Found a Tokai loverock can anyone help me find out if it Jap or chinese?

Jimbo

Reaction score
Its a Tokai loverock serial number is 080668 is it a real japenese one? if so i have found a bargain.

MojoMonster

Reaction score
Its a Tokai loverock serial number is 080668 is it a real japenese one? if so i have found a bargain.
I make no claims to accuracy but from what I read, that's an '08 model.
No idea of country of origin, but perusing here might help.

Good luck.
MM

Jimbo

Reaction score
I dunno i was thinking it was a 80s model, and the serial number is 6 digits and its inked on the back of the headstock, im wondering if its an early 80s model, maybes a les paul reborn? its £300 and if its a real jap model, thats gotta be a bargain. im gonna sell my Epiphone Elitist EB3 bass guitar to fund it.

hank

Reaction score
First it's a "love rock" and now, perhaps, a "Les Paul Reborn".

Why don't you post a complete/quality set of pictures. I'll be glad to add to that.

Jimbo

Reaction score
No if the les paul reborns where also stamped love rock, apart from the very early ones. Im just telling you what i have gleaned from the net. Will try and get some pics.

It does say Tokai Love rock on the guitar.

hank

Reaction score
Sorry, I may be misunderstanding something. For one, LP Reborns are NOT Love Rocks. There are many Love Rock variations. Without specifics it is extremely hard to guess. I'd be happy to weigh in an opinion if you are able to provide such pics.

Good luck. :fingersx:

Jimbo

Reaction score
Is there a easy way to tell if the tokai love rock is made in japan/china/or korea??

doublecut

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to ID a MIJ Tokai. The pickup cavity holes at the bottom of the pickup cavity are square shaped for the MIJ Tokais. Most/all the MIJ Tokai's and other brands made by Tokai in Japan have 2 square shaped pickup cavity holes at the bottom of the pickup cavity. It's because of the routers Tokai uses in Japan. Most/all other guitar factories use routers that produce 2 rectangular shaped pickup cavity holes at the bottom of the pickup cavity.

So no need to look at truss od covers or bridges, just look at the pickup cavity.

Tokai Japan Square Holes

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=66140#66140

longjaw

Reaction score
Is there a easy way to tell if the tokai love rock is made in japan/china/or korea??
Easiest way I know is the number of screws on the truss rod cover - 2 screws = Japanese, 3 screws = Korean/Chinese.

Jimbo

Reaction score
Well i have a few not very good pics, but im suspicious its a fake or made in china or korea now. Some issues are... it has 1 screw in the truss rod cover at the top, the truss rod cover had a thin celophane cover over it as did the bridge pickup. The bridge has large posts with the flat head screw tops, not small Gibson like ones, and nothing on the back of the headstock to say where it was made, just ser no in gold 6 digits. No binding on fretboard etc. it looks pretty old, but i reckon its not japanese.

Be intresing to look under those pickups though thanks mate.

tonebone

Reaction score
Title of a ZZ Top song fits here,

"wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole"

Jimbo

Reaction score
Just as i thought, lol thanks im glad i didnt sell my elitist for this now.

doublecut

Reaction score
Here is a Tokai ALS-43 that is not made in Japan.

The pickup cavity holes are rectangular. Another thing is that the Japanese Tokais have a Diagonal wiring channel (from the pickup toggle switch cavity to the volume and tone cavity) that is just under the Maple cap. This ALS-43 does not have a Diagonal wiring channel.

Pete Illson

Reaction score
i think its a fakai, there seems to be a lot of them around,it could be a chinese one,i am not sure,I have a 1980 tokai love rock if you want to buy one.
the reborn and love rocks are the same thing, they just had to change there name due to legal reasons, same as the springy sound(it had a fender logo font)

Jimbo

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that was a real close shave. Theres no way im selling my elitist EB3 to fund this then. I may though sell my guitar on the bay and maybes get a real Jap Tokai or Burny from a reputable seller.

Pete If you lived in the UK I might have, but I would need to shift my Elitist EB3 first, unless youd be intrested in a swap?

Pete Illson

Reaction score
I am in the uk, not sure I want an elitist though,but I dont know much about them,you can see my guitar in the classifieds bit