FrankenPaul: A Scrapwood LP

ExNihilo

Reaction score
I have always found it difficult to throw away the left over pieces from body blanks. I had an assortment of these scrap pieces and came to the conclusion that I must either toss them in the garbage, or make something out of them. I decided on the latter.

This is going to be an all Mahogany LP. Well, more like a non-maple LP. The body and top is made up of Honduran and South American mahogany, Korina, and Spanish cedar.

I joined the pieces so that the seams of the body and top are perpendicular to each other for maximum strength and stability. As you can see on the top, I also have a "wrong way" grain piece in the top. Truly monstrous.

In spite of the fact that the top is 8 pieces, I cannot tell any sonic difference from a solid piece. It is incredibly lively; airy, and woody.

TheZ

Reaction score
Great idea! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out - you always do amazing work.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Oh please do a natural finish on this one. It will be sooo interesting to look at.
And if this doesnt prove that multi piece bodies are fine then nothing will because im sure this will be nothing short of a fantastic guitar.

TheZ

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be curious to see what you're thinking as far as finish goes. Would make a neat Custom. Or even... all gold!

lowatter

Reaction score
Waste not want not. I'd love to see it end up with all gold finish.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
I love this (built a scrap wood dining table earlier this year). Please do a natural finish.

What are you plans for the neck? 5 piece? 7 piece? As-much-as-you-can piece?

elephantrider

Reaction score
i hope you put a clear finish of some kind on that to show that body off !

1981 LPC

Reaction score
That's beautiful. Clean work!

Is the belly/re-curve more pronounced than usual on (vintage design) Les Paul builds or is the laminate construction playing a trick on the eye?

ExNihilo

Reaction score
I made a series of videos to show how I use my carve templates. However, after filming them all, my external hard drive fell to the ground and broke. I lost all the videos except for the first one.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6aw2LM3SKg[/ame]