fret and binding from about the 6th fret up to around 15. I considered starting a QC thread about it, but instead went back to the shop with it. I discussed the options with the manager (I like the guitar, didn't want to swap or refund, the gibson service centre is in Holland....) and their on site luthier/technician filled the gap with porcelain filler, then buffed it up. You now can't see a gap and the fret/binding edge feels smooth again.

I have some pictures and the repair invoice from the dealer to back this up btw... I'm only mentioning it at all because it looks like someone else had the same trouble.
Seems like good advice.

KenG

Reaction score
If you take it an authorized Gibson repair place, after notifying them of the issue, not only will the repairs be covered but the warranty unaffected. Other than doing that, yes, you're pooching your warranty.

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
Yeah, after fretting about it for a while it turned out to be no big deal. Took about an hour to sort, and they dealt with it straight away. I also have their assurance that should the binding continue to move away then a full warranty repair can be arranged.

Attachments

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set it up the way you like it, and enjoy.:cool:

Liquid State

Reaction score
thanks, gentlemen. I am going to give my gtr guy a call and have him stop on the plans until I get it checked out.

jppage25

Reaction score
My 1960's classic i got almost 2 weeks ago is doing the same thing on the high e getting stuck in that notch as i call it. I love the guitar so i'm going to take it in for warranty that i already set up in advance. Kind of a bitch as i live a long distance from there but it's worth it to me to keep the guitar as i'm already attached to it and no this will not be in the fake QC threads LOL. I'm not aware of this being a big problem as this is the only time i have ever had this issue then again the last new Les Paul i bought was a standard in 1997 so things might have changed. like i said not a big deal other than the drive down mountain.

mechtech

Reaction score
Don't take fret material off unless you need to!
I'd super glue fill the joints and smooth everything up. It will fix this perfectly.

I personally hate nibs - waste of fretboard and tough to work with.

geddy

Reaction score
My Supreme has similar issues. There was a thread about this about 6 weeks ago.
You should definitely get it addressed it Gibson. My guitar tech suggested a number of solutions but they all cost money you shouldn't have to spend and affect warranty.

paulgibson

Reaction score
I've never seen so many issues as I have with Gibson. You would think when buying a guitar like a Gibson that all these problems would be corrected before they go up for sale to the public. Fender doesn't seem to have so many of these problems because I feel they do a better job in their QC.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

politenessman

Reaction score
so you are saying that gibson might have some quality control issues? what an interesting theory. maybe you should start a thread about it.

Liquid State

Reaction score
yeah - as soon as I posted my question and then went back to read it I thought, "uh oh - I surely do not want this to spiral into the general QC theme"
I love the guitar and respect the brand. I just wanted some advice as my luthier was heading down the path of "doing this and doing that" and never once brought up the topic of warranty...

peace

dcmey

Reaction score
so you are saying that gibson might have some quality control issues? what an interesting theory. maybe you should start a thread about it.
Wood shrinks and expands with humidity, and can cause problems when it goes from one climate to another.

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
yeah - as soon as I posted my question and then went back to read it I thought, "uh oh - I surely do not want this to spiral into the general QC theme"
I love the guitar and respect the brand. I just wanted some advice as my luthier was heading down the path of "doing this and doing that" and never once brought up the topic of warranty...

peace
That's also why I didn't start a thread about it a fortnight ago when I noticed the gap, and why I've included proof!

Latest Threads