Found wood, Now I need to know which wood

mangus

Reaction score
Hi,
Today I decided to go through my gramps old wood and I came across a few interesting pieces thick enough to be used (albeit I would have to cut and glue to achieve the width required) in my LesPaul special endeavour.
Now, when it comes to living trees I can identify most(of the typical ones in my area) really well as I've been planting them and growing them for fifteen years.. However, If my life depended of identifying them in board or dry form I would most definitely perish as I can't tell between oak and sweet chestnut.

Can someone help me identify what I have?

here are some pictures:
hosting imagenes
hosting imagenes
these two pieces were beams in my gramp's roof(we replaced them with concrete beams) and I suspect they must be oak.
hosting imagenes
My dad tells me this one is oak, It's all sort of crooked but not transversely, which makes it look really good for a bar..
hosting imagenes
hosting imagenes
hosting imagenes
I found this in an old shack where my grandfather used to store some of his wood, I think it's sweet chestnut but... If I was sure I wouldn't be asking you..
hosting imagenes
This is all the wood we got from the roof. considering it had been there for more than 50 years I actually think it's still in very good condition. Is it oak?

Marty M.

Reaction score
You'll have to expose the wood from the dirt in order to have people guess what it is :).

Windir

Reaction score
I guess is it's species known as tomuchius dirtius AKA common soilwood. You can expose it's gorgeous grain-pattern by sanding/planing away the surface, which is infamously messy job to do.

mangus

Reaction score
Message received, captain obvious Sir!. I shall proceed with the sanding sir!

pshupe

Reaction score
Pictures aren't showing up for me?? Everyone else see them?

Cheers Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
I see them now. You mention this is "gramps old wood". Was he a wood worker or is it just a pile of construction lumber? There could be some pretty rotten boards in there, or some nicely spalted ones. Are they light or heavy? Do they feel hard or soft? Where are you located? I'd recommend planning instead of sanding. It'll take you forever if you are sanding unless you have a belt sander with 60 grit or something.

Hopefully it is a nice score of great looking wood.

Cheers Peter.

mangus

Reaction score
My grandfather was a farmer but everytime a good tree was chopped he used to keep some wood. the wood you see on the floor was from his house's roof.. His private stash was kept in a shack, i know there's some chestnut, oak and cherry among others but I'm illiterate in timber and lumber

mangus

Reaction score
He had a few old woodplanes.. I'll see if I can find them

cmjohnson

Reaction score
"Shaq" is a basketball player.

A shack is where you keep stuff.

Setting that aside, got some sandpaper and a block?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
...I think I'll need to keep my eye on this thread..

mangus

Reaction score
"Shaq" is a basketball player.

A shack is where you keep stuff.

Setting that aside, got some sandpaper and a block?
Thanks! My phone is obviously into basketball.. Not into free throws though..

mangus

Reaction score
I showed the entire pile to a friend who works as a carpenter.. It's oak and apparently very light(in colour ) so I'm going to continue looking for what I want.. Dark wood I can afterwards finish with tru oil.