Found one like the one that got away.

R'nien

Reaction score
I looked on the tracking and the guitar isn’t showing up until Friday now instead of Wednesday. Bummer.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Think yourself lucky its not got far to go. I have 2 separate deliveries of pickup on route from the US continent to Australia - and they're up to about 6 weeks delay so far.

R'nien

Reaction score
^ Think yourself lucky its not got far to go. I have 2 separate deliveries of pickup on route from the US continent to Australia - and they're up to about 6 weeks delay so far.
Oh bummer. I only need to wait a little over a week. Good way to look at it.

ARandall

Reaction score
At least you know a great guitar is on its way. Lets hope it sounds as good as it looks.

mjross

Reaction score
Good for you! I think over the years we have all done the same. You know what, I’ve got a CME “58” that is just stellar. We should NEVER discount the “58”. Congratz!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Look forward to seeing some pics of it once you have her, the two look like they could be sisters!

Congrats and hopefully this will fill the void somewhat, sure looks like it should do

R'nien

Reaction score
Look forward to seeing some pics of it once you have her, the two look like they could be sisters!

Congrats and hopefully this will fill the void somewhat, sure looks like it should do
Yes, after I play her for a bit I'll give a full report with pictures.

jonnyglock9

Reaction score
Wow, the resemblance is uncanny! I hope it fills the void. I know what it's like to regret the loss of a particular guitar.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
My first R9 was a Brazilian I bought in early 2018 - I had an R7 since 2003 and avoided flame tops because I knew it would start the addiction... and it definitely did. Anyway, it was amazing - it just had that special something that made it fit like a glove - and still has one of my favorite tops of all time, I’ve never seen another one quite like it. It had a super 3D quality and looked very different at every angle. But there was another guitar I just *HAD* to have, and I sold it to fund the new one. Since it was my first, I didn’t know how great it was until here I am 3 years and a couple dozen R9s later and it still is one of the best feeling, playing, and looking Les Pauls I’ve ever had. And I didn’t even keep the guitar I bought with the money! Great guitar but didn’t click with me. It doesn’t keep me up at night but when I think about it I really regret it. That said, I know it’s with a forum member now so in a good home and being taken care of.
LfEvMeJ.jpg

zamdrang

Reaction score
If looks are your only concern it's not hard to replace one that got away. Tone on the other hand..

R'nien

Reaction score
I've had a few days to play this guitar. So far I am extremely happy with my purchase. The neck feels a little smaller than I remember on my original which isn't a bad thing. My friend said we can compare them soon so I'm looking forward to that. I know that guitars from this era are not as accurate as more recent ones but I feel like these just have something special going on. I love the carve on the top. The guitar has been played and has some checking that has developed. It makes sense that it has wear because the best sounding guitars get played right? I'll get more pics up soon and will when I am able to get the two guitars together. That may be a while because of COVID. But for now, here's a shot.

rXMbrfZ.jpg

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
0MJgWr.jpg

Hey Pete. It Is a beautiful LP with a deep woody resonant tone that is just phenomenal. It’s probably my second favorite Lester next to another Brazilian R9 directly to the right of it in the above picture. That guitar with a pair of Rewind True Kalamzoos is the best sounding Les Paul i ever put my hands on.

I love all my historics though as each has it’s own unique voice. and i hear you it’s hard letting go. I sold an acoustic Taylor I should‘ve kept, so the guitar journey begins again.

Pete, if i recall correctly you have a bevy a beautiful historics and a few Brazilians. i hear what you‘re saying about the draw of the flame top. I have my eye on two now. I’m trying to resist because I certainly don’t need another R9. Gibson knew what they were doing with the Burst. It’s commercial realization just came some years later lol.

Also, let me extend a hearty congrats to the OP. What a sweet ax. I hope it brings you many years of joy. Although I’m not sure what you mean by good wood years.

My first R9 was a Brazilian I bought in early 2018 - I had an R7 since 2003 and avoided flame tops because I knew it would start the addiction... and it definitely did. Anyway, it was amazing - it just had that special something that made it fit like a glove - and still has one of my favorite tops of all time, I’ve never seen another one quite like it. It had a super 3D quality and looked very different at every angle. But there was another guitar I just

*HAD* to have, and I sold it to fund the new one. Since it was my first, I didn’t know how great it was until here I am 3 years and a couple dozen R9s later and it still is one of the best feeling, playing, and looking Les Pauls I’ve ever had. And I didn’t even keep the guitar I bought with the money! Great guitar but didn’t click with me. It doesn’t keep me up at night but when I think about it I really regret it. That said, I know it’s with a forum member now so in a good home and being taken care of.
LfEvMeJ.jpg

Last edited:

R'nien

Reaction score
Although I’m not sure what you mean by good wood years.
Good wood refers to when Gibson used outrageous flame tops for their guitars. Around 1993-2002 they put some on the most beautiful tops. Some retailers are asking up to $30,000 for early examples. In 2003 they stopped putting flame tops on 1958 reissues and they wouldn’t return until years later. So that’s all I meant by good wood. Not at all saying the wood back then was better sounding, just many of the tops were amazing.

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good wood refers to when Gibson used outrageous flame tops for their guitars. Around 1993-2002 they put some on the most beautiful tops. Some retailers are asking up to $30,000 for early examples. In 2003 they stopped putting flame tops on 1958 reissues and they wouldn’t return until years later. So that’s all I meant by good wood. Not at all saying the wood back then was better sounding, just many of the tops were amazing.

Gtk. Yeah, i’m seen some of those mega tops. I like the tops on both off yours. They have a strong “vintagey“ flame top that I frankly prefer.

I had a 2001 lemonburst R8 with some nice flame. Sweet axe and i liked the bright lemony color. The only downside for me at last was the neck was huge. I think it was bigger than an 06 R7 i had at the time.

Anyway, I like stories like this. Finding the one that got away or one just like it. Good stuff!

R'nien

Reaction score
Gtk. Yeah, i’m seen some of those mega tops. I like the tops on both off yours. They have a strong “vintagey“ flame top that I frankly prefer.

I had a 2001 lemonburst R8 with some nice flame. Sweet axe and i liked the bright lemony color. The only downside for me at last was the neck was huge. I think it was bigger than an 06 R7 i had at the time.

Anyway, I like stories like this. Finding the one that got away or one just like it. Good stuff!
Do you have any pictures of your guitar?

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
0MJgWr.jpg

Hey Pete. It Is a beautiful LP with a deep woody resonant tone that is just phenomenal. It’s probably my second favorite Lester next to another Brazilian R9 directly to the right of it in the above picture. That guitar with a pair of Rewind True Kalamzoos is the best sounding Les Paul i ever put my hands on.

I love all my historics though as each has it’s own unique voice. and i hear you it’s hard letting go. I sold an acoustic Taylor I should‘ve kept, so the guitar journey begins again.

Pete, if i recall correctly you have a bevy a beautiful historics and a few Brazilians. i hear what you‘re saying about the draw of the flame top. I have my eye on two now. I’m trying to resist because I certainly don’t need another R9. Gibson knew what they were doing with the Burst. It’s commercial realization just came some years later lol.

Also, let me extend a hearty congrats to the OP. What a sweet ax. I hope it brings you many years of joy. Although I’m not sure what you mean by good wood years.

Ah ha! You’re the guy who owns it now! I forgot your handle but I knew it was someone on the forum. I’m just glad you’re appreciating it. Great guitar. Beyond the deep woody tone, there was just something about the feel and playability of it that just fit me like a glove and I think it even made me play better! I do own 1 other Brazilian R9, as well as a Brazilian R0 and 2003 Brazilian R7. Thankfully I like my other R9 almost as much as the one you now own. But I do miss it and regret selling it (especially for the price I sold it for - ugh). Anyway, lesson learned. Your other guitars are gorgeous too.

To the OP, that guitar looks incredible, and I know what you mean about the good wood years. There’s something about my 2003 R7 that just feels higher quality than anything I’ve bought since. And just look at the rosewood on your fretboard - nice and dark, dense and smooth... The rosewood they’re using these days looks and feels much different. I bought a 2020 60th Ann. R0 recently and the board was much lighter, streaky, and actually a little rough to the touch. I sanded and polished it myself and darkened it with Fret Doctor oil, so it looks and feels much better (and it’s actually a great guitar), but it still doesn’t look like what you have there. Same thing happened with a 2019 60th Anniversary R9 I bought (and sold). The rosewood on my 2008 R8 is much closer to what you have on yours - much denser, darker and even-colored, and super smooth. The rosewood they’re using these days feels very different to me.

cherrick

Reaction score
The only one I regret selling was an authentic Les Paul Goldtop 1952 (trapeze).
Oops. Wrong forum.

jwehrman

Reaction score
I've had a total of 5 R9's thus far. The first two were a '59 2016 TH and a Reeder Burst (CC). The third was a Murphy painted (only). Both were traded for a pair of WW Murphy Painted & Aged - which aren't going anywhere - ever.

The '16 TH was a great starter. But there were things I was never completely settled on. It was my first Reissue, and I was green to the market. The top was pretty flat, though at the time it seemed like the world's end. The color drove me crazy. It was marked as a bourbon, but bordered on Vintage Cherry. In time I realized I wanted a full on cherry, so I traded up for a Murphy painted.

Then a WW Murphy lemon (aged) popped up. I had to have it. It was a painful decision to let go of the Reeder, as it had a really unique neck shape. But the Murphy ended up being the right decision. It had more dynamic and nuance. The Reeder had a mean bark that was dark, but that's about it. And the neck on the Lemon Murphy is hands down the best I've ever touched.

I ended up parting with the Cherry Murphy for another WW Murphy aged (cherry). That was almost harder than the Reeder. I was going sight/unseen. Luckily I was able to A/B the two at home. In the end the WW Murphy had a bit more resonance and clarity. That was a close one. Sometimes I miss that one. But it's a fleeting thought.

No regrets yet, and I intend to keep it that way. It would take a mighty fine piece of wood to challenge the other two. But considering the rarity of WW Murphy's stuff second hand, it would be a trade down to go the routine reissue route. I'm quitting while I'm ahead.

Latest Threads