Frankenstein Les Paul

jay12399

Reaction score
I need your help hopefully getting info on this guitar. The story goes this guitar was cut up at the Nashville factory and someone dug the parts out of the trash and a luthier put it back together many years ago. I do believe it to be a Gibson but not sure of the approximate year. The pots and pickups have been changed so no info there. No serial number since headstock has been repaired. Maybe you guys can spot some things that might date it. It was cut through at the neck. There is a truss rod and it works. They put a piece of rosewood on fretboard where was cut. I believe headstock was cut thats why pieced together like it is. I believe neck was reset or another neck put on. It weighs around 10lbs. Neck is .893 at 1st and 1.017 at 12th. One piece mahagony body and neck. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Ace1

Reaction score
:io:

Wow, Not much to go off of...

I would assume that's the original neck with mostly non-original headstock. The truss rod would have been replaced since it's functional.

Did Gibson USA (nashville) do a long neck tenon guitar that wasn't a custom shop?

That's kind of a sloppy neck pocket, but maybe part of the rehab required to get the guitar functional,,,?

EpiPlustop

Reaction score
Pretty beat up guitar but a cool thing to have nonetheless.
Can't offer any advice though.

ARandall

Reaction score
Well.......

Firstly, the story could well be legit. Gibson did have a dumpster of seconds that had the logo removed in case of theft. But I don't know the extent to which this could be raided......as no seconds went out the door in recent times.

Secondly, the guitar itself. The cuts are done so the guitar should be trash. That mid neck cut means you have a full endgrain joint.....which without help could be broken apart by hand. So you need decent splines and maybe stiffening rods as well to create the strength. If the headstock cut is the same then you also need strengthening of the same type.

Third, the whole package. The best that can be said is that it's a curiosity. It's not really a Gibson any more, and it has too many compromises to hold really any value as a reliable instrument.

jay12399

Reaction score
I'm trying to inspect that cut at the neck to see if its just an 1/8 inch cut all the way around or was totally cut through? When I first saw the guitar I thought it could be an early eighties heritage with the neck dimensions,Long tenon and one piece body and neck? The guitar feels very solid and it plays great. I like thicker necks feels nice.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Heritage models or any Norlin era pre-Historics would never have a long tenon. Though the cavity route is similar to that era. Then tenon route looks hand cut... rather sloppy. It seems to have a rather shallow bridge pup route. I would have that guitar x-rayed just to see whats going on at the neck repair.

jay12399

Reaction score
Yeah. Im going to check into getting it x rayed. Never done that. Check with your doctor and local radiology businesses?

ARandall

Reaction score
The cut in the neck shaft is more than likely all the way through. How can I tell.....well they've had to add in a small chunk/sliver which is suspiciously similar to the width of a saw kerf. You wouldn't need to do that unless you were compensating for missing wood and maintaining scale length.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Im going to check into getting it x rayed. Never done that. Check with your doctor and local radiology businesses?
You could try the airport or court house..... or maybe not.....;)

rabidhamster

Reaction score
X-ray makes sense if you’re a doctor and can fudge some paperwork at your practice. The guys who have typically posted xrays of their guitars have been non-emergency doctors afaik.
Paying retail for an X-ray would probably exceed what this thing is worth.

Does it hold string tension and stay in tune? Looks like a wall-hanger to me

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Well.......

Firstly, the story could well be legit. Gibson did have a dumpster of seconds that had the logo removed in case of theft. But I don't know the extent to which this could be raided......as no seconds went out the door in recent times.

Secondly, the guitar itself. The cuts are done so the guitar should be trash. That mid neck cut means you have a full endgrain joint.....which without help could be broken apart by hand. So you need decent splines and maybe stiffening rods as well to create the strength. If the headstock cut is the same then you also need strengthening of the same type.

Third, the whole package. The best that can be said is that it's a curiosity. It's not really a Gibson any more, and it has too many compromises to hold really any value as a reliable instrument.
Nothing a good neck-replacement couldn't fix.

The body shape looks to be that of an early RI. Not your typical USA LP.

Hell, if the price was right, I would snag it as a project-guitar.

jay12399

Reaction score
I did buy the guitar. It actually plays very well. I need to put new strings on and clean it up but no tuning issues. It feels solid. Yeah I thought it could be a RI like the early eighties heritages but who knows? The back and neck seems to have been stripped. I can feel the grain and not cherry red. I can see some cherry in the control cavity and toggle switch cavity.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I suppose if the grain bothers you you could have it refinished and have the person doing the work add grain filler first. That's what makes the mahogany smooth.

Latest Threads