Fractal FM3 announced (AX8 replacement/improvement)

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I`m about 3 weeks or so into my wait for my new Xitone Active Wedge loaded with Celestion F12-X200. As well, on the Wait List for the FM3. REALLY hoping I gel with the FM3. Cause the Kemper didn`t do it for me at all. I dunno, just got a feeling the FM3s going to be a magical experience. Knock on wood. ;p
Be real curious your opine on the F12-X200 Xitone. I love my 2x12 passive Xitone with the Eminance Coaxial speakers. I have an F12-X200 coming to put into a Speaker CAB I still have because of what I've heard about it.

Shai`tan

Reaction score
Well, I am curious to see how this sounds as well. I made my choice based upon a vid that was posted of a Guitar Builder testing out a Xitone powered wedge loaded with the F12-X200. And on my System/PC, with Cloud Orbit Planar Speaker headphones, it sounded really good too my ears. Here`s hoping. ;p

Axe2Grind

Reaction score
Nice, I hope you didn't bother to use the crappy USB lead that probably came with your FM3? I diid, and it broke my first FM3, pulled the middle part of the USB I/O out and I didn't realise and ended up bending all the pins and made the USB I/O useless, lucky they shipped me another the following week and all has been good since.

Best rig I've ever had by a long long way.

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
I don't think I took the USB cable out of the box. I haven't plugged it in to the PC yet, but I'll definitely avoid that cable. Appreciate the heads up.

Axe2Grind

Reaction score
I don't think I took the USB cable out of the box. I haven't plugged it in to the PC yet, but I'll definitely avoid that cable. Appreciate the heads up.
Yep, if its a silver USB cable and you got the FM3 from G66,eu European distributor for Fractal then chuck it in the bin and get a quality USB lead. I was one of many to suffer this fate so you'd think they'd stop shipping these dud cables.

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
Yep, if its a silver USB cable and you got the FM3 from G66,eu European distributor for Fractal then chuck it in the bin and get a quality USB lead. I was one of many to suffer this fate so you'd think they'd stop shipping these dud cables.
I got mine from the Fractal place here in the states. I actually went back and looked in the box, and I don't see a USB cable in there. I'm thinking mine didn't come with one.

Axe2Grind

Reaction score
I got mine from the Fractal place here in the states. I actually went back and looked in the box, and I don't see a USB cable in there. I'm thinking mine didn't come with one.
I think it was just G66.eu who were providing this silver USB cable and it caused such issues for many FM3 owners in Europe, I'm sure they must have learned their lesson by now but just thought I'd put it out there as I know I would have appreciated knowing this prior to getting my FM3.

I will recommend downloading Firmware V2.0 for the FM3. the PRS Archon amp channels they've provided in this revision is superb. FM3 now has all the amp models of the Axe Fx III.

Shai`tan

Reaction score
Finally got my FM3 up and running. I tried 2 of the amp presets so far. BassGuy.... and Marshall1959SL. Tbh..... this doesn`t sound like a processor. It sounds and FEELS like an Amp. Way waaaaay easier for me to navigate than the Kemper. Keep in mind I`m a Fractal nOOb as well. I ended up getting AustinBuddys Live Gold FM3 Tone Pack, and installed them on the FM3. Will try them later today. So far though, I`m pretty impressed.

And the FM3 sounds fantastic through my Celestion F12-X200 loaded Xitone Active Wedge.

mdubya

Reaction score
That is great to hear! :thumb:

One suggestion that made things almost perfect for me was to adjust the low cut and high cut in the cab block to: low ~ 100hz and high ~ 5-6khz. This puts you firmly in real guitar speaker frequency range. You may find you don't even need it.

I have been getting Fractal spam promoting the AXE 3 and FM 3. The AXE 3 seems to be permanently set at $2k right now. I am keeping my eyes peeled for any sort of additional incentive (like an FC6 or FC12 thrown in). I remain thoroughly content with my AX8 and Presonus monitor set up, but if a good deal comes along... :shock:

You make a great point with regards to feel. That may be where the 3's really shine. :hmm:

Shai`tan

Reaction score
Another thing. The default preset Legacy Cabs choices might not sound the best with a particular Amp. For example, I can`t remember atm what the default preset Legacy Cab pick was for the 010 Brit800.....but I didn`t like it. I went and picked a Cab called ScumTone 112..... and BAMMM! That Amp came alive.

So..... experiment! As well, I enrolled in Cooper Carters FM3 Master Class. If you are a Fractal nOOb..... this imho is a musthave course.

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
Another thing. The default preset Legacy Cabs choices might not sound the best with a particular Amp. For example, I can`t remember atm what the default preset Legacy Cab pick was for the 010 Brit800.....but I didn`t like it. I went and picked a Cab call ScumTone 112..... and BAMMM! That Amp came alive.

So..... experiment! As well, I enrolled in Cooper Carters FM3 Master Class. If you are a Fractal nOOb..... this imho is a musthave course.
Try the 20 watt greenback. :thumb:

ETA: I agree. You can scroll through the cab blocks and be, "meh" about one after another. Then you hit on one and it is like :wow:that is what I was looking for! Remember that one!

Latest Threads