found 58 Es-175

Hebaton-SP

Reaction score
Not sure where I should post this. Just picked up a 58 ES-175. SOmeone offering me 2K for the pups and buttons. Shoul I sell and replace with "aged " new parts ?

ARandall

Reaction score
Is this 2k for 2 PAF pickups (pups) and the (strap?) buttons??

Unmolested PAF's with provenance go for 4-5k each now (at the upper range).

Plus you'll get way more depreciation for the guitar being unoriginal. Even if the parts are not what I've guessed.

Hebaton-SP

Reaction score
SO I should really keep it all. Honestlyt thes pups where mangled with it's not all clear. but Blacklight test, mesurements, the obvious aging, the shape of the bobins ( yes covers where removed ) everything says the are the real tihng.

NOw, Where I to sell sll that and instal newer parts, wouldn't that guitar stil be worth 4 to 5 K ?

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Pups? Shouldn't that guitar have one pickup?

vaguely

Reaction score
Not sure where I should post this. Just picked up a 58 ES-175. SOmeone offering me 2K for the pups and buttons. Shoul I sell and replace with "aged " new parts ?
if that were mine and those were actually PAF's and I wasn't thrilled with the guitar, I would put those pickups into something I really love and keep the husk as is (or even rebuild the husk with alternate pickups). my two unsolicited cents...

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, I gotta say-there'd be no functional difference to you between selling off the p/us & just leaving it whole and giving it to me. Guess which option I prefer.......:cool2:

DaveSG

Reaction score
FWIW, Anytime I look at an ad for an old late 50s ES-175 or ES-5 or whatnot and it contains a phrase similar to the following..."And the original pickups have been replaced w/ a wonderful, awe-inspiring set of...." I close the ad immediately.

judson

Reaction score
why did you buy it?

did you buy to sell the parts off and recoup a portion of your cost or all if you got a great deal?

check reverb pricing for 175D without original pups and go from there....if thats a maybe plan

i like poster vaguely idea of put them in a different guitar and keep the husk for later or sell off the husk

its yours do what you want....but curious what your original intent was...:hmm:

Hebaton-SP

Reaction score
I got the thing to play it ! that was the original intent. Then came offers to perchase the parts at a price that would make the remaining instrument free. SO my questionning is about tone, how much of that extraordinary sweetness I now get would I find with new "boutique" pickups ?

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep them.
swap them if u want a different tone but keep the originals...

never sell anything imho....only leads to regret
-chris

Latest Threads