Forum's input on choosing First Les Paul

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind a traditional has a thicker 50’s neck and the standards have the thinner 60’s neck.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 2008 will be chambered.......not weight relieved but completely chambered.

If the serial number of the 2008 (#122800566) you listed is correct it's a 2010 made 2008 model.

Last edited:

BronieV

Reaction score
A 2008 will be chambered.......not weight relieved but completely chambered.

If the serial number of the 2008 (#122800566) you listed is correct it's a 2010 made 2008 model.
I didn't know they keep producing given model in following years. So it's same specs, built as listed in 2008 model just made in 2010, yes? No changes compared to the ones that left the factory in 2008?

Edit:
Chambered guitars looks scary inside :eek: it's almost empty. I found opinion that they are prone to feedback in high volume/high-gain situation. I usually use in-ear monitors and I lower the gain more and more over the years but still it might be downside. I will dig deeper into that topic - thanks!

Edit2:
So after more research I found that 2019 Traditional would be only one with solid body. Standard would be chambered and 120th anniversary would be modern weight relieved. It's so exciting finding so much details about those guitars :D

Last edited:

filtersweep

Reaction score
Buying without playing them means you're rolling the dice. So buying the guitar with the best ratio of price to attractiveness of top makes the most sense if it's a dud and you have to flip it.

Not trying to rain on the parade but if they were GREAT guitars they wouldn't be for sale. Putting your hands on one is the only real way to sort them. Neck size, shape and stiffness are paramount. Resonance, sustain and tone fill out the rest. Anything else is pretty much just a which one has the best top contest.
Totally disagree. I have sold plenty of great guitars that I had no emotional connection to because I own 12 guitars.

Several sales I later regretted.

My Standards are great- but since buying a Reissue, i rarely play them anymore. Thequality didn’t change because I bought something else.

sparky2

Reaction score
120th Anniversary, Midnight Blue.

Great guitar, and the potential for a higher resale value some day is there.
It's unique.

:cool2:

Injector

Reaction score
I
I would choose the 2008 Les Paul Standard, through the process of elimination.
If you're used to playing super strats, that LP Traditional neck is going to feel like a tree trunk to you. As for the 120th Anniversary, I think if you play high gain rock and metal(like I do), you'll be disappointed in the amount of output from those 59s. My Studio has burstbuckers and they sound good playing metal through my DSL and 6505. Just my opinion, hope this helps.
I hated the neck of my 2019 Traditional and it's why I sold it. Not fat at all. Not a slim taper, not a baseball bat. It was slim at the nut and to around the 9th fret where it went a bit chunkier. A really horrid carve that I could never warm to.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know they keep producing given model in following years. So it's same specs, built as listed in 2008 model just made in 2010, yes? No changes compared to the ones that left the factory in 2008?

Edit:
Chambered guitars looks scary inside :eek: it's almost empty. I found opinion that they are prone to feedback in high volume/high-gain situation. I usually use in-ear monitors and I lower the gain more and more over the years but still it might be downside. I will dig deeper into that topic - thanks!

Edit2:
So after more research I found that 2019 Traditional would be only one with solid body. Standard would be chambered and 120th anniversary would be modern weight relieved. It's so exciting finding so much details about those guitars :D
Correct... the 2008 spec model continued thru 2011....and would be stamped “2008 model” on the back of the headstock thru that period .

Oig

Reaction score
I'm curious where you're seeing those prices? When I was looking a couple of months back on Craigslist round my neck of the woods (NY/NJ) and on Reverb, I couldn't find a Standard or Trad for less than $1800. Most were asking $1900 and over.

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I miss my 2014 anniversary Les Paul.. Great tone, fat neck. Love the blue (Mine was Honey burst). That would be my choice.

BronieV

Reaction score
I'm curious where you're seeing those prices? When I was looking a couple of months back on Craigslist round my neck of the woods (NY/NJ) and on Reverb, I couldn't find a Standard or Trad for less than $1800. Most were asking $1900 and over.
I'm not from USA. I live in Poland and I found them at stores in Asia, mostly Japan resellers. There are some large stores that I guess after right verification can be trusted :D

Oig

Reaction score
Ah, ok. For what it's worth, I've got a 2014 Trad and I love it!

Cory

Reaction score
Hey There!
I'm looking for my first Les Paul and I found three that might be interesting + be a good deal. I have no real chance of checking those exact guitars before buying - however every time i bought guitar from other country and had it sent to me it always turned out great so far. I'm playing rather heavier music, lets say shred style so I'm looking for Santa Cruz/Zakk Wylde sound. I've been superstrat/strat guy but I seen no problem with classic LP neck size so everything seems great to play.
I've found those:

LES PAUL STANDARD 2008 ICED TEA
Price: $1,412.95
Burstbucker Pro pickups
asymmetrical neck profile
Gig Bag

GIBSON LES PAUL TRADITIONAL 2019 TOBACCO BURST
Price: $1,518.46
Round Neck with 50’s style
Burst Backers 1 & 2 (PAF replica)
Hard Case

GIBSON 120TH ANNIVERSARY LES PAUL TRADITIONAL MANHATTAN MIDNIGHT
Price: $1,541.40
Pickups: 59’ Tribute Pickups
special inlay on the 12th fret and limited coloring
Hard Case

I'm looking for opinions about those models, and general input while I'm thinking about the options there. 120th anniversary traditional has 59' tribute pickups that i heard are awesome choice. Les Paul Standard 2008 with asymmetrical neck might be better for my style of playing (no chance to try this one before). Traditional 2019 will be least used so thats a plus. Maybe something else would be a good choice? I'm looking for used LP somewhere around that price tag (it will be around $180 more with shipping). Willing to learn something from You experienced LP guys :)
If neck size truly is not a potential issue for you I’d go 2019 traditional every day of the week out of that list - another fantastic option if you can pony up some extra coin would be a used ‘57 goldtop reissue - quintessential LP - nothing is cooler or classier than a goldtop in my humble opinion

jadm110

Reaction score
Not entirely true, sometimes people have to sell GREAT guitars because they need the money or for other personal reasons. Sometimes they even price them to sell quickly and a GREAT guitar can be had for a killer price.
if the guitar was that great one of the owners close friends would probably buy it. but since they passed you see it on line for sale

Latest Threads