Fractal FM3 announced (AX8 replacement/improvement)

fleahead

Reaction score
Cost me $425

70 high-quality AMP models that utilize MOOER’s non-liner amp modelling technology from the MICRO PREAMP series. Supports loading extra amp models via editing software.
  • TONE CAPTURE function allows you to sample and capture your real-life amplifier to create brand new digital amp models
  • 32 IR-based factory speaker cab models to emulate the same dynamics and feel of a real tube amp
  • 10 user slots to load in your favorite third-party IR files (2048 sample points)
  • 11 different effects blocks with over 180 high-quality effects
  • Stereo XLR (with dedicated output control), stereo 1/4" (with dedicated output control)
I'm not playing out anymore (that I know of), but "bang for the buck", this is the pony for me.

101295781_677357766159484_4683909398202941440_n.jpg

1591839437476.png

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
If I didn't like Fractal so much, I'd honestly go with a Helix.

This will be downsizing for me, as it'll free up a ton of space in my super crowded room. I'm sure my XL+ will garner some interest from someone.

matthew bear

Reaction score
Now with fractal offering this smaller pedal, I’d definitely consider snagging one down the road. I liked the the axe fx2, but I couldn’t justify the KPA and axe both.

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
@matthew bear I don't blame you. I've had the XL+ for 4 years now, and haven't seriously looked at anything else until the FM3 was announced, and I saw how compact it was.

HX Stomp would be my other choice, but FM3 feels like a no brainer for the features and price point.

jeggz

Reaction score
i only jumped into the “modeling pool“ in April of 19. I started gigging a BiasHead, used it flawlessly till just a few weeks ago.

Got an FM3.

The amp modeling is much more realistic, and I thought the BiasHead was great. Having all the FX built in was just an added bonus.

mdubya

Reaction score
i only jumped into the “modeling pool“ in April of 19. I started gigging a BiasHead, used it flawlessly till just a few weeks ago.

Got an FM3.

The amp modeling is much more realistic, and I thought the BiasHead was great. Having all the FX built in was just an added bonus.
Great feedback, Johnny.

It is always good to hear some perspective.

I don't favor the kinds of heavy tones you use, but holy jeebus does Fractal ever have some great high gain tones. :dude::dude::dude:

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great feedback, Johnny.

It is always good to hear some perspective.

I don't favor the kinds of heavy tones you use, but holy jeebus does Fractal ever have some great high gain tones. :dude::dude::dude:
And for that matter, a great sounding Twin, or Princeton, or Vox AC30 delivered to my music room, or stage of my choice, at the press of a button or footswitch.

I went with the Axe FX III a while back (but haven't yet let go of my Axe FX II as it still has purpose in life). The Cab IRs that I used to have to buy are dwarfed by the stock cabs in the Axe FX III. It is a monumentally good way of making music for me. My only complaint is of being spoilt for choice and my own creative imagination. There isn't so much it cannot do.

I know the FM3 has some slight restrictions for cab modelling, but none that would have limited me in the slightest so far. As Axe FX III "lite", I think they got all of the desired featured, #1 being the generation of great tone. This is serious kit for serious people, and if I was in the market for this sort of thing (my next footpedal board will cost me almost as much), I would not hesitate.

Liam

Shai`tan

Reaction score
I`m about 3 weeks or so into my wait for my new Xitone Active Wedge loaded with Celestion F12-X200. As well, on the Wait List for the FM3. REALLY hoping I gel with the FM3. Cause the Kemper didn`t do it for me at all. I dunno, just got a feeling the FM3s going to be a magical experience. Knock on wood. ;p

mdubya

Reaction score
I`m about 3 weeks or so into my wait for my new Xitone Active Wedge loaded with Celestion F12-X200. As well, on the Wait List for the FM3. REALLY hoping I gel with the FM3. Cause the Kemper didn`t do it for me at all. I dunno, just got a feeling the FM3s going to be a magical experience. Knock on wood. ;p

It should be good out of the box, but it can take some time to truly unlock the way you want it to sound. Have faith. All the magick is in there!

One of the most subtle but great things for me was learning to set the high and low cuts on the cab blocks. Out of the box they are set wide open. That is OK, but dialing it in to my preference has been a real key for me. That, and there is one 20 watt greenback cab block that is just perfect for what I like. So everything remotely British or Marshally gets that cab block. That one sounds more like a good real Pulsonic Celestion than most real speakers trying to be a vintage greenback do.

mdubya

Reaction score
P.S. the Xitone sounds different set at 90 degrees than it does as a wedge, too. I like mine set at 90 degrees and aimed right at me.

Shai`tan

Reaction score
I`m STILL waiting for my Xitone from Mick. Going into 3 months now. And no updates from him. hmmmmm

mdubya

Reaction score
I`m STILL waiting for my Xitone from Mick. Going into 3 months now. And no updates from him. hmmmmm
Yikes.

Small businesses are difficult to trust anymore.

Is he ignoring attempts to contact him?

Shai`tan

Reaction score
Lets just say his replies are few.... and far between.

His 1st reply said he was still waiting for the Dayton Amp Orders to arrive. Next reply said he was having trouble getting the F12-X200 speaker. I`d have been ok if he didn`t have anything in stock to just tell me that at the beginning, and reimburse me tbh. Aaaaah well.

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
It is frustrating. I know supply lines are dodgy around the world these days.

If you are tired of waiting, you could contact your CC company for a charge back.

I forget, is this for at home playing? If so, I would recommend studio monitors over the Xitone. (Presonus, JBL, Yamaha, Adam).

Sorry if I am repeating myself. I have both. The Xitone sounds great, but I bought a set of Presonus e4.5's on closeout at Fractal's recommendation. I basically don't even turn on the Xitone anymore. Nothing wrong with it, but the Presonus are just great.

I would like to try a set of Adam A series at some point, but I really am 100% satisfied with my Presonus rig.

mdubya

Reaction score
I wonder if @frankv still has Mick's ear?

I bought my Xitone from Frank. No hassles. Perfect service. :thumb:

Shai`tan

Reaction score
For my home playing I am using Amplitube 4 into Studio Monitors while I wait for my FM3 Invite. The Xitone will be for home playing as well, and basement jams. I can handle the wait tbh, but what I really don`t dig is not being told anything via timely progress updates.
If there are issues, kindly inform me. Get me? And it makes me feel bad when I have to ask for progress updates. Not cool imho. Atm I`m giving Mick the benefit of the doubt. So lets see how this plays out.

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
For my home playing I am using Amplitube 4 into Studio Monitors. The Xitone will be for home playing as well, and basement jams. I can handle the wait tbh, but what I really don`t dig is not being told anything via timely progress updates.
If there are issues, kindly inform me. Get me? And it makes me feel bad when I have to ask for progress updates. Not cool imho. Atm I`m giving Mick the benefit of the doubt. So lets see how this plays out.
It sucks.

Last year I had to start making threats to a well know luthier to get back a guitar I had dropped off to him. He apologized, but holding my guitar for four months with no replies was super lame.

Latest Threads