Frank's Mini-59 Burst is in the April 2014 Guitar Player Mag

matte

Reaction score
can't wait for the jg/frank pine baby bluesmaster "59!!!!!​
Thanks, guys!

Yes, you are correct. The guitar shown above, I made for Matte to use over six years ago. It was a prototype that I built with Matte's guidance, and I never did sell any of those. I have since received two Cease & Desist orders from Gibson for my octave guitars, and my design is quite a bit different now. Here's an example of some of the details that have changed:

Frank

Fracture

Reaction score
I have since received two Cease & Desist orders from Gibson for my octave guitars, and my design is quite a bit different now. Here's an example of some of the details that have changed:

Frank
Hysterical that Gibson would perceive that a threat. I get that they'd want to
protect the long cherished LP design.
Can you scan and post up the letters Frank?

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hysterical that Gibson would perceive that a threat. I get that they'd want to
protect the long cherished LP design.
Can you scan and post up the letters Frank?
I hear you, Scott. And yes, they didn't perceive it so much as a threat, as they did a violation of their trademarks...which is ultimately what they're trying to protect. And no, I can't post up the letters. But here's one of the attachments...a scan of their trademark on the Les Paul shape:

Frank

Fracture

Reaction score
That's interesting Frank, thanks so much.
Makes perfect sense, but I still would like to hear the chatter when the
it was discovered that you 'miniaturized' their guitar.

jamman

Reaction score
Your a Class Act, all the way Frank . I'm sure you Octaves are great guitars , They look amazing. One day I hope to try 1 .

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't the guitar be named, Les Small? :rofl:
"Less Tall" made more sense to me, since the guitars were less tall than their full size counterparts. Less Small, on the other hand, would make me think that the guitars were not as small (less small) as normal sized guitars. But it doesn't much matter now, since Gibson made me get rid of the name anyway. They loved the name when I was just making unplayable miniatures, but once I started using the name on playable guitars, they (and/or attorneys) must have lost their sense of humor. Then again, attorneys are not that well known for having a sense of humor; funny, because they seem to be the subject of so many good jokes! :cool:

Frank

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's interesting Frank, thanks so much.
Makes perfect sense, but I still would like to hear the chatter when the
it was discovered that you 'miniaturized' their guitar.
As I mentioned in the above post, they actually loved my miniatures early on. In fact, I've got pics of Henry, Rick Gembar and Edwin Wilson with the guitars. They even offered to paint my early 1/2 size miniatures. But that all changed once I started making playable ones and they thought I was selling them. Here's pic of Edwin Wilson with one of my minis (with me looking on):

Frank

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It really flips me out that the gang at G got their panties all wadded up over this.

I understand. But, it still seems like they might have more important things to worry about.

Having seen one of these in person, I can tell you that not only is it cool beyond words, but Frank did a masterful job creating a truly magnificent li'l Paul (can I say that? will the lawyers come after me?)

DADGAD

Reaction score
Frank should frame those C&D letters. I would buy one of those minis as a travel guitar.

bosnialove

Reaction score
As I mentioned in the above post, they actually loved my miniatures early on. In fact, I've got pics of Henry, Rick Gembar and Edwin Wilson with the guitars. They even offered to paint my early 1/2 size miniatures. But that all changed once I started making playable ones and they thought I was selling them. Here's pic of Edwin Wilson with one of my minis (with me looking on):

Frank
Man, that is such a cute little guitar I had to wall a man to feel like a punch again

gevalt

Reaction score
I'll get hours of entertainment from matte's awe-inspiring photos.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:O

were those minies ever for sale?
No. Neither the 1/2 scale unplayable minis, nor the playable octave guitars, like Matte posted earlier, were ever for sale. Gibson made sure of that. :rolleyes:

Frank

goldtop0

Reaction score
Crikey Frank you ruffled the feathers of the big boys.......nothing wrong with that.
All the best.
Steve

Latest Threads