Fractal fm3 incoming

matthew bear

Reaction score
So, a lot of changes are happening in my life at the moment, and one of the primary ones is a desicion to build out and live in a van. I am making a very compact little studio inside, so a small digital solution was needed. My Kemper rack is obviously larger, and being a powered rack, draws an awful lot of juice compared to a unit like this. With solar panels and batteries ect, I need to keep amp hours to a minimum in the van :)

we have a long road ahead with the build, but I’m very exited to get back to fractal sounds :cool:
I had the axe 2 for a little while through some trades, and I really like the midrange that seems somewhat signature to fractals sound (there’s something I perceive as a warmth to the axe fx, hard to describe)
Plus you fractal guys always make me GAS so, I m glad I have a reason to give in now :laugh2:

also, anyone looking for a powered Kemper and some Kemper Kones, hit me up! I’m about to have a huge sell off of gear, kinda nervous to let some things go but it’s necessary :dunno:
If anyone has any tips for this unit, let me know :)
I’ll keep you posted on when it arrives!

Bro KV

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming to keep power consumption to a minimum, you’ll run through headphones? I have the AxeFX3 MK2 and really love it.

matthew bear

Reaction score
I’m assuming to keep power consumption to a minimum, you’ll run through headphones? I have the AxeFX3 MK2 and really love it.
I do have studio monitors as well, but yes headphones will be the primary thing… my system will be expandable as needed, so I’m aiming for the monitors :thumb:

matthew bear

Reaction score
I hope all is well, Matt. :thumb:

You know I live in my own little Fractal Audio low volume fantasy world. I am happy as a clam. :jam:
Thanks man! Actually, everything kinda fell apart this domestically,but I’m alright :D I’m making lemonade out of it, for sure! This will be a rolling man cave, I’m not exactly upset :laugh2:
Good luck with the van deal in general Matthew, that sounds fun!
thank you! :D
It’s pretty cool so far, I dabbled with it for a a trip up and down the East coast without any build… I learned a lot just from that!

matthew bear

Reaction score
My system is 200 watt solar, a 200 amp/hour battery, an dc/dc inverter (to charge while driving) and the only thing reliant on all this is my 12 volt fridge, and the 120v system (I’m only installing 2 outlets. All heat and cooking will be gas, so I should be okay. Total wattage for my monitors and the FM3 is 240. Not terrible! I’m leaving room for an additional 100watt panel on the roof, and another 200amp battery. Running almost everything on dc power (lights, chargers ect) draws very little amperage.
But I’m a noob :laugh2: so we’ll see…

matthew bear

Reaction score
The fm3 is good! I like it fine, with all the usual complaints I have with fractal (which are primarily me being unacquainted with the work flow).

i think with the editor it’s quite good, but I don’t find the layout (of the actual unit) to be intuitive at all. Without the editor I’d probably be frustrated and give up.

sound quality is on par with the Kemper, though they both have a little bit of a signature frequency response… fractal I find to be too bass heavy, so trimming the lows is required (Kemper doesn’t seem to have this problem).

overall, this will be perfect for the van, and really about as much as I could possibly ask for in terms of size and power consumption to variety and quality…
I just need to get used to the format. It’s a great price of gear :D

matthew bear

Reaction score
Before I pack the Kemper up and list it, I need to try the Kemper speaker imprints with the fractal models… that’s gonna be super fun and probably will make me bummed I can’t keep both after :laugh2:

matthew bear

Reaction score
Also, this is the best headphone experience I’ve had… no need to cut bass with them :eek2:

I’m playing the swart model and it’s very accurate to my AST in the room, they got the right reverb and trem! Pretty cool shit :D

mdubya

Reaction score
My notes on high and low cuts in the cab block (a must do imho).

It sounds like the stock settings are great for headphones, though.

low and hi cuts in the cab block to tame the sound: 85-125 and 4500-8500 respectively
If the unit is new and it is updated to the latest Cygnus firmware, you should be in good shape. Check the fractal forum for some threads about some new cab blocks in the works, optimized for headphones.

It won't take you long to catch on the the Fractal format.

I was annoyed at first by the AX8, but I feel like there is nothing I cannot do with it now. And it is pushing on 5 years old.

Once the FM9 is readily available, it is going to be hard to resist. I am so busy these days, though, I don't know if I have the extra bandwidth to learn anything new at the moment.

Are you back in FL?

Turning off the bright switch in almost every model is a big one for me, too.

Don't forget to try the AC20 and the Buttery and the Badgers and the Princetone. :dude:

matthew bear

Reaction score
@mdubya I’m back in Florida building this van out.
I think the bass may have to do with my monitors, I have some adjustment with them externally as well.
And yeah, the headphones sound really sweet, which is kinda mind blowing to me… I’ve always disliked headphones in these modelers but this is working :)

at first glance, it’s as good as the axe 2 was, only
In a smaller package. Honestly its more than
I need.

And yes, I’ve been taking notes from your Instagram posts, you’re kinda helping me find the goods :laugh2:

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Also, this is the best headphone experience I’ve had… no need to cut bass with them :eek2:

I’m playing the swart model and it’s very accurate to my AST in the room, they got the right reverb and trem! Pretty cool shit :D
I didn't know they actually modelled a Swart. Very cool if you actually own the amp model and say it is like the real thing. I didn't look at the FM3 because I wasn't sure I could justify the cost currently. I actually recently sold an HX Stomp because the headphone amp sounded horrible and I had noise issues with my unit (along with running out of DSP). I actually bought a Quilter Superblock and have gotten into pedal building so it is like going backwards in some ways I guess.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One thing about this gen of the Fractal stuff, the Headphone on the AFX3 and FM3 are excellent. AFX2 was good, but could be persnickity with some cans.

Latest Threads