Freezing 12 inch amp speakers,problem or no problem?

Standard 64

Reaction score
So I am expected to get a box of 4-12 inch speakers from UPS monday and the thing is I am at the end of the route.I know that in the back of a ups truck their is no heat and the temperature tomorrow is going to be around 30 degrees.So what do you think?Any experiences?Do I let the box warm up for a day?Thanks.S64

hipofutura

Reaction score
They'll be OK. Let them come up to room temp. Would be a good thing to let them dry out as well. Extreme humidity can raise havoc with the cone, surround, and spider, and cause corrosion in the VC gap.

trevorus

Reaction score
As said, give it time to temp equalize. Might leave it in the box a while, maybe open it a bit to let some warm air exchange happen, but not too much.

BrianGT

Reaction score
They will be ok.....as stated just let them come up to room temperature naturally.

I once played a hot sweaty gig in winter and left my amp in the boot of the car overnight as we were playing the next day.
When I plugged in my amp sounded horrible! I realised the sweat had frozen on the speakers and it took a while to defrost them....they were ok afterwards though.

Latest Threads