Found a Tokai loverock can anyone help me find out if it Jap or chinese?

ren2008

Reaction score
they sell for 300$USD... make sure you don't pay over 400$USD if you ever decide to buy it.

nwobhm

Reaction score
Easiest way I know is the number of screws on the truss rod cover - 2 screws = Japanese, 3 screws = Korean/Chinese.
Alot of people make this mistake, probably because it gets repeated on the internet so many times. Some of the early 90's korean love rocks had the 2 screw covers. I had one for awhile.

longjaw

Reaction score
Alot of people make this mistake, probably because it gets repeated on the internet so many times. Some of the early 90's korean love rocks had the 2 screw covers. I had one for awhile.
i'll bear that in mind - cheers

Subcomandante Claes

Reaction score
Hello guys

Maybe someone could be kind and help me too. I just saved a beat up old Tokai Love Rock from a Cash Converter and would like to know when and where it was made. I have spent the whole night cleaning it and I still need to fix one of the pots, it was in a terrible state. Do you guys think there is any chance that mine could be made in Japan or is it a cheap Korea / China? How old is it, could it be from 1991 if the serial number is 9103093? Which model is it? The only numbers I can see inside is 9 - 83, -55, What does that mean? Thanks for all the help guys.

jacco

Reaction score
Yes that's a Japanese Tokai from 1991, a LS-55.

tonebone

Reaction score
That's what I figured, cost ¥55,000 in 1991. A slight price increase of ¥5,000 over the 1980's price.

What does the 83 mean though, curious.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Japanese = Respectful euphemism
Jap = WWII derogatory offensive term ;)

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah what about em?
My wife has a killer set of those...she can cut glass with em

Subcomandante Claes

Reaction score
I have just managed to refret my Tokai Love Rock LS-55 from 1991. It was a lot of hard work because of the edge binding but I'm very pleased with the result. You can read about it here: How to

MrGansburg

Reaction score
Japanese = Respectful euphemism
Jap = WWII derogatory offensive term ;)
Granted, bit I thought we’d manage to get through the thread without this raising its head again. Surely if the OP had any racist or other offensive intent he would have used a 'derogatory’ term for Chinese as well. Offence is starting to be seen where there is none :dunno:.

alcxam

Reaction score
Granted, bit I thought we’d manage to get through the thread without this raising its head again. Surely if the OP had any racist or other offensive intent he would have used a 'derogatory’ term for Chinese as well. Offence is starting to be seen where there is none :dunno:.
Yea, I see what you're saying, but racist language is just that.

It's racist whether it was meant as such or not. Ignorance is no defence - try harder (to understand) next time!

MrGansburg

Reaction score
Yea, I see what you're saying, but racist language is just that.

It's racist whether it was meant as such or not. Ignorance is no defence - try harder (to understand) next time!
Finishing your sentence with an exclamation mark does not make your post any less condescending or arrogant.